Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Direct wire fuel pumps or not?

Bought an old 1979 930 and have discovered that the fuel pumps have been directly wired to run when the key is in ON position before start-up. It was a home made job and needs to be re-done/cleaned up. My question is: What overwhelming reason is there NOT to leave the pumps directly wired. The car runs fine so I do not see a reason to alter the set up - other than cleaning up the prior owner's sloppy job. Any thoughts?
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 03-08-2007, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

The only argument I can suggest against having the fuel pumps run without the car actually running, is that you run a greater risk of filling the combustion chambers with raw fuel. If you ever just switched on the key to listen to the radio for instance and forgot that the pumps are running - this would be a bad thing the next time you tried to start it and that fuel hadn't evaporated...you could actually hydro-lock the engine. However, I know there are many owners out there that like this setup. If you keep it just continue to be cognizant.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

FWIW, I only disconnect this "safety feature", when I need to connect my CIS pressure gauges to test something, and I need the fuel pumps to be running.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

One other instace where having this feature connected saved me, was back when my CDI ignition box had it's electrical harness come loose. The car continued to crank and crank and crank but would never start! Had my fuel pumps been running that entire time, I think I would have been in trouble!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The injectors will not fire until the air meter plate moves.

I have my fuel pumps wired that way for tuning purposes, to verify the system fuel presure. Another positive for that method of wiring is that it allows you to presurize the fuel system before you attempt to start the car. Good for cars that hit the roads on weekends only.

As long as you are mindfull of the situation there should be no issues.

On the safety side I believe it could be a hazard in an accident situation, but I'm not certain that the stock configuration cuts the pumps with the key in the run position if the engine dies.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have a switch for gas pumps and msd box in my radio delete panel .
1996 Silverton 312 sedan bridge
Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My rear BOSCH 044 pump is wired this way... it's pretty loud and annoying when the ignition is switched to the on position. I'm thinking of wiring it to a relay, so it only turns on when the engine is cranking/running.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Mine is set up this way, but I have a inertia switch wired in case there is a shunt. Otherwise the fuel pump will keep the engine running.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Okay...I feel better now! I didn't realize this, but it makes sense. I had been told by a CIS "expert" years back that when the pumps are running...the engine is getting fuel (including the injectors)...even if it ain't running! I guess I can now refer to this "expert" as a jack-leg-shade-tree-mechanic! But as I think about it and look over some CIS diagrams, what Rarly says makes sense! Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by sand_man; 03-10-2007 at 03:21 AM..
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
That is correct on a stock car, but maybe not if someone has fiddled with the wiring.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The wiring makes no difference. The meter plate is activated by air flow alone - nothing to do with wiring of the pumps.

I have many times run my pumps with the engine off for up to 10 minutes or so while checking system pressures and for leaky injectors. To check injector function you gently push down on the air metering plate.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
The wiring makes no difference. The meter plate is activated by air flow alone - nothing to do with wiring of the pumps.

I have many times run my pumps with the engine off for up to 10 minutes or so while checking system pressures and for leaky injectors. To check injector function you gently push down on the air metering plate.
Yep...understood. That explains why having my gauges connected, the fuel pumps running for several minutes to check fuel pressures all with the engine not running, didn't lead to a flooded situation.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Cool. I didn't think CIS was that advanced
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-11-2007, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: