Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question On Alternator? Are These Cars Hard On Them?

Guys - I have been nursing my alternator for months, it has got exponentially worse lately and with the fear of being stranded, ordered a new one (rather reman. Bosch unit) from Imagine.

I removed the old one which was not bad at all except for my large hands! Took a couple of hours taking my time. For those who have never done it...its not bad at all.

I noticed that my car had a re-man. alternator (thought I was going to find the original unit) in it and so this at minimum is the 3rd alternator in the car. My car has 58K on it and so thats alot of alternators for very low mileage.

I am thinking that previous owners probably let the car sit for long times, letting the battery drain down and then jumped in the car and the alternator was working overtime to charge a really low battery, contributing to a very much reduced life of the alternator itself.

-Or- are these cars typically hard on alternators?

Your thoughts?

I will post up new pics after I get my fan and housing back from the Powder Coaters. Ironically I was talking to Schnele (Lincoln) on the 'phone just as I was starting yesterday morning....LOL! "Hi" Linc!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Regards - Yasin
Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Yasin,
I think the main thing that fails on these units is the rear bearing. Usually it's because of improper belt tension(too high) that causes bearing loads that accelerate bearing wear. A lot of people fail to check the belt tension after the engine of fully up to temperature which will actually be tighter after the first adjustment cold. I tend to set mine on the loose side of the spec and then recheck after the belt has run in.
The brushes also seem to wear out quicker than our American counterparts. I've seen brushes and slip rings completely worn after only 70K miles. Maybe that was an exception.
If you have a alternator or starter repair shop in your area, getting your alternator rebuilt by them is a far more cost effective solution. I had mine rebuilt for $55 by Fondy Electric and they did a great job. These alternators are not that uncommon. Sure, the mainshafts are different than anything out there, but the internals are used by a number of foreign cars.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Doesn't Leffingwell's buyers guide on 911s mention this problem? IIRC, he writes that the alternators are known problems, and to not be surprised if they only last 40K miles. Your 3-in-58K-miles might be a little quick-wearing, but maybe not totally unreasonable.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks fort he replies guys! Much appreciated!

Yasin
Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: