Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

repost from marketplace... 3 years w/o starting

I've been pointed at a very low mileage, original condition 930 that has not been driven in 3 years. Reportedly, it was professionally serviced (with long term storage in mind) just prior to being parked indoors.

It is sitting on its tires so clearly they are of concern but I am also wondering about bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, cam surfaces, potential critter damage.... .

Any advice for precautions prior to turning it over or...?

Sorry for all the posts but I'm trying to learn before I buy...

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

I've stored a few cars for similar durations and never had any real trouble. Hopefully the fuel system was drained and it had fresh oil circulated every so often. Pity about the tires.

I would make sure it has good fuel and oil, pull the pump relays, the +V to the coil and turn it over 'till it builds oil pressure. Then let 'er rip.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Was the fuel purged from the CIS before parking the car?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Was the fuel purged from the CIS before parking the car?
I really doubt it as the car is stored in the owner's garage...what might be reasonable things to do?
Thanks...Scott
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Are you comfortable disassembling and cleaning the CIS components?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No...but the owner seems workable and there seem to be competent technicians near to where the car is stored.

Is this something that should be insisted upon prior to an attempt at starting or can one try starting it and go from there?

Scott
Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Me like track days

Scot -

Mind telling us the price, mileage, and year and perhaps a pic or two?

This might help mitigate the gamble of purchasing a car that has been sitting for 3 years - which is not at all healthy for that 930.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you are really lucky you just might get by without disassembling and cleaning the fuel head. I say that because any residual crud that dried up will be forced through the system when you energize the fuel system for the first time. With luck the fuel piston won't be stuck and the crud will wash out via the injectors.

There are many other things to consider besides the fuel system. All of the oil has drained down and allowed bare parts to be exposed to humidity in the case, gaskets will have dried, critters have made a new home in various hidden spots ........ Lack of use is hard on everything. 3 years in a secure garage? You may get lucky.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

930 brakes never take kindly to sitting that long either - esp if the fluid was relatively old.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
Scot -

Mind telling us the price, mileage, and year and perhaps a pic or two?

This might help mitigate the gamble of purchasing a car that has been sitting for 3 years - which is not at all healthy for that 930.
When the time comes for me to put the money down (or not put the money down) I'll divulge the details but at this point, I'm hoping I end up owning it....so, for now, I'm going to play this one "close to the vest."

The only good part is that it is indoors in a dry climate
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

Why?
If you want more help here, you could easily tell more details - without anyone stepping in to buy it out from under you.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Craig,
I'm paranoid I suppose...

I have not seen the car in person as it is a healthy distance (the kind that requires airline tickets) from me. I certainly will see it in person before putting money into it.

At this point, it looks like the car may be taken to a shop prior to being revived on the owner's dime. I'm only trying to do some homework...hoping to avoid damaging something if it can be avoided...I'm sure you understand.

I genuinely appreciate any help that is offered here and hope that by posting, others may somehow benefit too.

Scott
Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Scott,

These guys will help you...They have helped me...Tell us how much hes asking , what year, how many miles and address ...contact information. Yahoo directions. American Airline tickets We'll take care of it for you....

Paranoia is paranoia itself
Old 03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well, looks like it will be coming to eBay (via broker).... owner refuses to consent to any PPI that cannot take place at her remote desert home.... but she's in Canada at her second home.... eratic seems to be the nicest way to describe the decision making process here.

By report last week, the neighbor took it upon himself to go in, throw it on a battery charger and start the car.... he reported that initially the car "smoked" but after idling for 15 minutes, it was "fine"... end of PPI.

Look for a green 930 and bid if you have great big nards....

Last edited by pavulon; 03-23-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Well, I'm going to look at this car this weekend after all. By independent report, the car is very very nice....looks, runs, drives, shifts and stops as it should for being an '89 930 w/ 9,xxx miles. The deal is $53,500 take it or leave it. Owner will not consent to full PPI (compression, leakdown...) as they are elderly and rather flaky.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

MAN, I have withdrawal symptoms if I let my car sit over the weekend! Imagine 3 years
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I bought my 87 factory slant that had 48K on it and was stored covered for several years in a hot dry climate. It presented beautifully, paint, canvas all primo. It ran great too..passed the engine inspection ok, compression etc good, minimal oil leak from valve covers, but I ended up replacing some of the fuel lines, vacuum lines (really hard and brittle), some of the wiring connections, fuses were a bit corroded, changed the tranny oil to Swepco, changed brake fluid, brakes on the front...and leather reconditioner to the leather seats (hot climate is hard on leather and door/window seals). CDI died after two weeks (put in MSD), changed plugs, windshield wipers hardened, and the outside mirrors needed a new switch . If your car has been sitting in a hot climate you more than likely won't have rust issues, but you will have (potentially) hardened seals, hoses, rubber parts, heater controls and cables, air conditioner won't work and probably needs charging etc. I would be a bit hinkey over the refusal to allow a PPI...but some old folks get that way...take it or leave it and it sounds like you're in hot pursuit. Their asking price is ....pricey. I paid quite a bit for mine, and ended up putting about another 2K into replacing "stuff". Make sure you have $2-3K set aside for "stuff"....and best of luck to you. Hope it turns out well. Please post pics if/when you get it. Chuck
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
MAN, I have withdrawal symptoms if I let my car sit over the weekend! Imagine 3 years
LOL, does'nt that suck! I actually want to do things to my car but just can't seem to get started for want of driving it. Every time I think "that's it, time to do something" I end going for a 4hr drive.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I think the price is way to high.. you are getting close to 993turbo territory- $50-65K. My 1987 near perfect 930 with 24k miles was $36K 2 years ago.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I'm new to this Porsche thing and will honestly say that the asking price is one of the highest I've seen for a non slant car. If you do end up getting it, drive it and enjoy it..
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: