Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Air Filter on my 81'930

This is rediculous,... for the life of me I can't get the dang air filter out of the stupid thing!

I've searched here and thought I'd found the answer,...but alas, I was foiled again.

First off, I believe "if" the exsisting filter was just a paper filter I could have worked it out of there pretty easily. However the filter is paper with a metal plate re-inforcement on the intake side of it. That piece of metal makes the filter pretty much inflexible, and a bear to get out of the car.

I've tried loosening the the filter box/housing to gain a little more room to work, but that just is'nt enough. It appears that I either need to R & R the IC, then the Air Box/Filter Housing,...or perhaps unbolt the dang A/C compressor. Seems like a lot of work to get an Air Filter out. There must be an easier way.

I've got a K&N filter to put in the car. If that type of filter was in there now I'd have no problem wiggling it out of there. However like I said the exsisting filter has that metal bracket on the intake side and it's making me misserable.

So that has me thinking if there is a reason for that metal re-inforcement? Perhaps I should'nt put this flimsy K&N in there? While it sure would be a lot easier to get the K&N out in the future, I'm wondering if the K&N is stiff enough since the exsisting filter is so much stiffer with that metal plate on it?

So what to do? Am I wasting time trying to get the K&N in there?

What's the easiest way to get this monster PITA filter out of the dang car?

PS: Now I understand why the PO had left the filter in there for over 15,000 miles!

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment

Last edited by moochie; 03-21-2007 at 10:14 AM..
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

After pulling the IC and airbox a few times you'll be able to do it in about 5 minutes. That being said, I find it easier to pull them than to try to squeeze the filter in. Just my 2 cents.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll go with that. I was'nt sure if that was easier, or if pulling the A/C compressor.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
If you take it out and make a "Cup Airbox" out of it would it be easier to get to?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That would make it real easy!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
sucks but it will save you time.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Moochie it's been a while since I had my A/C in place, but I do recall unbolting the compressor to r&r the air filter. Not a big deal to do. Only three bolts (best I recall) separate the lower bracket from the plate bolted to the underside of the compressor. Two bolts were under the pulley at the rear, and one bolt on the right at the front of the compressor. All three bolts were in adjusting slots. The bolt (threaded stud) at the right rear adjusts the belt tension, you don't need to loosen this.

The metal reinforcement on the stock filter stops the paper element from being sucked into the engine if the filter becomes dirty and restrictive (virtually plugged). Your K&N most likely has a fine wire mesh for a similar safeguard.

I recall a test K&N did to validate their product. It displayed that the K&N is less restrictive when both filters were clean, but eventually more restrictive when an equal amount of dirt built up on each filter. This applied to daily driver type mileage, not weekend use 930 miles.

86 the old filter!

Jim
79 930
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I'll put the K&N in. Once it's in there it will be easy to remove because it is so flexible.

It's really just a matter of getting this old POS of a filter out of there.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

SUCCESS!

I got the old filter out....finally. It was pretty funky(dirty)

I've now got a K&N in there, and that K&N went in a lot easier than the other filter came out. Should be no problem in the future to pull the K&N out for servicing. The K&N is about half as thick as the old filter, plus the K&N is much more flexible, which make R&R a lot easier.

Thanks to all that helped me!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: