Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Good stiffer torsion bars for performance street?

I need to eliminate as much rear-end squat as possible as my 285/35's are rubbing on the inside of the guard and the paint is flaking off due to the transference of heat through the panel I'm also running 1" spacers to bring the rim out closer to the edge of the guard.

What size torsion bars do you guys recommend for the rear which is good for a street car, without breaking my back?

Are the Sanders hollow units any good?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-25-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Coil-overs maybe, a damn sight easier to fit
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

dont you have to strengthen the mounting points with coil overs though?
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
Coil-overs maybe, a damn sight easier to fit
Coil-overs would be nice, but I think it's too extreme for me as I don't track my car. Just want something stiffer for street that doesn't sacrifice ride quality too much.

I'm running the factory Carrera TB's, which are too soft!
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Merv, I think Im going to do coil overs to the slant nose. From what I hear from a few of my drag racing buddies, we want 500-550 pound springs for the back for off the line traction. Im only sayin this because it may benfit you as the tires would never get a chance to rub the wheel wells. But if you are interested in coil-overs, Tarret engineering has slide on coil-overs that use stock struts- 300$ a pair I think. I am probley going to use these unless I get a really good deal on a RsR setup
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
Coil-overs would be nice, but I think it's too extreme for me as I don't track my car. Just want something stiffer for street that doesn't sacrifice ride quality too much.

I'm running the factory Carrera TB's, which are too soft!
You can get coil-overs minus the springs and get a local spring manufacturer to make you up a set of custom springs.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Tarret Eng's coil-over conversion looks great, but looks like it has been designed for Bilstein shocks. I run Koni adjustables all round
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So you do have to reinforce the mounting with coil overs or not merv?

A coil over set up would be so much easier to corner weight and set ride heights etc.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I really wouldn't have a clue to be honest... I'm only just starting to research this. I'm thinking perhaps it'd be cheaper/easier to just slip in some 31mm rear torsion bars and be done with it
Old 03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Merv, I've been emailing clint at rebel racing, he suggests helper coils in addition to TB's to deal with the serious squat.
I'm looking for the easiest solution without redoing the rear end and going to 29 or 30 bars.
not the most effective method but I don't have the energy at the moment to deal with bushings and TB's.
He says, clint, that helper springs on bilsteins in addition to bars would be fine without re inforcement of the perches.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I have 22/31 and it doesn't feel too harsh to me, but my wife feels differently .
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
How do you fit those threaded tubes onto our original shocks ?

Our cars only need to be reinforced if you use high spring or damper rates. For street the car will be fine with coil overs.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Me like track days

33mm with 150 helpers on a coilover RSR rear shock and be done with it.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
33mm with 150 helpers on a coilover RSR rear shock and be done with it.
Or, stock bars with 250-300 helpers - the racers in most cities will have some bartering going on with coils. It's pretty common to at least be able to swap with some folks to get in the ballpark. Then you might want to buy new just to be sure the swappers you got weren't used and abused.

From what I've learned, a helper spring with a t-bar installed will not kill your shock mounts as the t-bar is still supporting the majority of the load. But I would definately do significant reinforcements if I got rid of the t-bars, there's no way that the shock mounts would support the weight of the car for very long.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

Especially for track work.
FWIW, my car has some reinforcements for the rear springs - can't hurt.
I think it may have been a 'while you were in there' -
Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
I really wouldn't have a clue to be honest... I'm only just starting to research this. I'm thinking perhaps it'd be cheaper/easier to just slip in some 31mm rear torsion bars and be done with it
I agree with your approach. Find the right torsion bar as a starting point. Glen Sanders makes good hollow bars that you can get thru Rennsport.com, as well as other places.

I would be tempted to go with a 33mm instead of 31. These cars squat like crazy on the gas. The difference in spring rate between the two is not huge by any means. But 31 is fine if that's what you like.

Then, if you need a little more enhancement with the characteristics of a coil helper, you can run a small coil which won't strain your chassis.

But get the right torsion bar first. And also have your shocks revalved to match the rates.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Craig, what's with the oil tank breather hose going into that Mobil-1 container? I just have a little K&N filter clamped onto the neck of the oil tank

DDDD, I'm tempted to go 33mm's in the rear. I'm told the 31's work well for up to 450HP power levels and I'm pretty sure I'm probably in the 500's with my setup, so the 33's would probably be a better solution.

I'm hoping KONI offer an assist coil-over for their adjustable sport shocks. I'm told Automotion use to sell them
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'd be tempted to agree with DDDD on what he says.
----------
You like the catch can?
Jus make sure to have the lower hose still connect to the case.

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 03-28-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Craig - sweet catch can. Nice and simple.

930GT - I will likely be selling my slightly used RSR coilovers soon, 450/650 springs, Dan Jacobs-spec'd revalving done by Bilstein under a year ago, mono balls on front, and lower rears. Ready to bolt in, bolts included. I tracked and streeted it without reinforcements and had no issue. Firm, but still decent for street. Amazing feel, amazingly easy to adjust or swap springs (which are cheap).

I upgraded springs and went to a Fox system, and welded those reinfocements like Craig's just in case. That 'frees up' those Bilsteins for sale soon. And I'm in the next town over. Let me know as I'll be posting them for sale soon.

WydRyd - the hollow Sanders are sweet, but may be more than you need if you're not tracking. They're lighter (more $$) which is always good but you might not care about that. Upgrading F&R torsions (and revalving the Bilsteins) will get you a really nice ride, without being too harsh. You have a sweet car so track the thing! You'l love it all the more!

Later -

Glenn
Old 03-28-2007, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hey Glenn, I'd love to track my car, however, it's a cabrio and I'd feel more comfortable tracking it when I eventually get the $$$ to install a DAS removable roll bar system in there. Until then, I'll just have to enjoy the boost on the streets and prep the suspension & sterring for when I'm ready to take to the tracks
Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: