Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
3 days and 20 hours under the car.....and still more!

Wow .... what a job... I thank god I didnt have a mechanic do the work..at $100 bucks an hour!!!!

I tore into the car planning to do the oil change and valve adjustment. Talk about having to remove allot of crap to get to it ... the engine compartment is littered with little white tags as to were stuff goes( most of it the vacum lines for the air injection system).. well I kept going.. off came the bumper and a little restoration...then came the muffler...the cat... the turbo...the oil sump for the turbo....the waste gate....couldn't get the left side intermediate pipes off /frozen rusted bolts...decided to drop both heat exchangers and the cross over pipe as a single unit.... Yeah man that worked!! ( 10 months ago I decided to remove all the nuts and barrel nuts from the exchangers to make sure I wouldn't ever -cross my fingers- get a broken stud)... pulled the air manifold out of the exhaust ports( all air injection stuff officially gone!!).... had to cut off 6 out of 9 bolts holding the three units together. So I am off to get hardware and yikes.... put everything back together. Wish me luck!!!

Oh yeah I ordered a GHL muffler from our sponsor ... ( decided against a CAT bypass) Looks like they have locked me into the GHL headers down the road.

Anyone out there have just the euro muffler directly off the turbo??? what was the result?? besides being louder

To all the board members who I have conversed with ... thanks for the coaching. I really have a much greater appreciation for these cars and a much better understanding of their inner-workings.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes - muffler straight off the turbo is loud - BUT WAY COOL!
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
That's what I have running off mine,, and I'm thinking of opening it up, gutting it, and sealing it up again!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Me like track days

Right on! Hands-on experience rules......sometimes painfully!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Jeff,

Didn't know you were up there gett'n your hands dirty! It always starts with a small job and turns into something else. So, are you back on the road yet or is it the hardware thing your now addressing?

I've gotten my hands pretty deep over the last few weeks as well..addressing a couple of oil leaks, changing a few lines, muffler swap, and change and update a couple of gauges. Trying to be done with everything by 5 May.. show on the 6th and Roadwork there-after!!

I've got plans to swap the muffler again later in the season.. planing to fab-up a Zork pipe and an extended wg pipe. Something to really bring the noise!

See ya...

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Boy I have made progress.. I found the DIN908 plugs from a company called maryland metrics as well as other tempered hardware for the exhaust bolts... the plugs were $.25 cents ... allot cheaper than the $5.00 price IA quoted.

Every thing went back together... with some difficulty under the car..my Porsche dealer hosed up my order for the associated gaskets for all the plumbing so I have had to re-use most everything ..looks like a good seal ..we will find out later.. This morning I am in the engine compartment putting everything back together... hopefully I will be able to turn her over later today...Still I will have to wait for the muffler.... and the weather is getting nice....at leat the garage doors are open!!

If anyone interested I have been doing the Photo thing ... What would be nice is if Wayne and Pelican would create a separate place for the DIYer which will host repair efforts that have been fully documented with photos by board users....What ya say...
2014 X3 2.8 white
Old 03-29-2007, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What was the part number for the plugs? There was quite a selection.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I went through the hole gamut to determine type of plugs.. the W3DPO were I think an extravagance. Though when I removed them the electrode design was not typical...rather than spark top to bottom they spark from the side....

I decided on just a little hotter spark plug from Bosch... W4CS.

I got the car back together through out the day.... had some difficulty with the IC and the new rubber sealing rings...

So here is a question .... there are two vacuum lines on the distributor ..one is the advance and the other is for the air injection and went to the control solenoids... I took the later and connected it back into the throttle body vacuum lines that went to the air control valves so that the entire vacuum route loops back on itself ( except that the one line terminates to the distributor) Should this distributor line just be blocked off???..

The car started fine!!! Very loud without the muffler !! duh what did I expect.

I suspect that if the distributor line is getting vacuum from the throttle housing it might effect timing under load ( the other vacuum line providing timing advance) .... I haven't driven the car yet as I am awaiting the muffler...

All in all it was very satisfying... tough to work in such confined space... dropping the motor and trans wont be such a big deal the next go around .....
2014 X3 2.8 white
Old 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: