Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Exhaust gaskets

I've got about 7,000 miles now on my new engine and noticed last night when I was under it, that my number three exhaust port appears to have a small leak between the header flange and the port. I can also hear a small exhaust "tick". I'm running B&B headers with the upgraded Performance Developments stainless exhaust studs.

When I built the engine, I just used the basic exhaust gaskets that were provided in the Victor Reinz seal kit. I suppose that I can try to snug the nuts up, but I'm afraid the gasket might be toast at this point. Can someone tell me if there is an "upgraded" exhaust gasket? As some of you know, it's no fun removing headers, so I'd like to avoid this for a long while if possible.

Thanks,
Jeff
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I guess the "search" feature would have been my freind!!!
Exhaust flange gaskets: Any recommendations?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I haven't read that other link, but I've always ordered metal gaskets from EBS. They are like $4.50/ea.

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by briankeithsmith
I haven't read that other link, but I've always ordered metal gaskets from EBS. They are like $4.50/ea.

Brian
Thanks Brian. Yes, if memory serves me correctly, I think I used the metal ones that came in the gasket kit. Maybe I'll check to see what our host sells.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sand_man- My B&B's always had leak problems the first few times I used them; the stock metal gaskets should work good, you just have to go underneath her and keep cranking the header nuts back down. Once I got the nuts to stay tight, they never leaked again.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Not on my current car, but I've had to go back and tighten mine as well after installing on my old 911SC
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 930gt-40r
Sand_man- My B&B's always had leak problems the first few times I used them; the stock metal gaskets should work good, you just have to go underneath her and keep cranking the header nuts back down. Once I got the nuts to stay tight, they never leaked again.
Always add a good anti seize compound to those studs!!, Candy.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes, this is a must.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes, tighten your nutz!

BTW, I've heard of people running the C2T gaskets in conjunction with the 930 gaskets, for extra sealing. Not sure if it's really required though
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just to clarify - the metal ones I bought were not the ones that normallyy come in the gasket set. They are just a totally different kind of metal gasket - with 2 sheets of metal, and some sort of material in between - they look like stainless steel...

Just FYI

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Those are the ones that I use, I also put a light bead of copper silicone on them and then tighten them multiple times.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: