Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
need hp upgrade info

Hi turbo guys, i am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 930 turbo with 30k miles.The car is stock,and i am thinking of making some HP updrades.
It will mostly be driving the car on the street and would like to track the car sooner or later.
The upgrades i am thinking of doing are:

1-7200s turbo
2-1 bar waste gate spring
3-b& b headers
4-larger i.c. ( please recommend)
5-muffler (please recommend)
6-MSD 6-AL
7-CAMS ( which cams do you guys recommend)

I am hoping for about 400 hp.At this time i don't want to open the engine anymore than to do the cams.
Are there any other bolt ons for more power ?

thanks

Last edited by peter3216; 04-07-2007 at 04:45 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you want to retain your existing A/C condensor, then your choice of i/cooler is simple. BlownSix Design make a drop in upgraded i/cooler for the 930's, as does Kokeln. If you don't mind removing your condensor, then go for a larger C2T i/cooler, or have something custom made.

As for mufflers, I've heard many great things about FabSpeed's twin outlet in terms of quality and HP output. You can roll a golf ball through it, so it's very unrestrictive, which is what turbo's love. If I were you, I'd go the K27-HFS. More efficient compressor than the 7200. OR if you don't mind modifying your muffler and oil return, then a Garett Ball-bearing unit is a nice upgrade too.

As for CAMs, the typical upgrades for 930's are the SC CAMs or 964 ones.

My EFI'd motor runs GT2-EVO CAMs and they are awesome

Good luck!

P.S: Don't forget some form of fuel enrichment if you're running higher than stock boost.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
If you want to retain your existing A/C condensor, then your choice of i/cooler is simple. BlownSix Design make a drop in upgraded i/cooler for the 930's, as does Kokeln. If you don't mind removing your condensor, then go for a larger C2T i/cooler, or have something custom made.

As for mufflers, I've heard many great things about FabSpeed's twin outlet in terms of quality and HP output. You can roll a golf ball through it, so it's very unrestrictive, which is what turbo's love. If I were you, I'd go the K27-HFS. More efficient compressor than the 7200. OR if you don't mind modifying your muffler and oil return, then a Garett Ball-bearing unit is a nice upgrade too.

As for CAMs, the typical upgrades for 930's are the SC CAMs or 964 ones.

My EFI'd motor runs GT2-EVO CAMs and they are awesome

Good luck!

P.S: Don't forget some form of fuel enrichment if you're running higher than stock boost.
On thing I would note here is that for a unrestrictive muffler, the Fabspeed is not that loud to me. I had a Zork, and a GHL before. The Fabspeed seems abot right to me. You can look through it and see your buddies entire face thru it. A tennis ball will roll right thru it with no restriction. It's also the prettiest piece of Stainless Steel art I have ever seen. The welds are nn existant. It is polished to a mirror. Awesome!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT

Last edited by les_garten; 04-05-2007 at 08:25 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Welcome!
You can get close to 400HP at the crank with bolt-ons and cams if that is your goal.

Intercooler - any aftermarket unit is better than stock
Cams - SC is good for a street car as you describe
Muffler - How loud do you want it? I have a custom unit that you may be interested in. 3" ID all the way through. Exits in the stock position. Rather loud but not Zork tube loud.

The key to optimizing your setup is A/F ratios. To do this right you need an adjustable WUR. Once you get a perfect A/F curve dialed in you will know if a larger fuel head is needed. Most likely not unless head work is done and you breach the 400RWHP mark (470CHP).

We have an unwritten rule here on the forum - no initial posts without a picture of your car!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
i have been tring to post the pictures but no luck' keeps telling me the picture file is to big and i don't know how to reduce it
Old 04-07-2007, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
right click on the pic,, send to mail recipient ( in this case yourself) it will ask you if you want to make it smaller , say yes, so now you can email the smaller pic to yourself , ,or just right click on it in outlook express or whatever and save it..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Also, Irfanview is a great program for reducing image sizes & their file size.

www.irfanview.com

You could also use a hosting website like Flickr to upload your images too, then you paste a link in your post to insert the image.

www.flickr.com

Above pic thanks to www.flickr.com
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 04-08-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Old 04-08-2007, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
ok i think i got it
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

a performance fuel pressure regulator from Lindsey's Racing(if your ambitious a pair of their billet fuel rails.) would nicely compliment your other upgrades. Also a billet turbo diverter valve will give you let you run higher boost and decreases turbo lag.

Msd Ignition won't do much more than your stock, I would just do denso iridium spark plugs, magnecor kv85 wires, Pro-fire ignition coil

Nice Wheels!

J
Old 04-14-2007, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Only go aftermarket MSD/Crane CDI if you are planning to run over 1.1bar of boost and require reliable ignition. It'll also allow you to run much larger plug gaps for optimum power & burn.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-14-2007, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys thank you very much for the great info
Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

what type of wheels are those, and what tire size?

I have heard that the best intercooler is in fact the Kokeln, from tests that Stephen at Imagine Auto did. The C2 is just as nice if you are upgrading to EFI in the future. But in the meantime, you need to back fit that for what your current set up is.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
the rims are Gotti and the tires are Yokohama AVS AV1-35 and the sizes are 345/35 zr 15 in the rear and 225/50 zr 15 in the front. the rears look great there's adout 12" of tire on the pavement
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: