Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Stock wastegate

OK, I can't find them. I've searched and I just can't find them. Where are you guys buying stock wastegate rebuild kits?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 04-07-2007 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
subscribing
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Get a Tial, easier and probably cheaper
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
Get a Tial, easier and probably cheaper
Thanks for the input, but that's not what I'm asking. I know about Tial and they seem to be around $450-500 USD. I really doubt if a rebuild kit will be near that much. What I am asking is where can I find a rebuild kit for a stock wastegate? I may be in the minority but I want to keep my car as stock as possible/reasonable. If it comes to it I'll go Tial but not until exhausting (pun intended)the other option.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I know a person who works for a Porsche dealership here in Oz in spare parts, I can ask him if you'd like. He was able to source all the parts I needed to do my wastegate. I know the diaphragm alone cost me close to AU$150.00. If I recall it cost me about AU$350 to do a quick fix. This did not include machining in a new ( forgive my lack of expertise in parts naming ) bush around the the wastegate ' piston/ valve' stem. I will change to a Tial in the near future.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I think that is just called a valve guide.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-08-2007, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I don't know if they're any use for a factory wastegate because I've never taken one apart, but a bunch of the aftermarket 46mm wastegates appear to be copies of Tials - and some of those vendors are selling diaphrams for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/46MM-WASTEGATE-DIAPHRAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33621QQitemZ15 0109940920QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Do these look even vaguely correct?

I'd imagine you could fab something up for the valve and guide, and springs are readily available (and interchangable, I'm given to understand).

I'm presuming that gaskets can be made, and any seals etc would be standard sizes.

What else is there that wears out?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
I think that is just called a valve guide.

Yep, that's it, lol. Sorry, late night on the turps
Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

930 wastegates are an easy rebuild, watch out for the spring pressure! Diaphrams are available from Imagine Auto.

Peugeot moped
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally posted by William930t
930 wastegates are an easy rebuild, watch out for the spring pressure! Diaphrams are available from Imagine Auto.
Thanks, that's what I needed.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Necessary for Class D stock PCA ???
Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally posted by mede8er
Necessary for Class D stock PCA ???
No, just personal preference. This is the car I fell in love with as a kid and after all these years I have realized what I thought would be impossible. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would EVER own this car. I love this car. I love everything about it, even though it's not the fastest, best handling, lightest,... car. To me this car is the greatest car ever made. I still go out to my garage just to sit and look at it. I run my hands down the roof and fenders and just feel the lines. Hell, I even hug it sometimes. I realize this may sound a bit odd but it's true. To change anything on it is to change that which I fell in love with. It's like the joke "his wife effectively changed him into someone she doesn't love".

Modifying this car is like plastic surgery on Julia Roberts and she needs no improvements.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My 1988 waste gate has two springs inside!!! Is this stock or was the PO tring to change boost settings?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Diaphram @ $111.95, don't know if this helps.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LR&Category_Code=911ENGINETRANSWASTEGATE
Old 04-13-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Thanks, Imagine pretty much told me I was wasting my time and tried sell me a Tial. I'll call Lindsey.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have a stock 930 wastegate that I can sell you cheaper then you can purchase the Diaphram and Spring. It has been opened up and everthing has been inspected with no problems.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mark, I just went through this same issue and you are wasting your time! I had the wg rebuilt, with spring, diaphragm etc and less than 25 miles it took a dump on me. ( for real). i bought a Tial from Imagine. I wanted to keep my 76 930 as close to stock as money would allow but it makes no sense to spend $1800 on a new wg when a superior Tial is $500. I recommend buying it

lewis
Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

OK, OK, I give in. I guess some things one has to accept as the better option. Thanks for the help guys.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I realize this is now a 3 week old thread, but just getting to putting my stock WG back in the car. I thought I'd give it a quick test - pump just over 1 bar of pressure on the "control" line (disconnected from intercooler). I have it still removed from the car, and when putting on the pressure, I hear hissing from the valve stem area and can feel the air escaping through the outlet.

This isn't good, is it? Any of you guys performed a simple test on the stock wastegate to check its operation? I have a 1 bar Andial spring in the WG.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Mine did that too. I had a friend machine in a new guide, problem solved. In retrospect I should've just gone the Tial route though.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: