Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Second Gear Getting Ugly

My 87 transmission is having issues. Ran the car last week at California Speedway and noticed getting on it hard the transmission burped out of second gear. Seemed to be OK the rest of the day. It has required more shifting care than any other 4 speed I have driven besides the lousy linkage and position. Yesterday, I took it for a spin to get gas and it wouldn't stay in second. When you would try to Shift into second it would go in and kick it back out. Readjusted linkage with no positive results. When I bought the car It had a 915 shifter in it?????Yes... It is a a real 930. So my question is. Have any of you experienced problems like this? I'm sure it needs to be repaired. What causes the transmission to pop out of gear? It didnt grind going into second just when it kicks it out and you try to put it back in????? Can I fix this at home with some instructions. If not...Anyone know a reasonable tranny mechanic in S0-Cal...

Help..

Bob
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

this happened to me last summer.for me it turned out to be this fork that holds the shifter rod inside the transmission.the bolts came loose.its located at the bottom of the transmission.four bolts hold it on.hardest part about doing it is draining the oil.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
RG500930,

Did your tranny work fine otherwise....? These bolts are located where? Where are the heads in or outside the case.... would you be kind enough to give me a littl more detail. I'm going to try and find a picture to see if I can locate the bolts.. Did you have to remove anything...else....

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Did you have to remove the trans from the car?

Bob
Old 04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
No you don't need to remove tranny to get at that little fork.

It is underneath the tranny, four nuts, nylocs. You will need a 13mm socket or spanner to remove the cover. Drain all the oil first.
Once you have the cover removed you can check the small nuts. Mine came loose once on my 3.2 carrera, I double nutted it.

The other thing you could check is that the detent springs are OK. There are two bolts holding them in on one side of the tranny.
If this fails to fix it then I would think the tranny would have to come apart.

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 04-09-2007 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

under the trany just look for a small cover(#5 on nathanuk's pic)you take the 4 nuts off.and attached to that cover is the fork (pic #6).yes when that fork came loose it would go into second but soon as i start letting the clutch out it would pop out of gear.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
#6 fork is bolted to #5 with 3 nuts..They are tight. Nathan, where are the detent springs? I was reading my tranny manual and it said something about being able to adjust the shift forks from here. Is it possible that #2 fork has moved? I did notice when I put the new shifter in that 2nd gear requires a much higher amount of throw to engage than any other gear. The gear will still engage sitting still with no grinding... but wont when your driving. Is it possible for the shifting forks to be mis aligned? From first to second is ~1 foot of travel on the knob with the stock shifter...Have anyone heard of a fork translating on the shaft( Moving laterally)???? It seams like second gear has moved?

help
Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I have never seen a 930 tranny, but AFAIK it is similair to the 915.
On the 915 there are guides bolted onto the selector shaft. The same shaft has cutouts for the detents to fall into. The same shaft also has the forks bolted to them.
It is possible for the guides or the forks to move on the shafts. One of the forks could also be bent

The detents are on the opposite side of the casing as the oil fill plug (right hand when viewed from the rear of the car). Doesn't sound like this is your problem.

Only problems I have had with my tranny with selecting gears has been the synchromesh.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 04-10-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: