Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

BAE Rev 2.0 Install

Well, it's been out, in, out, in, out, etc. It's going back in pretty soon, so I can get ready for some testing at Summit Point next month. I believe I cleared up many of the "first time" issues, i.e., better support of the exhaust system, fixed the oil ring problems, fixed up the pressure taps and the water injector port, oil return problems, etc. I will go into further detail as the week goes on.

A few pics: The new IA fuel head, the "science experiment-home-dechromed" in and out pipes, the surge valve ports, the new inlet air temp probe epoxy job into the airbox, the ugly turbo support rod.

I love "bolt-on"!!

The objective is to keep the 996's and 997's from running away from me on the straights. Hope it works!

Pat
Old 04-10-2007, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Great going's on, put that sucker back in and lets hear all about it!

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Chap
BTW, I had the Rajay rebuilt. It is evidently the equivalent of a T04 in V trim, which is a pretty good selection for the application.
Pat
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think they did a good job of matching the turbo for the application, it's not the snappiest but it blows strong and powerful. My K27 spools up quicker and is very snappy down low, were as the Rayjay felt strongest at the higher RPMS.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That is the reason I went with the To4e as a base turbo and worked some turbo experts to come up with the best of both worlds. The BAE guys were not very far off so it helps us choose 20 years later much easier.. I Am glad you are alomost up and running again. please report back on how it turns out

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 04-11-2007, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Update:
Inquiring minds want to know...what are the ignition curve specs for a typical 930 distributor? I'm trying to figure out how close my stock SC distributor is to the 930 curve.
Pat
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Another update:
Finally got the engine in, and started up. It runs...big relief #1. No big oil leaks (although the gasket at the turbo drain leaks)...big relief #2. Wastegate leaks. Due to the Rev 2.0 mods to the exhaust system mount supports, had to beat the Flowmaster with a hammer for clearance to get it in. Cylinder head temp sender 14mm rings on #1 and #6 have wiring problems.

Fuel pump now runs in "start", but not in "run"...arrrgh!

Hoping to get the axles back in tonight, take it for a ride, seat the rings, and remember why I went through this torture. Pictures at 11.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

OK, I'm taking it out of the garage tomorrow under it's own power for the first time since September. Seems like a long time ago...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Good luck.... I hope all goes well.......

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well, I have the damn thing running now. My main concern is oil showing up in the tailpipe. Maybe the rings haven't seated yet (I hope). Could be the vent hose from the oil tank I have in the air filter housing.

Car is set to 5 PSI boost for now. I have to do a bit of tweaking on the Brian Leask WUR (which is a fine unit, BTW), but I'm seeing AFR's in the low 12's at boost, and low 13's in cruise, which I think is OK. I will get an initial high 11-ish reading when I first get the boost on. I have a permanent AFR mounted at the dash.

The water injector needs some more tweaking also, just on where I bring it on, and the deadband to when it closes down. I installed two temp gauges; one in the air inlet, and one in the airbox plenum section where the intake runners go out. I haven't been able to sustain any boost, such as I would see on the track, but I was able to keep it on boost for about a minute straight, going up a long hill. I was getting a maximum of 40 degree temperature rise. For comparison, I think the temperature rise looks to be about 20 degrees, without any boost. I don't have any numbers from a conventional intercooler setup to compare it to, but I think the water injector works pretty well. We'll see when I turn the boost back up to 7 PSI.

And, yeah, it goes pretty good. I really can't imagine what a big HP high boost car is like, but my wimpy little setup makes an awfully lot more power than the old N/A setup.

And, thanks to all of you guys for the help and encouragement!!!!

Pat
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I should have put a 3.6 in

The thing smokes like a pig, and I have narrowed it down to oil drainage issues. I can get it to stop smoking, if I choke the flow to the turbo down to about one quart per minute. Even with the drain line going directly into the sump plate, I still think there is insufficient drainage. As it is Father's Day, I was able to get my 11 year old daughter with the narrow fingers to put a finger in the EGT fitting downstream of the turbo...it came out covered with oil.

So, we'll try the electric oil pump I have, and see if that fixes it.
BTW, the water injection works great! I can get air temps in the manifold lower than air coming into the air filter.

Pat
Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Look for a new turbo, my feeling is unless you restrict it way back it will smoke, The rayjays are old and even after rebuild everything needs to be just right or they seem to have oil blow out issues I had to have a really small restrictor in mine. I wrestled with mine for a long time, A little K27 will solve this nagging problem. Go here they sell them for a great price, around 600 bucks and get that thing on the road.

http://www.fuelsys.com/

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 06-17-2007, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by iamchappy
Look for a new turbo, my feeling is unless you restrict it way back it will smoke, The rayjays are old and even after rebuild everything needs to be just right or they seem to have oil blow out issues I had to have a really small restrictor in mine. I wrestled with mine for a long time, A little K27 will solve this nagging problem. Go here they sell them for a great price, around 600 bucks and get that thing on the road.

+1

Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 06-17-2007, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks, guys.
I'll contemplate a new unit. I don't want to replace mine and have the same issues, so I need to sort out the oil routing first.
Pat
Old 06-17-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I use the same setup as you and had tim rebuild my turbo as well with no restrictor with no issues so my guess is the turbo

Old 06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by iamchappy

This comment re-inspires me. My car has sat in the garage for well over a year since I had the same problems. Two rebuilds on the turbo and everything I could come up with for drainage and still intermittent clouds of smoke. Does this turbo use the same mounting flange?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

the BAE turbo set ups use t4 flanges not t3 flanges. I use T4/to4e with no issues

Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I have the new drain line ready to go in tomorrow. I'll take a picture. Ben's sump plate, with a 1/2" electrical conduit welded to a new plate. Drains straight down and into the sump. I hope this works...
Pat
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

That didn't fix it to my satisfaction. Tomorrow, I put in a clear vinyl drain line, so I can actually watch and see if the oil drains and gets pulled back into the sump.

If that doesn't fix it with further restriction in the feed line, I'll have to go wih the electric pump.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: