Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Diffusor bottom plate plans for 911

Here is enclosed the sketch of the bottom plate plan I'm going to build to my Strosek 911 Ruf Turbo.

The basics are:
front plate (+70mm from the ground)
5-canal front diffusor (+70mm > +130mm from the ground) between front and bottom plate
bottom plate (+13+mm from the ground)
5-canal rear diffusor starting from bottom plate (+70mm > +240mm from the ground)

Rear diffusor will have air moving both on the top and beneath of it as well as coming through from the engine (to the underpressured canal).

It will be build to my modified street legal club racer:

I'm going to make demo and test plates from plywood and carbon fiber, but the final will be done all carbon fiber.
I know many has played with the heating problem. That is why we are really concentrating to running air both sides of the rear diffusor and I have 3 large oil coolers in the front.
I will remove the center part of the rear lamp and use the whole middle part for cooling (for the outcoming air) with perforated steel plate (F360 Challenge style). Rear bumper will also get more air vents.

Last edited by petri; 08-25-2007 at 08:06 AM..
Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Awesome project! I'd like to see that car one day...

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51
Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Probably a dumb question - what about cooling?
Would there be negative effect in blocking the entire bottom of the engine?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Uhm , that beast is street legal ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Whatever happened with this? And where did you get that tail????
Old 08-21-2007, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This project is running well. And yes, it is streetlegal, even under very strict rules of Finland. Of course street setup is slightly different: very low boost and suspension tuned 15mm higher (to 85mm minimum). All changes are marked to the pink slip and are ok. And it is quite easy car to drive with very calm traffic behaviour manners.
I've spent more time this summer with my 951, and now when it is basically finished, (see my PP Owner's gallery by my login name "petri") I will finish Strosek.
The samples for the carbon fiber moulds of the body (black front bumper / splitter and black side skirts) are ready and just these days I will have final parts mounted.
Car has been under test program with new suspension setups, as well as minor engine developments and is working solid and strong. It is just the beast you expect it to be (I don't have to be ashamed of the provokative outlook: there is a real substance under the skin).
Now it is excellent test mule for the aerodynamical bottom plate test program.

Bottom plate project is due to be on track first time seriously on September 15th.
The details has changed a little, but the principle is the same. Actually we decided to try to get it work without vertical openings in the rear part. When in speed, the air isn't problem for cooling, because of the speed of the air on the upper side of the rear diffusor. If there will be problems, they are due the engine bottom ventilation when standing (in traffic lights etc.). But we will see.
The great difference in our system compared to the others will be the air scraper front lip of the rear diffusor to get air to the both sides of the bottom plate. We found out that when standing, the direction of the air between bottom plate and engine works other way because of 1,5m3/second pushing engine fan. Hot air comes out both from the rear openings as well as from the front (beneath the car) and sides (to the rear wheel arches). So we are quite sure that this system might work reasnoable well. But we will test it carefully.
More pics coming, when ready.

The rear engine lid (tail you mean) is available f. i. from www.fvd.de

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=319065&VCD=41214904&AM=1&SM=1&LM=2&MM=group&gid=2&sgid=201&CarCompany=0&CarType=&CarBody=&CarYear=&sort=3&display=5&F=Rear+Spoiler&start=70&total=131

priced there at 2190 euros (2950usd).

Other body parts in my car from www.strosek.de
except front bumper and side skirts, those are for sale soon from our local carbon fiber factory with reasonable pricing. Also similar 930 body suitable components wll be available this fall.
These all 911-suitable bottom plates after testing will be available foir sale also. But we have a long fall on tracks to test it bullet proof.
More of that in the future. Stay tuned.

Last edited by petri; 08-21-2007 at 05:50 AM..
Old 08-21-2007, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Sub
Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Awesome! Please post up when you're ready. I for one would love to use a bottom plate.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
They look cool IMO.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-25-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the comments.
Here is enclosed some 3d-shots from Cad-files when now precising bottom diffuser system to place.
The system can be almost bolt on mounted to any 911 / 930 / 964 / 993 -model.

The bottom plate system will include 4 parts:
-front plate, which can be modified to any 911 / 930 / 964 / 993 front part
-front diffusor (one design)
-bottom plate (one design) but can be modified from sides to fit to your side skirts or without them
-rear diffusor (one design) but maybe needs some special modification with different exhaust pipe solutions

Air movement beneath the car when moving. Both diffusers will create their own downforce effect, but the rear effect will be the dominant one.
The front diffuser and the height difference between front plate and bottom plate will suck the air pressure away from the front part of the car.
Side skirts and bottom plate creates a tunnel effect.
Real diffuser will suck the air pressure away from the rear of the car.
The front edge of the rear diffuser is also a scraper to suck big part of the air from beneath the cars bottom plate to upper side of the rear diffuser to cool the engine.
Air will go through regular routes 930 has.
But if there is a need to use the engine a lot near 'red line overload', the rear part: rear bumper, rear mid part etc. must be remodelled to create more free air flow routes through the engine part. In terms of getting rid of extra heat, a well insulated short sport exhaust will help when carrying heat out.
If the scraper doesn't take air enough we will make extra naca ducts to the bottom of the car and carry more air through the floor to the front part of the engine space.

Air movement between the engine and diffuser when standing.
Air pressed by engine fan through the engine to beneath the engine comes out to all four directions from the top of the diffuser.
This part we will research if this is enough or do we have to rework with it. Anyway this is the first version I've ever seen which is completely open to all directions except to down.

Some test driving has done and so far no problems, but hard testing will start in the end of the September. Stay tuned .

Last edited by petri; 08-25-2007 at 08:32 AM..
Old 08-25-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Any update on this project? I'm looking at having my car running about in January and I'd love to have one of these...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Thankyou for your interest. I'll keep you informed.
I'm sure they will be commercially available until the end of December. We will publish our sales net page then with this and other 911-products available.
Now we are finishing the 930-fitting splitter and side skirt parts. There will be available also very much shorter front lip version of the front part.
So altogether: there will be bolt on solutions of both short and long nose versions for both 911 Strosek and 930 body with the same side skirts and bottom plates.
The side skirts works nicely together with the bottom plate solution creating the needed tunnel-effect.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Thanks Petri! I'm looking to use this in conjunction with the 935 front spoiler!

Keep us posted, and more pics when you can!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Me like track days

Good luck with the huge amount of turbocharger heat above the rear section of the diffuser idea -

Gonna be a real challenge, how might you address this?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

From the plans it looks like the diffuser will not go all the way up the body like Jack's aluminum one, but instead leave a gap from the bottom of the bumper to the diffuser. This way air should be pulled through the engine bay for cooling.

I'm looking into a jacket for the turbo to keep a lot of the heat in where it needs to be.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
"The front edge of the rear diffuser is also a scraper to suck big part of the air from beneath the cars bottom plate to upper side of the rear diffuser to cool the engine.
Air will go through regular routes 930 has.
But if there is a need to use the engine a lot near 'red line overload', the rear part: rear bumper, rear mid part etc. must be remodelled to create more free air flow routes through the engine part. In terms of getting rid of extra heat, a well insulated short sport exhaust will help when carrying heat out."

We are producing now also the mid rear section (instead of the mid rear lamp and metal sheet piece beneath of it ) as a carbon fiber net section and part of the air coming beneath the engine (and around turbo) will come out without barriers ona top of the rear bumper as well as through it, because Rear bumper will get a set of holes to help the hot air moving out with the fast flowing fresh air (which is moving on a top of the rear diffuser.)

Beneath the straight middle bottom plate there will be still high pressure - too much air which has came away from beneath the front diffuser - (which is usually carried out to sides before rear diffusor system in F1 and DTM-cars).
That particular extra air we rather try to get scraped to the engine side of the rear diffuser as an extra cooling than making holes to the side skirts etc.
When moving, the air flow beneath the engine is way better than it is without the rear diffuser, so the cooling of the turbo and exhaust system will be better than in regular arrangement. The greatest potential for the temperature problems will be when standing still.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

I respect your enthusiasm. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Any progress or updates?
Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Here is enclosed some reposts of disappeared earlier links from this thread, because I can't edit those earlier posts any more and therefore I can't put them back to the posts they belong.
Anayway here they are. Hopefully soon pics of the protos under construction.

Sorry for the delay. Problem hasn't been with the development of the car rather than fast development of my companies... there fore shortage in free time.

This part of project is finally continuing. We have been developing a new arrangement for the exhaust to reach better space beneath the rear diffusor.

More of this soon.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I stand corrected on my post in the other thread. It looks like that would work.

The air cooled engine seems like it would be a problem though. Where do you plan to exhaust the engine cooling air so it doesn't affect the low pressure area under the car?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: