Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wierd oil leak

I noticed some oil on my lower fan shroud seems to be from my rear main seal. Does not leak when parked but must fling it up and gets sucked into the shroud, it's not alot but still you know the feeling. Has any one seen this before ?
1996 Silverton 312 sedan bridge
Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That would actually be you're front main seal. Barely seeps.. when parked or whatever. When engine is running the fan draws it up.

Just replaced on on a friends car.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
So is this an engine out moment ?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not exactly..

You will need to remove the rear bumper, remove the two bolts that secure the cross bar (rear engine mount) into the tub and gently lower the engine down... keep an eye out on the fuel and oil lines as well as your harness.. don't want to stretch anything.

Remove the turbo and the rear engine tin, intercooler and pipes then you'll need to remove the engine cradle/motor mount by removing the 4 nuts holding it on. You can now see the pulley, remove the alt belt.. and use an impact with a 19mm to get the nut off that holds the pulley.

Oh and if you have a/c, you will have to losen the the nuts that hold it on and you may be able to just move the bracket out of the way.

Sound like fun? Hmmm, I upset that I have spell this out as I have to do the same this weeked!!!
RGruppe #180
Old 04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks I think for now I will let it drip.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I know what you mean!

I decided a couple of weeks ago to address a few small leaks and one thing has turned into another. replacing VC gaskets, several hoses, breather hoses which have bcome brittle.

Of course I noticed the same leak you have so I'm going to do that one too! Since the motor will be lowered down, I think I'll replace the oil themostat o-ring, and the breather gasket on top of the motor..
I should be set for summer!

Oh, and since I'm in there and the paint on the IC is looking a litltle worn,, think I'm going to strip and polish it! Pics of that in a few weeks!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: