Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
oil leaks on headers

Thought I fixed my oil leak problems but now I'm stumped. Originally thought it was the scavenge pump and replaced the o-ring and gasket. Still leaking, is the cam seal behind this a common problem? How easy is it to replace?
Thanks-Jeff
Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think any leak on these cars are common, Ive seen the leaks come from anywhere and everywhere. Im not sure which seal your talking about- is it the cam seal on the back of the motor closer to the cab? If so those can be done in the car. Depending on how mechanicly inclined you are, but they are not terrible to replace.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
930gt- I know oil leaks are common but this one seems a bit too dangerous. I can watch it drip while the car idles. I thought it was the scavenge pump, drivers side back of motor, but its behind that. I think the only thing left is the cam seal. Correct?
Thanks- Jeff
Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The scavange pump would have to have some severe problem to start leaking like that. The cam seal I believe holds residual pressure from the cam journal, so if it is really pissing, you are probley right.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had a leak out of there and replaced the CAM seal as that was the one leaking. While I was in there, I replaced all the others as well, including the little paper gasket in between.. My cam seal was bad for sure, as there was a small pool of oil inside the bottom of the housing when I removed the pump. It's easy to do.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are 4 seals in this cam/pump setup:
1) The paper gasket on the end of the cam box.
2) An oil seal that is driven into the face of the scavage pump/smog pulley housing that screws to the cam box which rides on the cam drive. The cam drive has the smog pulley bolted to it and the smog pulley bolts are what spins the scavage pump drive. This seal, along with the gasket keeps oil from the rear cam bearing from leaking out.
3) A small oil seal on the scavage pump drive that keeps oil that is inside the scavage pump from leaking out on the drive stub.
4) An o-ring inside the scavage pump itself.

The OEM top-end gasket kit for a 930 includes ALL of these seals - I'll offer that it's important to replace all of them if you have any leaks in this area, as it's difficult to really tell what is not holding oil.... I'm sure Pelican will sell them ala carte, but you may need to call vs. order online.

Pat Kelley
Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. I will order the seals and gaskets from Pelican. Any tricks or tips on the cam seal removal and install? I already replaced the seals on the pump itself, guess I should have looked closer at the cam seal.
Thanks Again- Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I used a right angle pick- stabbed the seal - turned it sideways and pulled it out.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: