Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Post-intercooler temps?

Those of you who have intercooler temp gauges, what kind of pre & post-IC temps are you track guys seeing in your cars under extended heavy loads?

At what temps should one begin to worry and back off?

The other day I was fooling around down in the back-streets and I was driving it like I stole it. Boost was ~1.2bar. I noticed my post-intercooler temps were hitting around 40-50DegC whilst the inlet was in the high 90's

Just wondering what's considered to be a safe inlet air temp in these forced induction motors?
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Usually anything under ~75C is fine for a TMIC. Big turbos, like on the 930/965's lend to lower charge temps on the norm. Run some meth injection and you can often drop charge temps to at or below ambient IAT. I'm and avid user of Meth TMIC's tend to have a bit more heat soak than FMIC's due to their location.

You should the the pre-ic charge temps Air in the 120-130C range on high boost sometimes, usually when running a turbo well into the surge limit(overspeed)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
From memory, which is currently full. Severe data compression is resulting in recovery errors, or it's the beer.

Some results after aggressive track driving, Low 80s ambient temp:

Stock 930 at 1 bar, turbo 360 F out, I/C 250 F out.

K28 with Andial half bay I/C at 1 bar, turbo 350 F out, I/C 170 F out. (No A/C condenser or shrouding)

Of course cooler is better. The higher the HP the closer you come to the engines thermal limits as indicated by Porsche having to resort to different fans and water cooling on race engines. However, street motors and mild to moderate track motors seem to stand up fine presuming nothing is out of whack, IE A/F or timing.

40-50 c post intercooler sounds fine. I'm surprised that you only see 90 c turbo out temp. Is the temp probe stabilized or can you tell? Perhaps it would go higher after heavy load and heat soak.

Craig reported some impressive intercooler discharge temps which were within 10 degrees of ambient. It was in a new thread he posted a couple weeks ago. Note that he has significant shrouding causing all the cooling fan air to be drawn through the I/C, and his specific test did not include heat soak.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: