Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Which MSD for 930?

Opinions please on which MSD is most practical for my old 930 - 1979 with Kokeln. Which plug wires? Thanks - EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The most common one to use is the 6AL
Old 04-21-2007, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Yes...I replaced my Bosch CDI with the MSD 6AL. and it works just great. Make sure you use the right rotor in the distributor. The original rotor might have a resister in it and the higher voltage from the MSD unit will melt the epoxy on the rotor...mine did and it wasn't until it happened that I found out about the potential problem....read up on it before you run fire it up after putting in the new unit.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Jones
Yes...I replaced my Bosch CDI with the MSD 6AL. and it works just great. Make sure you use the right rotor in the distributor. The original rotor might have a resister in it and the higher voltage from the MSD unit will melt the epoxy on the rotor...mine did and it wasn't until it happened that I found out about the potential problem....read up on it before you run fire it up after putting in the new unit.
Chuck -

What different rotor did you get to eliminate the problem? I've never heard of that happening, I have a new 6AL and Blaster 2 coil ready to go in, along with new OEM Cap and rotor with new Magnacor 10mm wires.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Gary:

I didn't do the work...the indy did it, and when he saw the rotor, he said he'd never seen one that burned the way that did...it actually extruded a ribbon of melted epoxy from the top of the rotor. He ended up buying the rotor that does NOT have the resistor embedded in the epoxy on the top of the rotor. There are a number of posts about this issue that you can search for here and on Rennlist and RennTech. There is also a modification they recommend by running a jumper wire in your distributor....Apparently the MSD generates a lot of heat, and the rotor with the resister in it can't take the heat, so it melts. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 04-22-2007, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Is this with the stock coil?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, everything stock except for replacement of the CDI with the MSD 6AL....it's nice having the additional feature of the rev limiters you can plug in.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-22-2007 at 05:01 PM..
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'm thinking that with the stock coil you need a ballast resistor, with the MSD Blaster 2 coil you don't.. I could be wrong though!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

A MSD/Crane CDI is a good upgrade, especially for those who run higher than stock boost levels. You'll also be able to re-gap your plugs to ~ 0.032" (from 0.024") for better performance
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have two digital 6's on my car. I like the digital stuff better. It does not have issues from heat etc. I have ran several 6al's and never had an issue, but the new stuff is better and has many more options.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: