Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I couldn't resist

I keep seeing this real nice 2007 Mustang Shelby GT500 in my town. Problem is I am always in my lil' SUV. It seems like everytime that I have just put away the 930 and switched cars...5 minutes later there it is. I really like the GT500 and was hoping for an opportunity to meet the owner and maybe see how they run.

Well I forgot to check my gas gauge when next thing you know the red light comes on and I need gas...BAD. I get right to the driveway of the station and BAM...there's the GT500. So being the mature adult I am I figure"well I got enough gas to at least follow him for a moment and see what happens". I pulled up alongside and gave him the thumbs up cool car signal and he did the same.

So he gets on the highway and I was just about to go by the ramp..BUT...the demons in my head start with "well I guess I could go a few miles, right..I mean that light is only a warning ...no?" So you guessed it, quick yank of the wheel right and I am on the ramp as well. We hit the ramp rolling about 30mph and off he goes and I follow in 2nd up to 3rd and a few seconds of 4th. The distance never changes, we are even. I follow to the next ramp and turn around to go home and so did he. By this time I figure the guy must think some nut in a Porsche is stalking him so I stayed back a little. Big mistake, I thought he might hammer it at the end of the ramp but this time he launched from low speed at the beginning of the ramp and chirped the first two gears. I was toddling along in second and got caught with the revs down, by the time I spooled up I was behind bad. I finally got going and started to close but had to back off under full throttle and full boost in 3rd coming through a sweeping turn. The GT500 seems to handle much better than other Mustangs that I have seen. It looked real good. My car is fine but full boost in 3rd on questionable surfacein a turn should probably wait until after the suspension upgrade. MAYBE longer.

We stopped and complimented our rides and it, turns out the guy owns a local business near me. He laughed when I told him he caught me in the wrong gear that 2nd time. I told him I was just getting gas and he would really have laughed if I ran out of gas 1/2 way through the run!

I did the math and HP to weight the cars are pretty darn even so no big surprise in my book. I figured the GT500 would be monster off the line and after 30mph I would be right there nd have an advantage at really high speeds not likely to be seen often unless on a race track.

The GT500 is listed at 500hp and 3921 lbs or 7.842lbs per pony. My car is listed at 2950lbs. and PO reported 390hp, but lets be conservative and say 375hp or 7.86 lbs. per pony.

Anyway it was a safe, no lane change, open road, jaunt. While not really scientific, I was happy my lightly modded 20 year old Porsche did well and the GT 500 may be heavy but it's got some getty-up as well.

Note to self: always keep revs up, always keep revs up, always keep revs up....I should have know it's the same thing my buddy tries in his 993, keep me at in between speeds and catch me off-boost. Oh well, fool me once...
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 04-24-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: