Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Intercooler sprayer kit

This looks very interesting!

Looks like a cheap viable solution for reducing heat soak in the IC on those hot days sitting in stop/go traffic and/or the drag strip and track events
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Pretty cool, but I'd want it to be electric so the ECU could run it.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Agree. You could also use a hobs switch or something that triggers it when a preset boost level or outlet temp is reached
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Wasn't CO2 recently placed on the EPA hit list for pollutants? This could be short lived.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Wasn't CO2 recently placed on the EPA hit list for pollutants? This could be short lived.
I hope not, that's what powers my diet cokes!!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There is another kit that is methanol injection. it serves 2 functions cools the intercooler air charge and also raises fuel octane.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

These CO2 spraying devices have been around for awhile. They work but the real use for them in my opinion is in drag racing. People have been using CO2 canisters by just opening the valve and spraying CO2 all all over the intercooler for years in drag racing.

You can get the 20oz. bottle for $15 to $25 alone, and getting one filled is easy. Most sporting good stores that sell paint-ball equipment will have a fill station. That bottle in the kit shown is just that type of bottle, typically intended for use with paint-ball guns. To really cool down the intercooler you will use about 1/4 to 1/2 of a 20 oz. bottle. I'd say make your own kit if you want one as it would be cheaper and the end result would be nicer. The steel braided line in that kit looks just like a remote bottle line used in paint-ball if you want to carry the tank on you back or in a waist-pack. Remote lines cost about $10 to $20. Nitrous Express made a much higher quality version of this concept at one time, they might still make it but they were charging $350 and up for their kits, and that is a complete rip off considering how little engineering has to go into these kits and the cost of the materials. I am pretty sure most here have seen cars with a bags of ice on the intercooler at a drag strip or just before a dyno run trying to get the intake temps down, same basic concept.

Last edited by Noah Holcomb; 04-27-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken911
There is another kit that is methanol injection. it serves 2 functions cools the intercooler air charge and also raises fuel octane.
Turbo Buick guys have done this for awhile. It's more of a hassle then it's worth in my opinion. The first kit I remember seeing for methanol injection was the SMC kit it was made and marketed by a Turbo Buick owner and at first the Buick crowd were the primary buyers of the kits. I think SMC is still around, and the kits they made were nice and reasonably priced when I looked into running methanol injection. However you can make your own kit for about $50 to $150 that works well and use a hobbs switch to turn it on and off. If any one wants I can send you some info on building a decent kit.

When running 93 octane with a properly setup methanol injection system it provides similar results in terms of resistance to detonation as 100 octane fuels. I would rather run 100 octane so I will know what will be fueling the car at all times. The methanol injection becomes another variable that could lead to massive failure. Lets say you are running levels of boost an timing advance you could not get away with on 93 octane. Now what if a component in the methanol injection system fails and you don't realize it and you continue running the car hard? Well, I think you know what can and will happen.

Alot of cars that used the kits ran them only on the street. At the track people tended to use race gas. It was looked at as a way to save some money over the cost of race fuel, but have the ability to temporarily run more boost and advance on the street. It was and still is a compromise. The small reservoirs that are typically used to contain the methanol run dry fairly quick, Sure you can use a bigger reservoirs but where will you mount it in a 911? Up front, then pump the fluid back to the engine? Now you have to spend more on lines and make sure the pump can handle the head required to supply the system etc. Just run race gas and save some time and trouble. I also don't care for the extra water produced when combusting methanol (yes I know when used as a fuel supplement the additional h2o byproduct is not really a danger in terms of contaminating the oil but I still don't like it)

Last edited by Noah Holcomb; 04-27-2007 at 07:34 PM..
Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Co2 is good for coolin the intercooler, but the problem remains in the fact that Co2 displaces oxygen. If you suck it in through the turbo, it will hinder combustion. I believe that using nitrous oxide would work better.
However, if driving on the highway, the Co2 is less likely to be sucked into the intake.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yes but when you spray the CO2 it dissipates into the air so fast that ingesting it into the engine should not be a problem.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I ran the nitrous express ntercooler on my porsche. I did not really mess with it other than hitting it a few time to see the ice form. Here is the main problem. co2 does not cool the intake enough to make it worth the hassle. Nitrous works very well especially for drag racing. The big problem is if your air cleaner is mounted close to the spray ring you could have problems. You dont want to suck in the juice before the turbo! I have ran the snow water methanol inkection kits as well. They work really good, but you are taking the chance on things not mixing correctly all the time......easy to go pop!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I have water injection on my SC turbo engine. It is fairly sophisticated with respect to safety controls, will use plain old distillled water or water/alcohol, and works quite well as an anti-detonant.

I will be doing some more data gathering as soon as I get the engine back into the car, and will post my findings.

This is water injection, not a spray cooler for the IC. I realize it is not the topic Merv posted originally, but so few people run water injection, I thought I'd chime in.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
I like Orange

Quote:
Originally posted by patkeefe
I have water injection on my SC turbo engine.......
Do you inject the water into the manifold before OR after the intercooler?

Has the system been reliable and what was your gains?

Regards, Tom

http://www.cafe9.co.za
Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Tom:
The water injection IS my intercooler. I will have some data and documentation on this pretty soon, hopefully. In the brief time I had it operational, it seemed to work pretty well.
Pat
Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: