Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
one of the great unwashed

WUR signal line routing???

Hi all:
I have my 3.0 engine with the CIS system just about ready to go back in. I have a nice little double adjustable BL control pressure regulator going in. The question is:

The old SC WUR, had one vacuum port (top of WUR), and an atmospheric reference port (on the side). I would imagine the vacuum port on the new WUR will be a combination boost/vacuum signal, which I will get from upstream of the throttle butterfly, and the atmospheric signal will still be an atmospheric signal.

Does this sound reasonable? Is this how the 930 WUR was plumbed? Not having 930 literature introduces some guesswork into the system setup.

TIA

Pat
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Perhaps I should rephrase this:
Does anyone have a vacuum line schematic for a 930? I can't seem to find one anywhere online.
Thanks again!
Pat
01 Boxster
Old 05-03-2007, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The 930 WUR (it should be called a control pressure regulator in the 930, but that's a debate for another day) has the vacuum port (on the top of the unit opposite of the fuel lines) connected to the intercooler. The unit on the 930 does not have the nipple port on the side.

Pat Kelley
87 930
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, Pat
01 Boxster
Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I need to go over this again.
I am adjusting my Brian Leask WUR (a wonderful device, BTW). I have been running the car for a while now with it installed. I found I had high control pressure, around 4 bar, and adjusted it back to 3.0 bar. I have two air connections on it, side and top. I have the top port open for atmospheric reference. The side port is connected to the discharge side of the compressor. I am guessing that's correct, as I get pretty good enrichment under boost. Does the top port stay open? Or, does this connect to a vacuum source?

My warm control pressure was high. I'm trying to get the car working best I can before it goes on the dyno Wednesday. BTW, my AFR drops way off when off the throttle, like coasting downhill, to 17:1 or so, or off the chart. Lots of popping out the muffler also, which I attribute to my cams. I also have a bit of high idle (like 1100 RPM), which is difficult to get dropped. I think I am bypassing some air; I don't think there are any leaks.
01 Boxster
Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
I need to go over this again.
I am adjusting my Brian Leask WUR (a wonderful device, BTW). I have been running the car for a while now with it installed. I found I had high control pressure, around 4 bar, and adjusted it back to 3.0 bar. I have two air connections on it, side and top. I have the top port open for atmospheric reference. The side port is connected to the discharge side of the compressor. I am guessing that's correct, as I get pretty good enrichment under boost. Does the top port stay open? Or, does this connect to a vacuum source?

My warm control pressure was high. I'm trying to get the car working best I can before it goes on the dyno Wednesday. BTW, my AFR drops way off when off the throttle, like coasting downhill, to 17:1 or so, or off the chart. Lots of popping out the muffler also, which I attribute to my cams. I also have a bit of high idle (like 1100 RPM), which is difficult to get dropped. I think I am bypassing some air; I don't think there are any leaks.
Pat, the factory diagram shows one WUR connection going to the air box, the other to the throttle housing (teed to a deceleration valve, BTW). I think even the aftermarket 930 airboxes like the EVO have a fitting for the atmospheric reference.

No scanner right now, otherwise I'd post the diagram.

As you say you're getting boost enrichment, it would seem that you've not connected things backwards to the control pressure regulator.

Just as a datapoint, my BL WUR came set for 3.65 bar WCP, but that turned out to be too rich in the mid-range and got set to 4.0 bar instead. BL set the boost enrichment to 2.3 bar WCP @ 10 PSI boost.

HTH.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks Spuggy:
Brian had set mine up a bit differently as it is a 3.0 SC with a Rajay. My cold was set up at 2.1 bar, and 2.9 warm. Bently calls for 3.2 bar warm, for a stock n/a SC configuration. My enrichment pressure was set to 2.3 bar @ 5 PSI; I don't have a pressure feature on my MightVac, but it seems to enrich pretty well at about 3 PSI boost. I turned the boost up to 6 PSI before, but I blew the popoff valve out of my airbox! I just put it back together with some Devcon 14320 plastic epoxy. I hope it works. I turned the boost back down, in hopes I can make it to the dyno.
Pat
01 Boxster
Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: