Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
going super fast headers

Who has opinions on the going super fast headers with heater boxes? I was looking inot upgrading from stock USA exhaust to headers on my 79 930 turbo and saw that the going super fast headers looked pretty weel made form the pix on the website.
However, I know that alot of headers are coming over here from China that are supposed to be very bad quality and cheap copies of the B&B stuff....."OBX" I think is one name they appear under.
Are the GSF comparable to B&B or not?
What are the advantages of one over the other......GSF are about $1000 cheaper than B&B.....that is a big attraction to me.
Is the performance or fit and finish worth the extra money for B&B or GHL?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I use the GSF headers on my car which is my daily driver and I drive my car pretty hard every chance I get (1.25bar of boost). I've been extremely pleased with the way they perform and they've held up well to all sorts of abuse. They've been on my car for 8 months now and I haven't had any issues with them. My justifications was, IF they eventually crack after a couple/few years abuse, I'll just throw them out and buy another set. They are cheap enough to do so

The OBX headers might be made in the same factory, but they are 321 stainless steel, which are suppose to be better and retain their shine better. However, with the OBX units, you don't get all the oil lines etc... just the headers with the oil drip tank.

I just couldn't justify spending $2.3k+ on B&B's or GHL's
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There is a low price set (with heat) offered on ebay, any idea of the manufacturer?

Ebay Item number: 320108008649

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-930-911-Turbo-EXHAUST-HEADERS-with-Heat-Box-NEW_W0QQitemZ320108008649QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33631Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Peugeot moped

Last edited by William930t; 05-01-2007 at 07:07 PM..
Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a set of the ones from ebay, they look identical to the GSF headers. The boxes had 'Made in Taiwan'.

Myself and an aircraft engineer had a look at them when they arrived and we were impressed, I know an aircraft welder and car nut who's gonna inspect them before I fit them.
The real test is on the car of course.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeh those Maxspeed ones on EBay are made by the same factory as the GSF's and Schnells and OBX's etc... I had no issues with the quality of the headers and they are holding up well to all sorts of abuse so far
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Have you guys been able to see the collectors? From what I've heard, the welds on some of these are actually pretty good...but the collectors were ugly....
Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Jones
Have you guys been able to see the collectors? From what I've heard, the welds on some of these are actually pretty good...but the collectors were ugly....
They're not the best and nothing to write home about, but they perform fine. If you want the BEST collectors on headers for Porsches, you are in the custom fabrication territory with the likes of Billet Design etc, where a set of custom fabbed headers cost close to, or over USD$3k They are for the serious track/drag cars which are looking to squeeze out the maximum HP possible.

For pure street and occassional track, the GSF/Schnell/OBX's are fine, IMO. Can't beat the price.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What about the SSI headers. I think they're made in Norwalk, Cal....I've heard they are put together very nicely.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

930 Maxspeed vs. 930 GHL, what about a comparison? There is a huge price difference, $899.00 vs. $2,300.00 for GHL. Maxspeed is T-304 SS vs. 321 SS for GHL. Please elaborate on some additional differences...
Peugeot moped
Old 05-05-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Actually, I have been talking to the fellow who's selling the MaxSpeed headers...and according to him, he has sold about a dozen sets and has gotten great feedback from the customers. Granted, his comments might be considered by you folks as self serving, but he stated that his product line was coming from Taiwan, and that the quality of the welds was excellent. I spoke to one of his customers from Australia who stated that he was very satisfied with the quality of the of the workmanship and materials of the Maxspeed headers. I have no information about a comparison between the GHL and Maxspeed, but for the money, I'd be inclined to give the Maxspeed headers a try. I've spoken to Brian from GHL last January about his mufflers, and asked him if his product line was coming from Taiwan or China, and he said that his mufflers were being made in the US. I don't know if that statement meant that the headers were also made in the US or outsourced.

I think we're going to find that in order to be competitive, the outsourced headers and stainless products are golng to have to attain and mantain some decent quality standards in addition to being much more reasonably priced. Successfully breaking into a new market requires more than just a cheaper price.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where can i buy some gsf headers for a 965?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
http://goingsuperfast.com/Porsche-911-Turbo.html

http://stores.ebay.com/GOING-SUPER-FAST
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jok3r
Where can i buy some gsf headers for a 965?
I believe the 965's run larger primaries than the earlier 930 turbo's.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: