Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Things I have learned about turbocharging a NA car

Well Just wanted to post a couple of my thoughts for those thinking about doing this.

1st a 9.3:1 sc engine can handle .4 bar of boost as long as you don't overboost.

2nd Over boosting is typically caused from incorectly hooked up wastegate,or faulty wastegate,or signal line being melted from being to close to a heat source.

3rd the sc engine with .4 bar of boost is wonderfully fast and safe if kept within good AFR's using a WB02 works well for this.

4th oil drain for the turbos is very very important almost as much as correct fueling of the car.

5th oil feed lines should be kept clean and properly sized . there is allot of bad information out there about restrictors etc. after talking with todd at protomotive and a bunch of turbo rebuilders they stress that in the aircooled market you need allot of oil.

6th if you rebuild an engine you should install a filter on the feed line to prevent any of the break in material from the engine from contacting the bearings on the turbo. the difference here between the turbo bearings and the engine bearings is that the turbo spins upwards of 90,000 rpm so heat can kill pretty fast. And the filters are considerable cheaper then a turbo.

7th talk with as many rebuilder/turbo suppliers you can to choose the correct turbo size and manufacture you can. I am very happy with sizing of my turbo but the brand did not really stand behind there work.

I hope that helps some of you thinking about doing this and if anyquestions let me know. Just thought this could be helpful

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Re: Things I have learned about turbocharging a NA car

Quote:
Originally posted by mb911
6th if you rebuild an engine you should install a filter on the feed line to prevent any of the break in material from the engine from contacting the bearings on the turbo. the difference here between the turbo bearings and the engine bearings is that the turbo spins upwards of 90,000 rpm so heat can kill pretty fast. And the filters are considerable cheaper then a turbo.

Who has done this with their motor? I may be looking for a usable 3LDZ to break in my fresh rebuild......

Pat K
87 930
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: Re: Things I have learned about turbocharging a NA car

Quote:
Originally posted by kellcats521
Who has done this with their motor? I may be looking for a usable 3LDZ to break in my fresh rebuild......

Pat K
87 930
triple ks are not as easily effected due to the mass amount of oil being thrown in there but still not a bad idea.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

sso are you going with a different turbo?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

no but if I had to before I would just buy a different brand same sizing etc..

Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I'll go along with Ben's list...

Oil drain is very important.
AFR's need to be watched.
Intercooling is likely really helpful if you run at the track.
Lower compression SC's will suport 8 PSI easily.
Once you figure it all out, the car will become wicked fast.

Pat
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Anyone have success running more than .4 bars with a N/A 3.0 SC motor by means of retarding the timing and optimizing the AFR?

Ben, what are your thoughts towards a K27 on a N/A SC motor? would it be overkill since most of the boost would be vented to through the wastegate?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

sc's can handle about 8psi max then they need to loose some CR..

as to the tripple k's I never really looked at them as an option for me so not sure if they will work well for you or not. Protomotive uses t4 to4b's in their 3.2 base kits. mine is a varient of the a t4 to4e.. so if that helps

Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

On my original 100% bolt-on system, I used a K27-7200 and it performed great with the boost levels I was running (10psi). Once I went with a Stage3 build using lower C/R 930 P&C's, I upgraded to a K27-HF for better top end flow at/over 1.1bar. THEN< when I went with proper turbo headers, I screapped the whole lot and went with a Garrett GT35R ball-bearing turbo. Haven't looked back
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

WydRyd
What RPM did the K27 come on at? I will be using a complete 930 intake and IC along with a pair of GSF headers and was wanting to keep boost around 8~10 psi but with a quick spool up.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Does the to4e series turbos bolt up to the stock 930 flange?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shanghai_todd
Does the to4e series turbos bolt up to the stock 930 flange?
only in hybrid form(t3/t4)

Also an addition to my list ball bearing turbos are waaay overated.. plain bearing spools plenty fast as well really no difference..

Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by shanghai_todd
WydRyd
What RPM did the K27 come on at? I will be using a complete 930 intake and IC along with a pair of GSF headers and was wanting to keep boost around 8~10 psi but with a quick spool up.
On my old setup, it would reach full boost in the high 3K's, but this is at 1.2bar, so with less boost, obviously it'd come on earlier, especially with some nice GSF aftermarket headers.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2007, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Great Info! Thanks all.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: