Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Finally got the IC installed

I finally was able to get down to installing the IC yesterday afternoon. W/the help of fellow Pelicanite J.Brinkley, we were able to get the piping all cut and installed.
Here are a few pics...

2005 GT3 Milltek Exhaust/ECU reflashed/OEM Short shift
1988 911 coupe (GP white) Turbocharged
1998 BMW 328i
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Looks good Phil. Sounds like we were both at the same stage with the intercooler being the last outstanding component. I did not followed your build up, have you driven your car since turbo'ing?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Phil! Who's turbo kit are you using?
Thanks
John
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice install Phil
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim2
Looks good Phil. Sounds like we were both at the same stage with the intercooler being the last outstanding component. I did not followed your build up, have you driven your car since turbo'ing?

Thanks, Yup been driving it for approximately 4 months w/out the intercooler, I've been running the .5 bar spring w/out the IC. This morning I installed the .6 bar spring, and let me say that there is a very noticible increase in power w/the extra 1.45 psi.

John,

Ben McFarland (MB911) was or is making kits for the 3.2. He supplied me the BOV, WG and piping, also got me the GSF IC.

I got the turbo from spooled motorsports in Cali. its a Turbonetics TO4E

1998 BMW 328i
Old 05-09-2007, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Merv...and I gotta thank you for turning me onto those constant torque hose clamps....those things are great.

1998 BMW 328i
Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KCPSG
Thanks Merv...and I gotta thank you for turning me onto those constant torque hose clamps....those things are great.
No sweat mate

They really do clamp down well don't they? Their design also compensates for temperature changes and expansion etc... they'll never work their way loose

Now pump that baby up to 0.7bar and enjoy the boost!

P.S: Thanks for your e-mail re: the oil drain bits
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

proto says .7 and i imagine phil or i will try out a .7 spring sometime, but i can't imagine going much faster without breaking something. you'd think after 8 months and almost 2000 miles i'd relax a little, and I have, but the nagging feeling like somethings gonna break, is always there. like tonight, i hit the rev limiter becasue i wasn't paying attention. I think todd has it at 7100. scared me all the way home.

ANy tire rub phil? I'll be sleeping all day today, don't ask.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
No Jer no tire rub...w/all the weight loss between the bumpers and A/C the body has come up not quite a 1/4"

1998 BMW 328i
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hey Phil, got any install pictures?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
well no pics of during the install, but it was fairly simple. We set a cardboard box and some shop rags on top of the fan housing to get the approximate height I wanted and then went to cutting and installing pipe and silicone connectors.

I can take some more pics of the connectors and the bracing I used if needed.

1998 BMW 328i
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Phil,

That looks terrific. I guess heat will not be a big issue in Lafayette?

Please take some more pictures! Jerry has been very kind to me, answering my questions and sharing his sources for parts. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the install. Pictures that show how the turbo fits into the system, where the wastegate, blowoff valve, and FPR go would be a big help.

Is that a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer on the IC? I saw one on Ebay.

What size is the elbow that goes from the IC to the MAF? Did you have to fabricate some kind of flange to connect the hose?
"Driving in its most beautiful form"
Old 06-15-2007, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Here are a few more pics that hopefully show what you are looking for.

you can see the FPR mounted on top of the left bank intake manifold...this was before the IC was installed.

1998 BMW 328i
Old 06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Ohh and yes that is a 3" - 2" silicone coupler from the IC to the turbo piping. Ben from M&K made the SS turbo piping and had made the flange that connects to the AFM. I just cut the pipe where I needed to install the IC. The BOV is still basically in the same location as shown in the 2nd pic above (just turned around). I have bought most of my parts from ATP turbo and http://www.turbohoses.com/90%20degree.htm

1998 BMW 328i
Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Phil,

I talked to Todd at protomotive. He does the oil drain back through the cam cover (I think I remember that right). I remember Jerry writing that his engine heated much quicker going through the cover. I think your solution is very elegant, but Todd says that changing oil will become a hassle with that setup. Have you changed your oil since this was configured? Is it a hassle? I saw a picture of a drain spigot on an oil tank on one of the threads. Would it be possible (and not dangerous) to fit something like that on?
"Driving in its most beautiful form"
Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have any issues draining my oil. there is just enough room to remove the fitting to the case to change the oil. It is just a little more of a hassle I guess, but really no big deal. I do have the futomoive valve on the oil tank but not on the case. They do sell one that will fit the case, but you won't be able to then run the oil return to the case there. You will have to go to the cam cover. I chose to drain the oil to the oil drain simply B/C it was lower and I would have no issue w/gravity draining the oil. I looked into going to the cam cover...but I felt that it was almost level w/the turbo and the oil might not drain as easily there.

1998 BMW 328i
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Phil, Very clean conversion. Are you maxing out the AFM?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: