Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

I'll even ship them to M&K if that's your preference.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Hey Ben....you wanna take this on....???
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I will take them!!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by mede8er
Hey Ben....you wanna take this on....???
Okay to be fair, I offered them to you first...however, I think "kleinbbc" is on if you decide to pass. Please advise. Just so that we are clear, this is for a set of B&B headers with heat, and single out muffler, and the high temp orange SCEET tubing (runs from the fan shroud to the heater boxes) for US$200.00 plus shipping and any box I need to buy. I'm not in the shipping business, so it will all be my cost and I will provide the invoice for shipping and supplies as proof that I'm making nothing extra for "handling". I offer no guarantee what-so-ever and I will include the original B&B invoice.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Did you get a set of OBX headers? I have a brand new (still in the box) set of Schnell headers from Vertex (w/o heat) that I would like to sell. Good luck.

Tom
Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jbrinkley
merv, are gsf 321 stainless?
No, the GFS's are T304. Nothing wrong with T304. It's used by some pretty reputable turbo tuners in the states, such as Protomotive, for their custom single and twin turbo headers.

T321 will stay shinier for longer, but I've heard it gets brittle easier and develop cracks faster.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

i just wondered because the 304 ssi's, I'm betting will fail in a short time, I could be wrong but people have said they will. maybe they don't know anything, i don't really know.
in the end I'll take ben's advice and go with whatever he says when and if mine fail.
the more i think about it the more i believe the heat inside the actual heater boxes plays an important role

maybe that's why they call me moto, (master of the obvious0
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Oxner
Did you get a set of OBX headers? I have a brand new (still in the box) set of Schnell headers from Vertex (w/o heat) that I would like to sell. Good luck.

Tom
Thanks, Tom! Yes, I did end up purchasing the OBX headers.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I''ll fix em if someone want to send em here..

as to what the difference between 304 and 321 the 321 is alloyied with TI and is less likely to rust and crack like 304. 304 also becomes very plastic like at about 1400 degrees. 321 can better handle that and the acids from the engine.. Most turbo people use 321 but it is very expensive and sometimes hard to get ahold of it as it is a very small part of the industry.. If our main line NA mufflers were made of 304 we could sell them for at least 150 dollars less...

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Hmmmm...Thanks Ben.....

I'll pass to klein, sandman....
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

again I suggest the ssi 930 setup as the permenent soulition..

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

The OBX headers will fit, no problem....

I'd suggest beating on them with a rubber mallet or deadblow to make sure there are no semi-loose beads or slag waiting to chomp on your turbo. I didn't notice or shake loose anything on this set, but....

Pat Kelley
87 930
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks for the advice, Pat! I'm really looking forward to going heaterboxLESS! So much cleaner under there...I love the uncluttered look!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Me like track days

I believe Kevin (builder the K27 HF-S) recommends chasing the welds with a file prior to the install - I've seen 2 sets of the OBX that were pretty sloppy inside.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
He also suggests washing out the headers with a bottle brush and hot soapy water.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

B&B headers for sale**update**

Well gang, I hate to disappoint and I'm sorry to have mislead a few of you regarding the sale of my leaking B&B headers, but I've decided to keep them and have them fixed - even if it means having the heater boxes cut off to properly repair them. I'll just add them to the pile of spares I have.

I got several emails from some folks that have been following this thread and all advised me to cool my jets and just have them fixed and save for a rainy day when the El Cheapos (OBX) decide to take a crap! I must admit, I was pretty pissed at B&B and was just looking to rid them of my site! Even the wife advised me to hang on to them...considering the purchase price.

The single out B&B muffler, however, I'm happy to let go.

Again, all apologies...
Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It amazes me that people keep buying B&B products.
I hear this same story of bad welds and customer service repeated over and over ......

Here's an idea, send your leaky heat exchangers to MotorMiester for repair. Maybe two wrongs can make a right! Ha!

Just yankin' you a bit, no insults intended.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
It amazes me that people keep buying B&B products.
I hear this same story of bad welds and customer service repeated over and over ......

Here's an idea, send your leaky heat exchangers to MotorMiester for repair. Maybe two wrongs can make a right! Ha!

Just yankin' you a bit, no insults intended.
None taken. FWIW, the welds (aesthetically speaking) are actually quite good on my B&Bs. Customer service, however, is another story As I mentioned, these are the headers that came on my car when I bought it. They'll be repaired by a local welder and relegated to a corner in my garage for the day when I might need them again...hoping to have better luck with something else.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Lets hope we have many more mild winters here in NC, or you will have to put your kids in arctic parkas when you take them to school in the mornings! I will have the SSI's on mine so we can compare over time which ones hold up the best, I'm sure we will have some spirited drives coming up as soon as I get mine put back together!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by AngM018
Lets hope we have many more mild winters here in NC, or you will have to put your kids in arctic parkas when you take them to school in the mornings! I will have the SSI's on mine so we can compare over time which ones hold up the best, I'm sure we will have some spirited drives coming up as soon as I get mine put back together!
LOL! I have little doubt that your SSIs are the way to go for longevity and comfort! I just needed a quick, cheap fix! The OBXs will be here today.

Funny, the crawl space under my house is littered with Porsche exhaust parts: I've got the factory muffler and exhaust pipes, these cursed B&B headers and single out muffler, a Fabspeed Zork tube, the original waste gate and exhaust, the old air injection system, and Jimmy Hoffa's well preserved dead body! If I ever decide to sell my car, someone will get a truck load of spares!

Yeah, with the removal of my AC and the the loss of a heating system, my car has quickly turned into a body with four wheels and an engine! I guess, I'll hand my kids blankets during the winter months and those cheeky battery powered hand held personal fans in the summer!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: