Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I am the liquor..."

Angry B&B Headers - got a god d@mn hole!

Well, tonight I decided to pull my headers to investigate what I've suspected to be an exhaust leak at number three! It was hard to diagnose because I have B&B headers WITH heat and I could never see any real leakage occurring at the flange or around the exhaust port. It turns out the freaking pipe from number three has a hole about 1/4" in diameter (maybe slightly smaller) right as the pipe enters the heater box!!!!!!! So it's sort of hidden! And I never really used the heat this year...so no fumes pouring into the car. And from what I can tell, number six is about to burn a hole in the same spot! It looks like the weld used to hold the heater box to the pipe is possibly the culprit!

Now for the million dollar question: what to do? How to handle this? The previous owner had these installed. The receipt I found from B&B is from 4/5/2005. The expressed warranty at the bottom of the page says two years!!!!! This is BS! Is this a known defect? Should I even bother with B&B for any recourse? Keep in mind this could have been pretty dangerous if I had been using the heat!

This is my daily driver and now I'm down! After this experience, I'm tempted to get my next set WITHOUT heat so I can keep an eye on the entire length of pipe!

What say the dealers and experts on this site?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-09-2007 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sand Man,

I would gather your information together and give B & B a call and see how it plays out. Give them a chance to respond to you first.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by kuehl
Sand Man,

I would gather your information together and give B & B a call and see how it plays out. Give them a chance to respond to you first.
Yes, I suppose it's worth a shot! Maybe they'd be willing to work something out if a new set couldn't be delivered. I'd gladly take a cheaper set without the heat this time. I thought about having it welded, but it's a very awkward spot and the fear of FOD into the turbo would make matters worse.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i had similiar crack/hole problem with mine and after the 2 year period you are on your own; they won't do anything and i can smell exhaust from mine when the heat is on.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Run heater-boxless headers and have a shroud made that surrounds your muffler. Protomotive does this and they also make a oil cooler heat exchanger for the Carrera based turbo's too
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Well if B&B won't help me (and I doubt they will)....it looks like I'll be a contender for the El Cheapo OBX headers...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Arent B&B"s T304 anyway? OBX's are 321, so you get a more resilient and durable header material anyway. Just double check the welds in/around collector to make sure it's smooth and clean before installing on your car. I think they'd be OK to be honest. I run GSF's and they perform great.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

merv, are gsf 321 stainless?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd
Arent B&B"s T304 anyway? OBX's are 321, so you get a more resilient and durable header material anyway. Just double check the welds in/around collector to make sure it's smooth and clean before installing on your car. I think they'd be OK to be honest. I run GSF's and they perform great.
Yes the B&Bs are T304, which is pretty damn sad when you consider that the previous owner spent damn close to $3,200 for these things, including a *****ty single-out muffler that sounded like azz and that I soon removed. I probably would have bought GHLs as I know they use T321 and at the time the Asian stuff was just getting started.

I had another look at my B&Bs last night, and I see several more spots that look as if they'd be holes/cracks in the very near future.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

for a cheap alternative you could send em to us we will fix em for you.. not for free but allot cheaper then buying new

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

oh also you guys should really look at the ssi(930) setup. allot of really high end shops use them just not as visable as what you see on the net.. I use them and love em. they are made of 321 and for about 1600 plus an hour or 2 of weld time you have something that will last longer then the car.. I already know some of you guys will balk at this but like I said you would be suprised on the usage out there and how many really love the setup. There is a pic on my website of the set up on my car. it is a bit different for you 930 guys but really close. www.mkexhaust.com under projects.. these are specific for turbo applications

Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Thanks for the info, Ben!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

no problem

Old 05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

B&B just fixed mine sounds like the same old story if you goto rennlist
and look in 964 turbo you will see my pics. Well it cost my $200. for them to fix. Well back on the car and they sound like they are still leaking..
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I know stuff happens...it's a performance car that I drive every day, I know the exhaust in these things gets hella hot, but this B&B kit was over $3,200 and lasted just barely two years!!!! That's sad to me! I would have expected more! Silly me...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Got to pay if you wanna play, I suppose.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

There is nothing more fun than a weld chunk coming off and slamming your turbo. BTDT!

New headers....
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Dammit sandman....

I marked those OBX headers this morning after reading your thread and you had already snatched em tonight when I got home.....

Keep us posted on quality....
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by mede8er
Dammit sandman....

I marked those OBX headers this morning after reading your thread and you had already snatched em tonight when I got home.....

Yep! Sorry! After B&B wanted me to send mine back in and pay them (B&B) a minum of $300.00 for the repair, I decided to cut my loses with with these folkers and take the cheap way out wtih the OBX stuff! We'll see! My only concern at this point is proper fitment!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by mede8er
Dammit sandman....

I'll sell you my existing B&Bs with heater boxes and single out muffler for $200.00 (plus shipping). Obviously you'd have to send them off to M&K or a local shop to have the hole fixed...

At this point I'm only looking for a few bucks to offset the cost of the new iron.

I'll aslo throw in the the high quality, high temp SCEET orange tubing for the heater boxes.

Last edited by sand_man; 05-10-2007 at 04:40 PM..
Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: