Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
930 dyno tie downs

All, I'm wondering where you guys tie your 930s down when you dyno? Also, what type of apparatus was used, belts with hooks, chains...?

My rear factory tie down eyes are partially block due to exhaust.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It's not the best place but mine was tied down using the banana arms in the rear and my tow hooks in the front. Done with belts with hooks. I made sure that all 4 points were very tight before we began. The alignment is still perfect so it all worked out.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Banana arm holes and front tow hooks.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I use a dyno dynamics, so it's pretty easy. I use a couple 3" straps over the banana arms as close to the wheels as possible making sure to go under the parking brake cables.

Are you going to do some SDS tuning? What kind of dyno are you using?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Brian and Mike, I thought the brake lines were an issue if you put the straps around the banana arms, but I guess this is not the case.

David, did the dyno shop have some special hooks to fit into the holes in the banana arms? The hooks I've seen in the past were the type on the end of a belt, and the hook would be too wide to fit into the hole. I'll stop by the dyno shop and see what his hardware looks like.

I'm going to use a shop where a friend took his 911. I think it's a Mustang dyno and they had some issue with tie downs which based on my friends description would be an issue on my car. The owner is reasonable only billing for time the dyno is active, and not set-up time. There are lots of shops to choose from here, and one in particular operated by a very technical guy, but you end up going down in smoke because his personal car (supra) makes more power than yours, guaranteed, though it was probably only on one occasion where he used doped fuel, turned up the boost, etc etc. He charges lots too. Too bad, he is truely talented, but can't accept old school german toys for what they are.

Tuning wise, I'm only looking at timing to see if I can refine it, and try to get some idea of how much torque I'm making.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The ricers can make crazy power but that is all some seem to understand.

I was fortunate to find a fellow in my own back yard who is an intelligent tuner. He understands the relationship of parts and the affects of components and packages on driveability and longevity. He also understands the goals of the owner and that ultimate HP may not be one of them. I enjoyed seeing his eyes light up when my torque numbers were higher than the HP number with a curve that looked like it belonged to a small block V8.

THAT is the kind of shop you need to find.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: