Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Does anybody have any integrity anymore?

My long distance buying saga continues. The mechanic in Roseburg, Oregon quotes me $150 for repair of steering shaft bearing and $150 for a speedo fix. Call him Friday...my new bill is......$700. "I quoted your price based on a repair manual and that was nowhere near right and oh, by the way, your car doesn't leave here until I'm paid in full." Bend-over and take one for Visa.

The car hauler asks me to call him today and provide him the address so he can pick-up the car tomorrow.....So, I call and he starts in w/ "Oh, I said so I can 'make arrangements to get it picked up blah blah blah"...NEXT.

What is so difficult about honoring your word anymore?

Starting out pretty rough as a new owner.
Scott

Last edited by pavulon; 05-28-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Old 05-28-2007, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That sux... sorry to hear of your bad experiences

Sorry to say, but get use to be raped by Porsche workshops. try and do most of the work yourself if you can.

I've taken my car to a number of workshops and every experience has been negative. They really do see you coming from a mile away.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It's called P car tax
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yea, these people think because we have a Porsche we are filthy rich and will take it.

DIY as WydRyd said.
2001 Boxster S
Old 05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm still too angrry to tell my Porsche story. Four (yep 4) seperate shops ripped me off before I found one that worked (Pat Williams). I paid for EFI twice and engine building twice and suspension twice.

Find a really good shop or do all the work yourself. I am not a DIY guy but I could not have done worse than most of the "professionals" out there.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

He should have informed you of the increase before performing the repairs. It's bullsheet, but he knows that a lawyer will cost you a whole bunch more than $700.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
ya, complete bs., experienced myself more then once, and aside from time constriants i try and do everything myself....

i had a written quote for 3800, and we changed 2 very tiny things, which i didn't even expect any price change for, bill came back 3x the quote, which was no-longer valid as it wasn't the work performed/agreed upon.....

and this is from the best shop i've heard of/ experienced.

there are defiently safe places to take your car, however they don't do normal repair work i don't think. like tre, steve@rennsprot, supertec, woods, they are the best and their bills/quotes are intially higher, however i'm beginning to feel that if i had just gone with one of them i'd have saved 1/2 my money.

life lessons...not always just about doing things right/justly, sometimes its learning that others don't.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

that is such crap, Im a mechanic and when I quote a job for flat rate- that is the labor price. IF the book says 6 hours, then I charge six hours even if I get hosed and it takes me 8. I would b!tch-slap that guy and get my keys back.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I dont know that you have to pay that in its entirety. His quote is what you have to pay.. Then I would get Guido and make a personal apearance and have him justify the amount. Then I would take my car anyway...Whats he going to do. The car belongs to you...Whats he going to do..give you mechanics lein...????More trouble than its worth...
Pay him his original quaote and take your car..I would never let this guy bone me...I would stand in front of his shop with a sign stating that you have been lied too..that will get his attention...
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
[i].. Then I would get Guido and make a personal apearance and have him justify the amount. ... [/B]
Hey, I take that personally
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
What's the name of the shop? Might as well list it here so southern Oregon Pelicans don't get taken by them in the future. Had the original quote been an honest mistake, the shop should have called you back BEFORE the work was done to avoid this type of sticker shock and ill-feeling.

You could also file a complaint with the BBB. Not that it really does anything, but it's free and will make you feel better. The one time I filed a BBB complaint about an auto shipper, I wound up getting a couple hundred dollars back.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

A great mechanic is worth its weight in gold. Believe it or not, I used to take my P car to the local midas for everything since there was a young guy there who used to work on his uncle's 911s and actually cared and enjoyed working on all my old cars (and did a great job). Unforetunately, he's not there anymore, so the closest shop is basically the dealer, 50 mi away, and usually it takes two trips to get it done right. At least they gave me a new P-car loaner last time :-) And I don't have the time to DIY between work and having an 18-month old (which is well worth the expense of having someone else do the work).
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Man I could tell you stories about Porsche shops that would make you go wow! Charles is as good as it gets in the Porsche world at lnengineering!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
bro i bought my car out of houston tx sight unseen. it took 3 months , was more stressfull than buying a house ,told the guy to go f himself 3 times ,had to resend check 5 times because the guy wanted to deposit in his account not his payoff. finally recieved the car was more than I wanted , the seller did not tell me all the stuff that was hanging on it K27 turbo ******** intercooler , 935 boost guage,extra parts, threw in a radar detector . I really stole the car and the seller relized it when it was on the truck to me. Was worth the 3 month wait, hard to stay out of the car. Very awesome machine.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah930
What's the name of the shop? Might as well list it here so southern Oregon Pelicans don't get taken by them in the future. Had the original quote been an honest mistake, the shop should have called you back BEFORE the work was done to avoid this type of sticker shock and ill-feeling.

You could also file a complaint with the BBB. Not that it really does anything, but it's free and will make you feel better. The one time I filed a BBB complaint about an auto shipper, I wound up getting a couple hundred dollars back.
When I get my car, I'll post the shop name. For now, he still has my Speedo coming to him B/4 being shipped to me.

I'm sure the shop owner/operator would contend that he told me it was taking him a lot longer than the manual quoted...and he did tell me that...he also FULLY neglected to tell me that I was going to be paying a bunch for him to take longer.

The BBB will hear from me as well. ugghhh.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Pay your bill with a credit card so you have options.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Pay your bill with a credit card so you have options.
I did. Not sure what I would tell the CC company though.

As an aside, I just scheduled transprotation w/ Chris Ridgeway on a "handshake" agreement. I hope that works out as I've seen him recommended on this board.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Really sorry to hear about your dilemna....unfortunately, especially in those instances where you're dealing with a sudden and unforseen problem away from home base...you find yourself at the mercy of wherever the tow ends up taking it. I've found that I'd rathe pay the extra mileage and have them take it to someone I have a trusted relationship with....even if it mean shipping it hundreds of miles. Just too damn much anxiety dealing with unknowns...who pull that sort of flat rate manual crap. What happens is they don't really know the car, so you end up paying the hourly rate for them to read up or experiment on how to approach the problem...or they have to call in someone else to help and charge you.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

So, I got the car and it is immediately clear to be the very antithesis of what it was represented (in writing) to be. Previous owner denied knowledge of previous/obvious body work, PPI shop denies knowledge of obvious body work, broker denies responsibility of repeating (in writing) previous owner's claims. Oh, the previous owner also took the car back last year for misrepresenting it (also documented in writing). So...I had to get a lawyer and file. Sucks.

Last edited by pavulon; 11-11-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 11-11-2007, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
sorry to hear that man!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: