Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

Those are some NICE welds, Brian -
Old 06-07-2007, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
Today was a good day. I chisel off the last bolt holding on the muffler. The rear bumper is requiring more fitting than I thought but its slowly coming around. I am going to have to cut some more FG off to get it to fit around the muffler can. I also think that it is going to be wide of the fenders by about a 1/8 of an inch, which I am not happy about. I also hooked up the zork to see how loud it is. I must say it sounds badass! It is about as loud as a Harley at idol but quiets off when you get on it. Sounds really good so I am going to try it out and see if i piss of the people next door.

I also got my new 934 bumper today. It looks really good.

It has four bolts that SHOULD (big should) fit on the bumper shocks. This should make mounting it pretty easy.

I do need four of these studs that screw into the turbo that bolts to the muffler

Part number OEM-90008105102

Do you think these are what I am looking for?

FYI the fabspeed weighed in at 19lbs.
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
...I have a Zork Tube for sale as well :

But that particular Zork isn't for sale...that's a picture of mine sitting on my bench :-) ...made by Ben of M&K.
2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
2014 911 GT3 Rhodium Silber
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
DDDD -

An attitude improvement would be appreciated from the people who are obviously trying to help you.

I don't have a digital camera yet, like I said. I offered to get one to show you my CIS, because you seem really curious about that.

I said thanks for the concern.

I don't know what I did to rub you the wrong way, except maybe trying to get you to talk about the zork tube, which you brought up in the first place. I said the zork tube was 'damn loud', but that has nothing to do with you. So I'm at a loss here.....

Anyway, I try to avoid internet conflicts because mostly it is always just misunderstandings. Everything's good.

-Dave
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Me like track days

I agree. Hard to communicate by pushing letters on a keyboard.

I'd say the curiosity about your setup stems from the fact that introducing fuel into a dry manifold of a 930 is in all honesty a
particularly bad idea. Fuel delivery is all over the map, fuel runs
on the side of the manifold walls, & distribution *of* that fuel from runner to runner really sucks.

But.... it shows up on an AFR reading as a-ok.
It just isn't healthy for your wallet or your engine.

You don't need to go buy a digital camera, just describe the setup as best you can and we will try to help.

I just hate to see someone's dream car go ka-poof from bad execution -

Last edited by Craig 930 RS; 06-07-2007 at 07:37 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Cardsrule: Was the zork tube really no louder than a Harley? My current exhaust is loud as that.

Did you actually drive it around?

Did you really get on it?

Any flames?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
I agree. Hard to communicate by pushing letters on a keyboard.

I'd say the curiosity about your setup stems from the fact that introducing fuel into a dry manifold of a 930 is in all honesty a
particularly bad idea. Fuel delivery is all over the map, fuel runs
on the side of the manifold walls, distribution of that fuel really sucks.

But it show up on an AFR reading as a-ok.
It jsut isn't healthy for your wallet or your engine, Dave.

You don't need to go buy a digital camera, just describe the setup as best you can and we will try to help.

I just hate to see someone's dream car go ka-poof from bad execution I guess.
I really don't think the set up is anything like that. The injectors plug directly into the fuel system, it is all hooked into the same fuel line. My shop is a Porsche shop, and I had them rebuild the entire system. I asked them if it was set up okay and they thought it was fine. They liked everything about how my car was set up.

I am going to put in a programmable CIS and probably have the engine built out to a 3.2.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

DDDD- I did not move the car but I got the revs up around 4,000 rpm's and it sounded good. I had my brother stand about 20 feet behind the car and he said it wasn't too loud. It did have a totally different sound than the fabspeed. You can hear the cam overlap, really cool. I am sure one of these other guys that run a zork all the time could jump in here...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Bob - I wondered where that picture originated. I hope you don't mind me using it for now as it is a very good picture of the product.
The Zorks I have for sale ARE identical to that particular one. M&K is the manufacturer for all of my 930 exhaust equipment. The Zork tube pictured was one of the first ones sold after the jig was made using my personal Zork Tube.

Craig - those welds are from M&K.

I just received an e-mail from Pelican giving me the green light post an official thread introducing my 930 exhaust systems, which they will be listing in their catalog along with the M&K N/A mufflers.

As far as sound level is concerned, it truely is in the ear of the beholder. Personally I cannot tolerate the sound of the Zork at idle, and neither can my nieghbors. Everyone is different and all situations and living environments are different as well. If my neighborhood was not full of old folks, who enjoy the quiet, I might feel a little less uneasy about slipping it on every now and then for a morning blast through the mountains. Once underway the sound is intoxicating.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Brian, I am looking forward to your exhaust thread.

By the way, can you post some pictures of your GT2 wing on your car, or send them to me? I am interested in getting a wing.

Where did you get it? Is it a Stosek wing?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Cardsrule, I take it you are going to re-use your bumper shocks?

Some people take them off to save even more weight, and fashion simple aluminum brackets.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
Brian, no worries about the picture at all...glad it could be used for something. I think that may be the first one Ben sold and it is so nicely made. Was your zork tube that was used to develop the jig one of the Fabspeed ones?

I still haven't gotten it installed since after 30 years the bumperettes are fairly well stuck to the bumper, preventing removal of the valance, and the bumper itself is fairly well stuck to the bumper shocks. Looks like I'll have to disconnect the fender extensions and remove the bumper shocks at the body and see if I can slide the entire bumper/valance/shock assembly rearward.

I hope to see more about your 930 exhaust systems since my original muffler isn't going to last forever. Do, or will, you have a sound file of your 930 exhaust?
2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I already took off the rear bumper shocks. I could not mount the rear bumper with the shocks on. If i can get the holes drilled in the front bumper shocks then i am going to keep them, its going to make mounting the front bumper easy (i hope i don't jinx myself). There is alot more work that goes into these FG bumpers than i though.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You should not need to remove the bumper to install the Zork tube. It will exit under the stock valance.

My GT2 tail was purchased from BWMotorsports 10 years ago. Very nice fit but heavy. Same for the bumpers.

You guys may not like this idea but when I mounted my fiberglass bumbers I removed EVERYTHING to a total of nearly 150 pounds front and rear. The bumpers are actually bolted onto the car.
I have driven this car on the street and track for 10 years and, knock on wood, it still looks the same today with no issues. I drive it like it is a motorcycle - no protection front or rear from an impact.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Your Gt2 tail is heavy? Any idea how heavy? Is it fiberglass?

Do you feel a lot of downforce, and also do you think it causes drag?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Heavy enough to require 2 shocks like a 930 wing. It is fiberglass.

Downforce is adjustable.

Drag? No imperical data but I assume it is a parachute. With a turbo you don't notice so much.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

RarlyL8,

How did you bolt your rear FG bumper to the car? I got a good idea how to bolt the sides but I still haven't figured out how to bolt up the middle of the bumper. I guess I could just use self-tapping screws and just attach it to the car but I think that might be a pain to take on and off.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is a thin metal heat shield that sits under the rear PORSCHE reflector. I used sheet metal screws and attached to it in 4 places.

I am going to be removing my F/G rear bumper next weekend and replacing it with a stock unit in order to mount and run a dyno test on one of the mufflers I will be selling. I can take lots of pictures for you if you like.

My front and rear bumpers are literally held on by bolts to the body and the dual stock flair braces at the bottom. After 10 years of crappy road jolts and hitting curbs they still look good. It amazes me actually.

Take a look at this picture. See the bumper sitting next to the car? And the rear of the car itself? That's it. No shocks, no heat shields, no weight.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Craig,
It sounds like DDDD has a fuel injector bleeding off fuel pressure at the WUR.

I use the Greddy Rebic IV and its fully programable, very simple set up.

Dan
Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Gasoline User

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
You should not need to remove the bumper to install the Zork tube...
I wish I didn't have to remove it. Problem is I do need to get the valance off so I can get to all 4 nuts holding the muffler on. Can't get the valance off though until the bumper pads come off and they are STUCK to the bumper after 30 years of heat. Decided to just remove the bumper/valance as a unit but the bumper is STUCK to the bumper shocks after 30 years of heat. That's how I've arrived at the idea of removing the bumper shocks at the body and see if I can slide the entire bumper/valance/shock assembly rearward.

I'm amazed at how the heat and time has fused the rubber and metal parts of the bumper assembly together and I really don't want to sacrifice parts when all I'm trying to do is temporarily remove the valance.
2013 Cayenne GTS Schwarz
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: