Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
Its really wavy. If you are looking for a close to perfect tail this is not the one. I have to work on the FG to get it to fit right...pain in the ass.
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

For the bumper, you should try to get some black trim and run it around the top where the gaps are. It should help smooth things out, and create a natural 'step' between the rear quarter panel and the bumper.

It gives it a finished look.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

I am planning on using some black trim to clean it up a bit. I am just getting everything fitted and then taking it off to paint (thinking of doing it myself).

Does anyone know where to get some of the black rubber trim?

Got the front bumper on today. Its really solid with the brackets and bolts. I should have everything bolted up tight tomorrow with some photos...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Well i got all FG on the car and took it for a spin. Everything held together fine. I did order some heat shield for the rear bumper. The rear bumper was pretty hot (maybe it had something to do with it being 114 out today).

It was the first time that i ran the car with the zork tube. Its pretty loud on start up and idle but not that loud while driving. It does sound kinda weird, not sure if i am going to keep it on.

I should get the bumper painted here in the next few weeks (thinking about doing myself). I will post the finished product.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Sure makes it look different!

Did you end up bolting the bumpers on to the body? I got mine on this evening and took some pictures for you but it looks like you've got it handled.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Nice front end.

I think you could fix that tail nicely by running a sort of "U" shaped trim along the entire bottom lip of the tail where it is a little wavy, if you get what I mean, something that would grip both sides of the tail bottom lip and you could glue it on. sort of an end cap trim piece along the lower lip.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

yep i bolted it to the body. I also made some brackets to keep everything nice and strong. Now i got to take it all off and figure out how to prep it for paint. Still not sure if i am going to paint it myself or not...

DDDD- i like that idea, i was thinking about using some bondo (not even sure if it will hold on FG) and cleaning it up but a rubber trim piece would be wayyy easier.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

That front end does look nice. Good work.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
Nice front end.

I think you could fix that tail nicely by running a sort of "U" shaped trim along the entire bottom lip of the tail where it is a little wavy, if you get what I mean, something that would grip both sides of the tail bottom lip and you could glue it on. sort of an end cap trim piece along the lower lip.
Is it possible just to add some of the fibreglass resin onto it to extend it? Can it be used without adding the cloth?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
You can buy micro-balloons or fibers and make up fairing putty. A lot easier than messing with cloth - for small jobs anyway.

85 930
Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

I was thinking that you may be able to run some kind of a thin metal strip along the back of the tail lip as a sort of 'backbone' piece to keep it straight. Not sure if that is possible. Maybe use the fiber resin with a thin reinforcement strip?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

i think if i paint it myself i won't mess with the tail. I have a hvlp gun but i have no idea how to use it... anyone ever painted any FG before?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Cards- I left you a private message on another topic.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Is it possible just to have a bigger gap at the top (near the rear screen) so you can remove some material from the bottom of the cover to straighten it up?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

I really can't take much FG off the lip because of the seam that is right underneath.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

well after 3+ months i finally go the car back together. I did all the painting and install myself. Other than the color being off a little (to blue) it turned out pretty good. I learned a lot which was most of the fun (also sucks ass at times). I took off around 130lbs and added a front mount oil cooler. I am going to drive the car a lot this week to make sure everything is working and then i am off to the track on Saturday.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
excuse me for venturing into the unknown (I'm from that "other" Porsche realm know as the 928 side of things), but I still didn't quite get the deal about two other injectors on the CIS setup you guys were discussing......?

I am in the middle of building a blown/stroked/Euro 928 engine, using the CIS setup that my Euro 928 came with.

Where are the two other injectors plumbed in at? Are they down stream of the turbo, or just prior to the intake ports on the heads, or are they plumbed into the intake manifold?

While I'm not going to be using turbos, I will be using a roots type supercharger and was curious about extra injection to coincide with the blower's increased air compression (volume)to prevent detonation.

Any thoughts or guidance from any of you?

thanks---rhj

P.S. NIce job on the Carrera......funny looking exhaust though----maybe you'd like my header sidepipes on my 928 better? Loud as heck (no muffs inside), but absolutely zero backpressure......

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Cards: I was thinking about this project the other day, good to see the results. Your car looks really cool!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhjames View Post
excuse me for venturing into the unknown (I'm from that "other" Porsche realm know as the 928 side of things), but I still didn't quite get the deal about two other injectors on the CIS setup you guys were discussing......?

I am in the middle of building a blown/stroked/Euro 928 engine, using the CIS setup that my Euro 928 came with.

Where are the two other injectors plumbed in at? Are they down stream of the turbo, or just prior to the intake ports on the heads, or are they plumbed into the intake manifold?

While I'm not going to be using turbos, I will be using a roots type supercharger and was curious about extra injection to coincide with the blower's increased air compression (volume)to prevent detonation.

Any thoughts or guidance from any of you?

thanks---rhj

P.S. NIce job on the Carrera......funny looking exhaust though----maybe you'd like my header sidepipes on my 928 better? Loud as heck (no muffs inside), but absolutely zero backpressure......
I am not knowledgble enough to explain this well, but I have had another friend look at the set up recently and essentially the two extra lines don't deliver fuel, they change the pressure so that the WUR flows more fuel. The lines are using pressure to trick the WUR or manifold or something into thinking that the car needs more fuel flow.

The CIS system runs on vacuum, so if you can change the pressure when boost comes on, you are essentially making the car richer, almost like when you start a lawn tractor and at first you pull out the choke to get extra gas into the tractor to help it start. Only in this situation, the 'choke' application is permanent, in other words the change in pressure to the CIS system constantly causes more fuel to flow, especially under boost.

Greddy sell these set ups...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
rhj, I think your hot wire will take care of your fuelling. Install an wideband AFR gauge to check. I have an innovate system.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products.php

You can buy them from www.imagineauto.com

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: