Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
Pants-less 930

I decided to loose some weight off my 80% track 930, so the bumpers and tail are getting replaced with FG pieces. As you can see I got the rear bumper and tail off today. I cannot believe how heavy they are! I did the old jump on the bathroom scale with them in my hand. The bumper was around 45lbs and the tail was around 38lbs. The front bumper comes off tomorrow so we will see how much it weighs in.

Anyway do any of you guys know the best way to cut FG? I need to make the exhaust opening larger before i can start fitting it. Any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Cool, I'd also be interested in what your front bumper weighs! I am thinking about doing this same thing.

Where are you getting a replacement tail? I have not found a direct replacement for the tea tray tail style.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I'd dremel tool it out,,
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

DDDD

Here is a FG stock tail:

http://www.tremotorsports.com/product.cfm?Node=767

I got a Shaw rear bumber, TRE 934 front and a DP style tail from better bodies.

9dreizig- that's what i was thinking, i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't splinter on the edges. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Re: Pants-less 930

Quote:
Originally posted by cardsrule
Anyway do any of you guys know the best way to cut FG? I need to make the exhaust opening larger before i can start fitting it. Any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott - what works really great and makes a nicely radius'd, smooth opening (won't crack) is a 2" drum sander that fits in a regular drill. Use a coarse paper and you will be amazed at how fast it eats FG..

Last edited by GaryR; 06-05-2007 at 06:37 AM..
Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

If you have a compressor, Harbor Freight has a cheapo body saw, on sale I think it was $15. Used it to cut out my rear seat pan, worked great.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Are you worried at all about not having any protection between the fg rear bumper and those expensive turbo and other exhaust goodies?

That is about all that has kept me from going that route.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have heard of people using painters tape to cover the front and back of where your going to cut. helps keep a smooth edge on the FG
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I haven't done it but I would think a ceramic tile saw would also cut a FG part nice.

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-05-2007 at 01:39 PM..
Old 06-05-2007, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Is there any chance you can weigh just the engine lid, without the tea tray tail attached to it?

The reason I ask for this favor is that I want to replace the tea tray tail, but I don't really want to fork out another $360 plus painting to do the engine lid if it only weighs like 10 lbs, as I suspect! The engine lid seems to be mainly a big hole.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide on that.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I picked up a dremel tool and tried it on a little piece of FG, I think itís going to work great. I did get the front bumper off, weighed in at 19 lbs. I have not removed the lower valence yet. Like anything on this car it took me a little while to figure it out but if I had to take the bumper off again it would take 15 minute.

930LDR- I heard of some heat resistance tape that I am going to put on the inside of the bumper. Some guy on the 911 BBS used it and I guess it works great.

DDDD- I will see how hard it will be to take off the tail, I have to put it back on the car soon. They are making my new tail so it wonít be here for a few weeks. I think you are right, I donít think it weighs more than 10-12 pounds.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
930LDR- I heard of some heat resistance tape that I am going to put on the inside of the bumper. Some guy on the 911 BBS used it and I guess it works great.

You are talking about a tremendous amount of heat.. Any chance of moving your heat shield from the OEM bumper into your FG one?? I've seen the OEM bumper start to melt..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I didn't realize you needed to put the tail back on, so if it is not convenient, no biggie...

Who makes the heat resistant tape? Is it thermo-tec? They make some kind of aluminium product for muffler wrapping, I believe.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
Is there any chance you can weigh just the engine lid, without the tea tray tail attached to it?

The reason I ask for this favor is that I want to replace the tea tray tail, but I don't really want to fork out another $360 plus painting to do the engine lid if it only weighs like 10 lbs, as I suspect! The engine lid seems to be mainly a big hole.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide on that.
DDDD, 9lbs for the lid without hinges or latch assemblies.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 89turbocabmike
DDDD, 9lbs for the lid without hinges or latch assemblies.
QUICK! Somebody tell Cardsrule to put down the wrench and back away from the engine lid!

Seriously, I will PM Cardsrule and let him know I got that answer.

I didn't think it weighed enough to replace with a fiberglass part.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Actually my concern was less about the heat generated and more about what happens if someone rear ends you (or you back the car into a wall at the track). Mine steel bumper has come in handy for just such an incident in the past.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

For a more meaningful & (safer) weight reduction and performance increase, toss the muffler and get a Zork -
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I have CIS with a couple extra microfuelers. Isn't that going to throw flames with a zork tube? I live in the woods, I can't under any circumstances throw flames or my property will go up in flames.

Also, isn't it really really loud for a street car?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Me like track days

Microfuelers? Show us pictures.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

DDDD- no worries, I didn't take it off.

I did finish taking off the front bumper, other than a few rough bolts it wasn't to hard. I also took off the rear bumper shocks (weighed in at 7lbs each) The bolt on the back of the shock next to the oil tank was really hard (FYI its a 17mm bolt).

I also started cutting the FG. The dremel works pretty good.

My Fabspeed muffler hangs out a little so I had to notch the bottom. I am going to just move the license plate over so you can't see it.

I am having a really hard time getting off the last bolt that is holding the muffler on the turbo. The bolt is hitting the tube, i have no idea how they got it on. I think I am going to have to cut it off. So I had to put the install of the zork on hold.

930LDR- if I still lived in Chicago I would not be doing any of this. Here in Phoenix I don't have to parallel park anywhere and I am had a pretty good track record of not backing into stuff.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: