Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah930
Turbojet,

By the questions you've posted, you're fairly new to the Porsche world. That's OK, as we all were/are at some point (even if it seems like that was at the age of 2 for some of us). But if you want some pointers as to which 911 to get, then give us some idea of what you're looking for in a car, and what your budget is. It's obvious you've got something in mind. But we're not mind readers. Also, there are a bunch of excellent Porsche books you can find--even browse for free at your local Barnes & Noble--that'll give you some history on the 911 and 930 lines.
slant nose turbo. do they exist? . the link sand man gave me is great. but it does not say any thing about slant noses.
I found out from my hours of search that slant noses where made in the mid 80's however I found a slant nose that is 1979.

what is more important is the turbo option and the extra wide body ( that came on slant nose cars).
you see, I need to know if some one can clarify this for me. I see many mixed up information on many random links and articls on the net.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Ask and ye shall receieve! Yes there is such a thing as a "slant nose":
http://www.930s.com/index.htm
There are, however, more conversions than the real deal....but if you play your cards right, they are all around!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

No affiliation and it's been for sale FOREVER:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=356044
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
A major problem converting an NA car to a Turbo is the transmission. All the NA 911's before 1987 (IOW cars without the G50 tranny) have the 915 transmission. These can not really handle any more power than the 911 already produced.
The 930, 911 turbo has a 4 speed 930 tranny.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Okay, TURBOJET, you need to spill - what are you looking for? Fill us all in. If you have your heart set on a *REAL* Slant Nose Turbo (930S), you will need to do some serious research! There are many visible clues that help in identifying the real thing. As you've already detected, this is the interweb, and lots of misinformation abounds! Especially with dealers and sellers. Many just don't know they're trying to pass off a conversion...others are more devious.

There are some real Slant Nose owners on here and on Rennlist and are very aware of what to look for...that's why I say to post for sale listings and let us pick them apart
Old 06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man
Okay, TURBOJET, you need to spill - what are you looking for? Fill us all in. If you have your heart set on a *REAL* Slant Nose Turbo (930S), you will need to do some serious research! There are many visible clues that help in identifying the real thing. As you've already detected, this is the interweb, and lots of misinformation abounds! Especially with dealers and sellers. Many just don't know they're trying to pass off a conversion...others are more devious.

There are some real Slant Nose owners on here and on Rennlist and are very aware of what to look for...that's why I say to post for sale listings and let us pick them apart
Sounds good.
here is my first. but it is not a turbo . so if iget it I would have to turbo charge it which is not the way to go. ( better to buy an already turbo car)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/car/343935734.html
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
It's a conversion...meaning that the slantnose was added after the car was produced...which means that you need to know who did it..was it done by a dealer, and indy, or some guy who wanted a slant? Are the fenders steel or fiberglass? If you're into buying a turbo...then buy one with an engine that comes with the factory turbo rather than trying to convert it. Too much work for you and your're just starting out so don't make your project any more difficult than you need to. It's a heck of a lot easier fixing up an existing system than trying to convert one. You can do better than the example you just provided.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Jones
It's a conversion...meaning that the slantnose was added after the car was produced...which means that you need to know who did it..was it done by a dealer, and indy, or some guy who wanted a slant? Are the fenders steel or fiberglass? If you're into buying a turbo...then buy one with an engine that comes with the factory turbo rather than trying to convert it. Too much work for you and your're just starting out so don't make your project any more difficult than you need to. It's a heck of a lot easier fixing up an existing system than trying to convert one. You can do better than the example you just provided.
Thanks, so i will focus on getting a turbo 911 . I AM also KIND OF SOLD ON THE EXTRA WIDE BODY KIT. what years were these kits standard on a turbo car?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

this nice too but the price is too hot to touch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Porsche-930-Slantnose_W0QQitemZ180128036116QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item180128036116
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I hate to use *ALL*, but all "real" 911 Turbos (930) have the "wide body" that you are refering to. Even the very early 3.0L Turbo (non-intercooled engine, with the tea tray style wing) has the wide body.

Anything wider would be a race car: 934, 935, RSR, etc...or something from a Porsche tuner like DP, Gembala (spelling?), Kremer, Stroeseck, etc.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

There was also a "wide body" factory option for some later model normally aspirated cars...I believe this is option M491...I'm sure someone will spank me for getting it wrong.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
So then TurboJet....if $25K is too hot for you...you need to give us an idea of what you consider do-able insofar as your budget is concerned. What's your range? You also need to realize that regardless of how pristine, perfect, flawless, showquality, garage queen, meticulous etc..etc. the cars are when advertised....you are always going to have to hold out $2-3K to take car of nagging little issues that the PO either missed, or like so many of us....just didn't get around to doing.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds to me like the budget is under $15,000.....right? That is a very tight budget for any turbo car. Maybe a none turbo car would fit the bill, then upgrade when more funds become available.

Blaine
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Like I mentioned before, there are a couple books I think you should check out, for starters. Peter Morgan's Original 911 is a good introductory book. Paul Frere also wrote a book, The Porsche 911 Story; his book is much more technically-oriented, though, as Frere was an engineer by training. They're excellent for giving you pointers on "what goes with what," and the reason why the factory did what it did in terms of development of these cars.

Like sand_man mentioned, factory turbos all came with the wide body you prefer. There were also normally-aspirated (non-turbos) that came with the wide body option, M491. It's not just the wider bodywork, but also beefier suspension and brakes, that come along with that (just not the turbo motor). This option only became available sometime in the mid-80s ('84 or so?). The earlier turbos (late-70s) came with 260 HP 3.0 liter motors and no intercooler. You can distinguish them by their single outlet mufflers and slightly smaller "whale tail" rear wings/spoilers. Later 930s (officially imported from '86-'89) came with a larger 3.3 liter 282 HP motor, intercooler, slightly more prominent "tea tray" rear wing (it has the rubber sideplates on the wing, in addition to the rubber rear lip), and a dual-outlet exhaust. '89 versions also notably came with a 5-speed tranny (and different clutch). Standard issue tires/wheels were wider/bigger over the years.

If you find a turbo from the early 80s, it will be a ROW (Rest of World) model. Even if you find a 930 from the 70s or late 80s, you'll have to check to see if it's a US model or ROW model. Whether or not this is good or bad is subject to debate.

Slant nose option was fairly rare from the factory. Most that you'll see out there are probably aftermarket conversions. The quality of the conversion will depend on whoever did it. Factory fenders were made out of steel. There should be boxed rocker panels. The air inlets in the rear fenders have strakes made out of wood, interestingly. And, IIRC (I could be wrong here), I think that a single motor runs the pop-up headlights (aftermarket conversions commonly used 2 RX-7 motors, one for each light). Factory slant noses (which came in coupe, cab, and targa bodystyles) usually command an increased price, but exactly how much is up to debate. The pricing of aftermarket conversions is as variable as the quality of work put into them.

Another question you're bound to ask is about production numbers. There's a little pocket paperback book, called the 911 Redbook. It'll give VIN-specific year-by-year production numbers for both US and ROW models. It'll even break down coupe vs. cab vs. targa numbers, but I don't think it gives slant nose production numbers. Different sources (who all claim to have factory documentation) seem to give different numbers.

All my stuff is in storage, so what I've told you is from memory. If someone knows I'm wrong, please correct me.

Edit: forgot to answer your question: I think just about all the slant noses (from the factory) were for turbo cars. If there were any for n/a cars, it must have been extremely rare. After all, I think the slant nose option added on about $25K or so to the price of the car. Probably not worth it in the eyes of a n/a buyer. And I can't recall when the factory started to offer the slant option, but I don't think it was until the mid-80s.

Last edited by Noah930; 06-06-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-06-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
Turbojet , tread lightly, Porsches are not your average machines. Make sure you are up to this journey. They are quirky,high maintenance,temperture affected,oil dripping ,smokey, loud,expensive parts. Its a car you can run into the ground very quickly if not maintained and cared for . Im not trying to be a _ick ,just trying to make a point . When I was looking for my car I had good luck on Autotrader and searched the whole U.S. . Im sure you can find a slantnose turbo but you are gonna have to search. Good luck!
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
TURBO,

This may interest you.........

FS: Triple Black 993 Widebody/Turbo "S" Conversion on 80' 911 SC Chasis (So. Calif.)
Old 06-06-2007, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Tripster
I have a 84 Targa Widebody conversion Turbo with some very nice mods, A nice car with great power. PM me if interested.
Mark
Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaine Sellie
TURBO,

This may interest you.........

FS: Triple Black 993 Widebody/Turbo "S" Conversion on 80' 911 SC Chasis (So. Calif.)
Thanks for the link. it looks Nice, but it;s not a turbo as far as I can see.
I am looking for a turbo 911.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TURBOJET
Thanks for the link. it looks Nice, but it;s not a turbo as far as I can see.
I am looking for a turbo 911.
The craigslist link you provided earlier is not a turbo either..........what is your budget?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah930
Like I mentioned before, there are a couple books I think you should check out, for starters. Peter Morgan's Original 911 is a good introductory book. Paul Frere also wrote a book, The Porsche 911 Story; his book is much more technically-oriented, though, as Frere was an engineer by training. They're excellent for giving you pointers on "what goes with what," and the reason why the factory did what it did in terms of development of these cars.

Like sand_man mentioned, factory turbos all came with the wide body you prefer. There were also normally-aspirated (non-turbos) that came with the wide body option, M491. It's not just the wider bodywork, but also beefier suspension and brakes, that come along with that (just not the turbo motor). This option only became available sometime in the mid-80s ('84 or so?). The earlier turbos (late-70s) came with 260 HP 3.0 liter motors and no intercooler. You can distinguish them by their single outlet mufflers and slightly smaller "whale tail" rear wings/spoilers. Later 930s (officially imported from '86-'89) came with a larger 3.3 liter 282 HP motor, intercooler, slightly more prominent "tea tray" rear wing (it has the rubber sideplates on the wing, in addition to the rubber rear lip), and a dual-outlet exhaust. '89 versions also notably came with a 5-speed tranny (and different clutch). Standard issue tires/wheels were wider/bigger over the years.

If you find a turbo from the early 80s, it will be a ROW (Rest of World) model. Even if you find a 930 from the 70s or late 80s, you'll have to check to see if it's a US model or ROW model. Whether or not this is good or bad is subject to debate.

Slant nose option was fairly rare from the factory. Most that you'll see out there are probably aftermarket conversions. The quality of the conversion will depend on whoever did it. Factory fenders were made out of steel. There should be boxed rocker panels. The air inlets in the rear fenders have strakes made out of wood, interestingly. And, IIRC (I could be wrong here), I think that a single motor runs the pop-up headlights (aftermarket conversions commonly used 2 RX-7 motors, one for each light). Factory slant noses (which came in coupe, cab, and targa bodystyles) usually command an increased price, but exactly how much is up to debate. The pricing of aftermarket conversions is as variable as the quality of work put into them.

Another question you're bound to ask is about production numbers. There's a little pocket paperback book, called the 911 Redbook. It'll give VIN-specific year-by-year production numbers for both US and ROW models. It'll even break down coupe vs. cab vs. targa numbers, but I don't think it gives slant nose production numbers. Different sources (who all claim to have factory documentation) seem to give different numbers.

All my stuff is in storage, so what I've told you is from memory. If someone knows I'm wrong, please correct me.

Edit: forgot to answer your question: I think just about all the slant noses (from the factory) were for turbo cars. If there were any for n/a cars, it must have been extremely rare. After all, I think the slant nose option added on about $25K or so to the price of the car. Probably not worth it in the eyes of a n/a buyer. And I can't recall when the factory started to offer the slant option, but I don't think it was until the mid-80s.
wide body? what is the diffrence between these. the 911 turbo does not look as wide as the slant nose? can some one please
explain? the red is 911 turbo ruf. the black is 911 turbo. and the silver is 911 82 non turbo.

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-06-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: