Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Here's your dream car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-PORSCHE-911-%20TURBO_W0QQitemZ120128965253QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1 0156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sure It is? I saw that on ebay . It is aturbo conversion.
but for some reason somthing is off about the shape when I compare it to the silver slant nose beauty I posted earlier.
1- the front suspension needs some lowering.
2- I know that my reason for the car being a targa is to have a hard top convertible. but when I look @ the lines of the silver car ( hard top) they seem more smooth compared to the targa lines. It just makes the car look alot newer with the hard top lines. Right?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
All true but I thought you were looking for a targa widebody.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
All true but I thought you were looking for a targa widebody.
You are right, But now that I have been looking at these cars more and more , I'm starting to notice the diffrences and the detail. I am starting to lean toward the hard top 911 turbo Now. Like i said I am new and I am trying to educate my self a bit befor I make a decision. and you guys are being great help.

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-08-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
When I first started looking to buy a 911 it had to be a coupe.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Have you actually looked at any in the flesh?, it sure don't sound like it.
If your going into Porsche turbo ownership with little or no knowledge of these cars (Porsche) you should buy a WRX. Most people not even associated with Porsche, but who have a reasonably sound knowledge of cars, know what a widebody is.

Last edited by dewolf; 06-09-2007 at 02:07 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I have to admit, when I went to view my first 911 (didn't buy that one) I was unsure if it had a widebody or not.

The easiest way to check is by looking at the front fenders. They are very obvious whether they are wide or not. Just make sure the rears are even wider still

See the difference ?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-09-2007 at 03:23 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
If your going into Porsche turbo ownership with little or no knowledge of these cars (Porsche) you should buy a WRX. Most people not even associated with Porsche, but who have a reasonably sound knowledge of cars, know what a widebody is.
I know what a wide body is. I am not why It sound that I don't. the only think that was confusing me was that some wide bodies came with rear fender vents and and rocker boxes and some did not. these two items make wide body vars look even wider? Agree?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
I have to admit, when I went to view my first 911 (didn't buy that one) I was unsure if it had a widebody or not.

The easiest way to check is by looking at the front fenders. They are very obvious whether they are wide or not. Just make sure the rears are even wider still

See the difference ?
That blue thing is smoking. Nice work.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
WRX , I hope your kidding. I have nothing against WRX, but why whould I be talking 911 turbo and WRX comes in play.I am in for porsche because of every thing Porsche is. I would rather if they were easier to work on, as many people here hint that it is not. but I am sure it would not be a problem for me. I worked on saabs for a few years which are a threat to most mechanics, they do not want to touch them. I'm almost sure if you can work on a saab you can do a classic porsche no problem. with just a little bit of web search you can almost do any thing.
I would not buy a WRX unless I was looking for a 4 wheel drive family car. I have now a saab 900 turbo that I owned for 9 years. that car by now smokes most wrx and shakes a lot of Porsches. I want a porsche because I want a porsche. Oh turbo is a must as you may already know. I will be looking at two 930 slant noses in my area today. I'm hoping to test drive one of them and get a feel of what a classic 930 is. I'm hoping it will blow my mind but Iwill report later. I am looking for a 190 -200 mph porsche but i am not sure which classic porsche beside the RUF had that option.

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-09-2007 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Those rear fender vents and the boxed rockers can be fitted to any 911, narrow or turbo bodied.

Here in the UK Porsche sold a limited number of turbo's (930's)without the slantnose but fitted the vents and rockers. They were called the "930 LE".
I think in the USA it was known as a "slantnose delete" but was not an actual model like the "930 LE" was. Someone mentioned this earlier for you.

IMO I think you are wasting your time turboing a NA 911 that doesn't have a G50 transmission. Only the later 3.2 carrera's had these.

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-09-2007 at 09:38 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

What you REALLY need to do is to subscribe to Excellence magazine instead of buying a Porsche right away. It will introduce you to the entire world of 911's.

First of all, EVERY major tuner and aftermarket supplier advertises in the magazine. You will see all available body kits for these cars from all vendors.

Second, they talk about old Porsche prices and values EVERY month, with a whole section devoted to it.

Third, if you read the articles you will quickly grow to understand what exactly people are doing when they add stuff to make their cars faster. A huge part of Porsche tuning is making the car loose weight, in fact that is as important as gaining power if you want a real supercar.

Fourth, and maybe most important, you will one day discover the 911 you really want. And it may not be a slant nose, in fact I have seen my friend's authentic slant nose up close and they honestly look a little 80's up close. I much prefer my style. Now beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but don't rush into a purchase before you have looked at a ton of porsches.

Just buy a copy of the magazine at a major bookstore chain, and I think you will realize that it contains a lot of the info you want in one place.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Factory version.........steel body....

The same with some upgrade...but still the fectory steel body....

And some more upgrade....but allways with the factory steel body......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdsiqgG-A
http://fr.youtube.com/user/935TURBO
http://www.insonorisation.com
Old 06-09-2007, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Well if your looking for a 190-200mph Porsche like a Ruff and you hav'nt got over $25k-$30k, bye!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
"I am looking for a 190 -200 mph porsche but i am not sure which classic porsche beside the RUF had that option."

WHAT??!! Are you serious?? I honestly think you need to do a little more research...I haven't seen the Yellowbird for sale recently.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by TURBOJET
I am looking for a 190 -200 mph porsche but i am not sure which classic porsche beside the RUF had that option.
...unsubscribing, now....

best of luck to you and yours
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man
...unsubscribing, now....

best of luck to you and yours
Sandman. what happened?. did I offend you in some way? Is their something wrong with my question? I have seen a 190 mph ruf advertised on ebay. I also seen videos of some new 911 turbos doing 203 mph. correct me if I am wrong or if I am seem to be dreaming? These cars do exist right?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
What you REALLY need to do is to subscribe to Excellence magazine instead of buying a Porsche right away. It will introduce you to the entire world of 911's.

First of all, EVERY major tuner and aftermarket supplier advertises in the magazine. You will see all available body kits for these cars from all vendors.

Second, they talk about old Porsche prices and values EVERY month, with a whole section devoted to it.

Third, if you read the articles you will quickly grow to understand what exactly people are doing when they add stuff to make their cars faster. A huge part of Porsche tuning is making the car loose weight, in fact that is as important as gaining power if you want a real supercar.

Fourth, and maybe most important, you will one day discover the 911 you really want. And it may not be a slant nose, in fact I have seen my friend's authentic slant nose up close and they honestly look a little 80's up close. I much prefer my style. Now beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but don't rush into a purchase before you have looked at a ton of porsches.

Just buy a copy of the magazine at a major bookstore chain, and I think you will realize that it contains a lot of the info you want in one place.
sounds like a good Idea. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 935TURBO
Factory version.........steel body....

The same with some upgrade...but still the fectory steel body....

And some more upgrade....but allways with the factory steel body......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdsiqgG-A
Interesting stuff. Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TURBOJET
Sandman. what happened?. did I offend you in some way? Is their something wrong with my question? I have seen a 190 mph ruf advertised on ebay. I also seen videos of some new 911 turbos doing 203 mph. correct me if I am wrong or if I am seem to be dreaming? These cars do exist right? [/Q
UOTE]

Thought you were looking for a ' classic' '80's Turbo not a new one. You should perhaps read what you post.
A Saab 900 turbo that beats WRX's. What exactly is done to your Saab, perhaps you can show us some pics.
Diabolos revisited!!

Last edited by dewolf; 06-09-2007 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dewolf
Quote:
Originally posted by TURBOJET
Sandman. what happened?. did I offend you in some way? Is their something wrong with my question? I have seen a 190 mph ruf advertised on ebay. I also seen videos of some new 911 turbos doing 203 mph. correct me if I am wrong or if I am seem to be dreaming? These cars do exist right? [/Q
UOTE]

Thought you were looking for a ' classic' '80's Turbo not a new one. You should perhaps read what you post.
yes I am looking for a classic 1981 -1989. but as i a learning more found out that 1989 was the last production and it had the 5 speed. what was the top speed on these cars. what did I say wrong. I am still looking for a classic 930. I am sorry but i am confused? Did I offend you too?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: