Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dewolf
Quote:
Originally posted by TURBOJET
Sandman. what happened?. did I offend you in some way? Is their something wrong with my question? I have seen a 190 mph ruf advertised on ebay. I also seen videos of some new 911 turbos doing 203 mph. correct me if I am wrong or if I am seem to be dreaming? These cars do exist right? [/Q
UOTE]

Thought you were looking for a ' classic' '80's Turbo not a new one. You should perhaps read what you post.
A Saab 900 turbo that beats WRX's. What exactly is done to your Saab, perhaps you can show us some pics.
Diabolos revisited!!
will post some tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Unfortunately your questions are all over the place and your writing or language skills could use some work. The result is that you are coming off as either a very young and inexperienced person or a "troll".

The type of 930 that I think you are looking for would be extremely expensive. RUF cars are true exotics and it takes a real brute to hit 190mph.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Basically, Turbojet, people are just thinking that you don't know enough about Porsches to even carry on a meaningful internet posting. I am only trying to help, so hear me out.

You want a 200 mph Porsche yet your price range seems to be under $20 grand.

Seriously, we will all be here in three months. Go buy some magazines and go on Amazon and order some porsche books.

Get back to us when you have a basic understanding of the marketplace and what you need to spend to get the car you want, and we will all help you as much as we can.

But right now, you are just all over the place with your questions to the point that people are sort of not taking you very seriously at this point.

Let me recommend some books for you to get at Amazon. Someone already mentioned Paul Frere and Porsche 911 Story (8th edition). This is the Holy Grail of Porsche books. It will detail every model 911 EVER MADE by the factory. Every one of them.

To give you some idea on conversions and other general stuff about turbo engines and modifying engines, get Bruce Anderson's Porsche 911 Performance handbook (2nd edition). He also writes for Excellence magazine.

To fully understand what normal mods people do on their P-cars that you will run into when you try to buy an EBAY car, get the book by the author who runs Pelican Parts and sponsors this website, Wayne Dempsey. It is '101 projects for your Porsche 911'. Wayne also wrote a book on how to completely rebuild any 80's 911 engine, if that strikes your fancy.

Leffingwell writes an amazing coffee table book about the entire history of Porsche, with all the in-fighting and squabbling and politics that went on behind the scenes at Porsche over the years, as well as all the pictures and info you need about different models. It is 'Porsche 911'.

Starting to see a trend? If a book says Porsche 911, you ought to be reading it.

And when you are done, we will all still be here and you will be able to ask more targeted questions so we can give helpful answers.

Even if you rush out and buy a car, which I don't really recommend yet, you still need these books to get started.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
Basically, Turbojet, people are just thinking that you don't know enough about Porsches to even carry on a meaningful internet posting. I am only trying to help, so hear me out.

You want a 200 mph Porsche yet your price range seems to be under $20 grand.

Seriously, we will all be here in three months. Go buy some magazines and go on Amazon and order some porsche books.

Or you can borrow them from the school library
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

I *wish* my grade school library had Porsche books "back in the day"...

Just a quick note - my wife very much enjoys her WRX. It fits kids and groceries. It can't hit 200mph, but then nor can my 930 and I never want to be in it if it did. Top speed is hardly useful nor fun IMHO - I much rather stay between 50 and 150 and have fun getting to either end of that scale.

rob
79 930
"There used to be a time when 3 pages of posts meant something..."

Last edited by rooked 930; 06-09-2007 at 09:55 PM..
Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rooked 930
I *wish* my grade school library had Porsche books "back in the day"...

Just a quick note - my wife very much enjoys her WRX. It fits kids and groceries. It can't hit 200mph, but then nor can my 930 and I never want to be in it if it did. Top speed is hardly useful nor fun IMHO - I much rather stay between 50 and 150 and have fun getting to either end of that scale.

rob
79 930
My kids bring them home regularly!!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Well I have to say that I sure learned a lot in the last few days. Thanks to all. I will be picking up or reading every Porsche book That comes my way.
Sorry about my writing skills. My first language is not English, but I think I am OK for English being my second languag.

Cheers
Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I have to say that I sure learned a lot in the last few days. Thanks to all. I will be picking up or reading every Porsche book That comes my way.
Sorry about my writing skills. My first language is not English, but I think I am OK for English being my second languag.

Cheers
When you find a car that you are really going to spend your money on, people here will be happy to check it out first!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Turbojet,

Would agree with Rarly's and DDDD's posts above. It sounds as if you don't know what you want. This thread is all the way to page 5, and I still have a very fuzzy idea of what you're looking for.

What are you looking for in a car? Speed? Looks? Daily driver or weekend car?

Why so adamant on purchasing a 930, when it sounds like you've had very little exposure to Porsches? A 20 year-old Porsche is definitely NOT a car for even the average car enthusiast. It's NOT a comfortable car for most people.

What's your budget? (Perhaps the most important question of all.) I don't ask this to be nosy, but rather because I persoonally probably wouldn't be interested in any car less than about $25K. And most decent cars will be in the $30-35K range (or higher). Tack on a few thousand more for a factory slant nose, like you like. Aftermarket slants may not add any value, and possibly even detract from the car's value if not done cleanly. Rebuilding a motor can easily cost $15-20K, depending on what's broken and what mods you do "while you're in there."

You realize that a stock 930 is not nearly as fast (top speed) as you're hoping for, right? I think my owner's manual claims top speed to be around 153 mph. Not that you couldn't make it a 190 mph car, but certainly not on any small budget.

Best of luck. Feel free to ask questions here. People will even be willing to go look at cars for you, if you ask nicely. But I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything until you've done a LOT more research into 930s. And do not buy anything without a PPI.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Noah930

What are you looking for in a car? Speed? Looks? Daily driver or weekend car?

. [/B]
SPEED, LOOKS, WEEKEND.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Turbojet,

What's your budget?
25K 30k
Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Well, then, you're certainly in the ballpark (albeit the lower end) for a 930. The earlier cars (late 70s) I've seen have had asking prices around $25K. Sometimes even in the lower 20s. The later cars (86-89) seem to have asking prices mostly in the $30-35 range. Some more, some less. I got mine for $28.5K so it's certainly possible to get a decent car in your price range. There are always some garage queens with few/no miles that have asking prices for $60K. They seem to be perpetually for sale, so I don't think people are actually paying that much for them.

Don't forget to budget another couple thousand dollars right off the bat to fix things that the PO (Previous Owner) hasn't. Maybe you won't. Maybe you can DIY for a lot less. But budget it, nonetheless.

And, like people have mentioned, repairs aren't necessarily cheap if you have a local shop do them. Despite the legendary Porsche quality, these cars are 20+ years old, by now.

Not going to even mention the tens of thousands of dollars you can easily spend on mods you'll want. You might not want them now, but you will eventually.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dewolf
Quote:
Sandman. what happened?. did I offend you in some way? Is their something wrong with my question? I have seen a 190 mph ruf advertised on ebay. I also seen videos of some new 911 turbos doing 203 mph. correct me if I am wrong or if I am seem to be dreaming? These cars do exist right? [/Q
UOTE]

Thought you were looking for a ' classic' '80's Turbo not a new one. You should perhaps read what you post.
A Saab 900 turbo that beats WRX's. What exactly is done to your Saab, perhaps you can show us some pics.
Diabolos revisited!!
As per your request. here is some pics of my 1988 SAAB 900 SPG That beats most WRX's.

Engine Block: STOCK 2.0 with 160K MILES on it. 80k Miles I put on with lots of hard driving. the tranny was replaced 3 times last time was 5 years ago. a 91 900 s tranny was but in after replacing the reverse gear and going through it. 900 s tranny has better gear ratios to help the low power 900 S, but in 91 all 900 tranny had beefier gears so they are known to be stronger.

Upgrades:
1- T3/T4 T3 42AR, and 50mm T4 compressor wheels and housing.
2- 10psi waste gate)
3- the boost is controlled by SAAB (SWEDISH DYNAMICS) APC (AUTOMATIC PERFORMANCE CONTROL) unit. ( The APC allows to run double base boost (20psi in my case) while monitering Knock and opening the wate gate if knock is detected.
4- 34lb injectors. used on saab 9000 AERO
5-custom mapped ECU 7000rpm with 155 mph.
6- SAAB 900 S , 2.1 larger instake manifold.
7- SAAB 9000 AERO 2.3 cylinder Head.
8- 3.0 BAR FPR.
9- 3 Inch full free flow exhaust.
10-FMIC 27x2.5x8
11- water/ methanol Injection activated @ 10 psi.
12- removed AC system.
13- Custom equal lenth headers.
14- stratmosphere Turbo By pass valve.
15-open air intake filter.
In addition. suspension upgrades all around and and solid motor mounts.

if you need to hear more detail let me know and i will list more but I though that could be enough to give you an idea about my saab That I owned for 9 years and I still own and plan keep.

and here is my conv, that i started restoring 2 years ago while driving it as daily driver.

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-10-2007 at 06:25 PM..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, then, you're certainly in the ballpark (albeit the lower end) for a 930. The earlier cars (late 70s) I've seen have had asking prices around $25K. Sometimes even in the lower 20s. The later cars (86-89) seem to have asking prices mostly in the $30-35 range. Some more, some less. I got mine for $28.5K so it's certainly possible to get a decent car in your price range. There are always some garage queens with few/no miles that have asking prices for $60K. They seem to be perpetually for sale, so I don't think people are actually paying that much for them.

Don't forget to budget another couple thousand dollars right off the bat to fix things that the PO (Previous Owner) hasn't. Maybe you won't. Maybe you can DIY for a lot less. But budget it, nonetheless.

And, like people have mentioned, repairs aren't necessarily cheap if you have a local shop do them. Despite the legendary Porsche quality, these cars are 20+ years old, by now.

Not going to even mention the tens of thousands of dollars you can easily spend on mods you'll want. You might not want them now, but you will eventually.
Thanks, yes i will be doing most of the work, I'm pretty good working on cars when I love them. As far as parts I guess pelican is one of the best sources Right?
Also to just to make this even clearer. i do not mind a conversion slant nose as long as it is nicely done.
yes the factory 505 would be great but I see that most of the 505 turbo are in the 40K.. am I right.
My question would be beside the vallue of the factory steel slant nose. why is the steel slant nose better than the after market kit.
I also like the Slant nose S spoiler that came standard on the euro cars and was a dealer option in the US. I asume people crack these things. but I Know from experience that I am less likley to do so.
I looked this weekend at a 505 white with red interior. Of course he would not let me drive it unless I am buying . but i find it hard to buy a car with out being able to drive it first.

So any pointers on that would be great. I under stand how the 505 owner would be so careful about who to let drive his car. but this man talked to me for 2 hours with out me even asking much questions , but yet he wont even take me for a drive. he also did not mention that the car had body work. I saw the bad welding/ hammer markson the fender seam when I opened the front hood.
he is asking 43K and he owned 12 of these cars. that he is selling some of them. he was a nice man and he took his time educating me. But in the mean time. to sell a car that you know it will sell itself you should just take the buyer for a drive and make the story short. especially that I had my wife their with me which offcourse carries a good portion of the approval rate of bying the car.

Any way. If their is a certain approach to get to test drive a classic porsche pleas let me know.

Thank you

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-11-2007 at 06:17 AM..
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
GO AWAY...
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by e p slick
GO AWAY...
Why do you say that? Do You think saying that makes you a better man?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Why do you say that?

Cause this ain't the snob..I mean Saab forum!!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by onboost
Cause this ain't the snob..I mean Saab forum!!!
What Snop?, you are a funny guy, and you need to chill you and your freind . I posted this because DEWOLF asked to see it. It has nothing to do with you.. OK...How ever I started this thread and if you do not like it. just don,t respod to it. . I would expect you to read through before you leave an angry rude tunnel visioned response.
Take care
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
With all due respect...

With all due respect we mean no insult to any high powered Saab (Taxi cab) driver. Just trying to help you sort out the complexities of this mysterious life. Photo attached of what you might consider as an entry level vehicle. Then you can roll with the rest of us clowns.

EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -

Last edited by e p slick; 06-11-2007 at 07:21 AM..
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Re: With all due respect...

Quote:
Originally posted by e p slick
With all due respect we mean no insult to any high powered Saab (Taxi cab) driver. Just trying to help you sort out the complexities of this mysterious life. Photo attached of what you might consider as an entry level vehicle. Then you can roll with the rest of us clowns.

EPS
Funny #3
why you guys are making this thread becoming a silly one. I am hear to learn and whether you like it or not I am looking into buying a 911 turbo slant nose and I have plans for for it as well. so just chill out relax and wait for me.. if you have nothing positive to post then I would rather you you don't..
Please keep this thread a good one. I am sure it will become useful for someone else in the future.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: