Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

the fastest turbo in the 80's

Well I am new hear. and I am a turbo addict.
I am looking for what could be a 911 turbo 1979-1989. looking for a targa turbo with wide body kit, ruf edition. Is their such thing?
I am cluless to what I should be looking for. but I am looking a fast turbo charged beast looking machine?
Can any one guide me. I am lost

Thanks

Last edited by TURBOJET; 06-06-2007 at 05:45 AM..
Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is a thread at the Rennlist.com 911 turbo forum titled 'best turbo deal ever' or something like that. A guy on EBAY has a $25,000 yellow 78' SC which he spent a huge amount of money converting into a 3.6 turbo with 500 hp.

It is a blinged out car, but if you like that style slantnose, than you may want to check it out because I have a feeling that it will be bought real soon here if it checks out okay.

You need to get a Porsche PPI inspection before even thinking about buying a car like that, which has been essentially completely rebuilt. And check that it is not a salvage car, and do your due diligence.

But it may be a great deal. Almost too much car for $25,000, which is why you need to check it out completely.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. what is PPI inspection?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection
14 535i M Sport
Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

that is sold. But that is what i am looking for? I am now looking at car like it. just not a turbo. I am wondering what it takes to turbo chargea 1979 targa. what turbo, what fuel upgrade. and safe boost control etc.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
You'd better do some research and read up a bit on what you'd like to do. It sounds like you really don't know which direction you want to take. There are all sorts of guys on this forum who are willing to help you out....but you need to be able to focus in on what you'd like to do and better explain yourself. You can also use the search function here to enter subjects like "Turbocharging a Porsche" or "Boost pressure" and othe subjects like that. There's really a wealth of info available to you.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If you want a turbo, buy a turbo. You will far exceed the price difference doing a conversion. Plus you get better suspension, brakes, and fender flares with the extra HP.

Only the later 80's models were available as Targa's and they don't typically sell as well as coupes although a Turbo Targa is a rarer car so it may sell for more.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter
If you want a turbo, buy a turbo. You will far exceed the price difference doing a conversion. Plus you get better suspension, brakes, and fender flares with the extra HP.

Only the later 80's models were available as Targa's and they don't typically sell as well as coupes although a Turbo Targa is a rarer car so it may sell for more.
Well a targa is great but I can do with a sun roof. did turbo models come with sunroofs.
Also as far as suspension how do you compare the suspension between a targa and a turbo. Usually I would be lowering the suspension if it was not already done?
I found that 1979 targa SC 3.0 in my area. it looks like it has RUF wide body kit from what I can tell. the seller is asking 14000 but he claims that the car is super clean. Now if i take a look at the car and it is clean would it be worth turbo charging. How much would it cost and how much power can i get out of it.
is their a place that explains or sells turbo charging kits for targas? and how involved is it?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Almost all US 930's have sunroofs.

Turbo charging a non-turbo charged car (a 911) will cost more than the difference in price to a similar year 930 ninety-nine percent of the time, period. Not only that, you get bigger brakes, better rear trailing arms and pick up points, fender flares, turbo tie rods, and usually a better interior. You can get a nice 930 for $20K to $30K and it will still be worth $20K to $30K years from now. Or you could buy a $14K 911, put $10K into turbo-charging it and have a car worth a little more than $14K. JMHO.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So is their such a thing as 930 turbo slant nose?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
What to do...

Stick with your rice burner.
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Re: What to do...

Quote:
Originally posted by e p slick
Stick with your rice burner.
I am sorry but what do you mean by rice burner?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Diabolos....that you? Just kidding.

First, welcome to the dark side. You have a lot to learn and as others have pointed out, much of this info has been discussed ad nauseaum on this board and on Rennlist. The search button will be your friend. To be honest, the research is all part of the journey. Take your time and find the right car...there are plenty! Even looking and comparing various Ebay listings is a decent way to begin familiarizing yourself with various lingo, models, years, etc...just take the ads with a hefty helping of spices.

As others have pointed out, if you want a Turbo (930 or 965 for example), it's usually "better" to just buy an original one. Maybe post a few listings of cars you're interested in for us to review, and we can possibly fill in some gaps for you. However in the end, you've got rely on the Pre Purchase Inspection by a reputable unbiased Porsche shop.

You seem set on turbo power, but over the years Porsche made some pretty incredible normally aspirated models that would make even the biggest turbo fanatic, satisfied.

Tell us more about your goals, mechanical abilities, experiences...

BTW, I'm posting the following picture all in good fun and for humorous purposes...not calling you a "moron", that was already on the picture. Best of luck...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I will say what I suspect many regulars here are thinking. It appears that you're willing to spend several thousand dollars on a car, but you're not willing to spend a few hours researching the car. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's not looked upon here as very smart.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Maybe this will be just a little more helpful:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/technical_specs/911_guthrie_faq.htm
I think it's important to know some history...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

The "fastest turbo" form the 80s that you might be thinking about is the RUf Yellow Bird CTR. This car was scary fast, but used the narrow 3.2L body (non-Targa)...not the wide body of a 930. Of course Ruf did produce cars based on the 930, too.

Last edited by sand_man; 06-06-2007 at 08:54 AM..
Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter
I will say what I suspect many regulars here are thinking. It appears that you're willing to spend several thousand dollars on a car, but you're not willing to spend a few hours researching the car. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's not looked upon here as very smart.
WRONG.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man
Maybe this will be just a little more helpful:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/technical_specs/911_guthrie_faq.htm
I think it's important to know some history...
Perfect. lesson 1. Got it.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Turbojet,

By the questions you've posted, you're fairly new to the Porsche world. That's OK, as we all were/are at some point (even if it seems like that was at the age of 2 for some of us). But if you want some pointers as to which 911 to get, then give us some idea of what you're looking for in a car, and what your budget is. It's obvious you've got something in mind. But we're not mind readers. Also, there are a bunch of excellent Porsche books you can find--even browse for free at your local Barnes & Noble--that'll give you some history on the 911 and 930 lines.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Sandman provided the perfect answer by referring Turbojet to a really good preliminary writeup. I think you'll find almost all of the guys/gals on this forum more than willing to help, but it's really difficult when the issue presents itself like..."Tell me what I want"....as opposed to "Here's what I think I want...can you give me some guidance?" It's really difficult to try to define a person's wants when they don't give you enough information to go on...and then it becomes sort of a witch hunt trying to figure out how to respond, and in some cases, may result in a rather short response...not intended to be insensitive, but more in line with asking you to define your wants and needs. Sandman's reference should be a sticky for any questions related to your sort of inquiry.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: