Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My time frame is way tight. I need a turbo by tuesday at the latest. What ever I end up purchasing is going to have to happen today and I need to request express shipping as part of the deal. I have to have the turbo on and exhaust fabbed by wed. next week. I leave for LA on thurs. eve and dont want to have to do anything that night but load the car on the trailer.

Brian, I would prefer stick to the Triple K frame as I dont have time to mess with more exhaust mods than needed.

Let me know what you might have in the K27 family?

Thanks!.................................Chris
Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The turbo is a K27 variant but it is not yet for sale. The owner is going a different direction and will sell it when he is ready.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

What did Kevin say when you called him?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Gumba - what's your time frame? I may have something for you.

The K27 series claim-to-fame is that they are a relative bolt-on application that is tailored to the 911 turbo. Kevin and Stephen have done a great job with the series.
The pitfall is the price. The turbo industry has exploded due to the ricer's influence, driving prices down and creating lots of new and better turbos. If you are not locked into the K27 flange style you have options.

All that being said, I would hate to see this great new BBS become the wasteland that is Rennlist. There is no traffic to speak of on the Rennlist 930 board because it has been taken over by sponsor ass kissers that are rude to anyone with a different idea.
Discussion is a good thing
Am I wrong in thinking that a T3 turbine housing with a 4-bolt flange will be a 'bolt-in' replacement for the 3LDZ or K-27 on the exhaust side? On the compressor side, it is easy to match up inlet and outlet, so typically these are not an issue.

The only remaining 'issue' is mating up the oil feed/drain lines and using a reducer if needed for the oil feed. I think one of the Garrett flanges is the same as the KKK (don't recall whether it's inlet or outlet), and one is different. It seems that the inlet would be easier to adapt than the drain, especially since aftermarket headers mostly have the drain tank with the flange welded to it.

In looking at the variations in turbo setup available from a cost perspective, there are many less expensive options which will certainly equal or exceed the performance of the modified KKK's at a FAR lower cost. I would very much like to see more discussion as well....

WRT to needing a KKK turbo today, I have a K-27 7006 with a -9 turbine housing. It will spool faster than a 7200, but may not be a final solution for you as it is prolly 'only' good for ~400 RWHP.

It has ~2mo. use (1000 miles) on it, and I could have it ready to ship out tonight. I'll sell for $500 shipped, ~1/2 what I paid.....
PM me if interested.

Pat K
87 930

Last edited by kellcats521; 06-22-2007 at 07:54 AM..
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Craig, What is Kevin's number at Ultimate? I cant get his web page to load. It just hangs there. Not having any issues with anyone elses pages so who knows.

I will call Kevin and if need be maybe even drive to pick it up if he is close enough.

Thanks......................................Chris
Old 06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by kellcats521
Am I wrong in thinking that a T3 turbine housing with a 4-bolt flange will be a 'bolt-in' replacement for the 3LDZ or K-27 on the exhaust side? On the compressor side, it is easy to match up inlet and outlet, so typically these are not an issue.

The only remaining 'issue' is mating up the oil feed/drain lines and using a reducer if needed for the oil feed. I think one of the Garrett flanges is the same as the KKK (don't recall whether it's inlet or outlet), and one is different. It seems that the inlet would be easier to adapt than the drain, especially since aftermarket headers mostly have the drain tank with the flange welded to it.

In looking at the variations in turbo setup available from a cost perspective, there are many less expensive options which will certainly equal or exceed the performance of the modified KKK's at a FAR lower cost. I would very much like to see more discussion as well.... A triple k and a t3 housing are the same so it is bolt on that portion of it.. the oil drain should be as well the inlet feed line is different though I believe..

WRT to needing a KKK turbo today, I have a K-27 7006 with a -9 turbine housing. It will spool faster than a 7200, but may not be a final solution for you as it is prolly 'only' good for ~400 RWHP.

It has ~2mo. use (1000 miles) on it, and I could have it ready to ship out tonight. I'll sell for $500 shipped, ~1/2 what I paid.....
PM me if interested.

Pat K
87 930

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Me like track days

http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/
(Working here)

Kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

He is in Woodinville Washington - he has NO phone listed on his site and I don't have it - damn.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Thanks Craig. No problem. I got in touch with Chris at TurboKraft and purchased a GT35R. This turbo was just done on a car with almost identical specs as mine and made almost 550 RWHP on 100 octane fuel.

I have become a little more realistic about my HP goals so I decided that ball bearing turbo's are the way to go. Quicker spool and better reliability. GT35R it is!

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated!

................................................Ch ris
Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
How are you going to deal with cooling and scavenge issues on the ball bearing turbo?
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Chris at TurboKraft has taken care of all that in the form of a kit with lines adaptors and the correct oil restriction.

You can call him for more details if you are interested. Im sure he would be glad to answer any questions you ask of him. He's a great guy to deal with!

602-481-0264

.................................................. Chris
Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Hello Pat,

New member here, (great information, thank you) and I was just wondering if you sold your turbo.

Thanks,
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellcats521 View Post

In looking at the variations in turbo setup available from a cost perspective, there are many less expensive options which will certainly equal or exceed the performance of the modified KKK's at a FAR lower cost. I would very much like to see more discussion as well....

PM me if interested.

Pat K
87 930
Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumba11 View Post
Thanks Craig. No problem. I got in touch with Chris at TurboKraft and purchased a GT35R. This turbo was just done on a car with almost identical specs as mine and made almost 550 RWHP on 100 octane fuel.

I have become a little more realistic about my HP goals so I decided that ball bearing turbo's are the way to go. Quicker spool and better reliability. GT35R it is!

Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated!

................................................Ch ris
Good choice! I believe you will be very pleased with Garrett, just make sure cooling is done properly.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Havent done a pull to the rev limit yet, that will take place on the dyno next weekend, but what I have experienced so far is to say the least incredible. I would have to recommend Garrett to anyone looking for an upgrade for CIS or EFI. There is enough variety to deal with any situation.

I'll be posting dyno results soon on my "God bless EFI" thread.

.................................................. .................Chris
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
These bolt on Garretts look interesting: http://www.speedforceracing.com/productsporsche_turbochargers.php

I'm still not convinced they're as reliable as the KKK's so I won't be selling my HF2 if I try a Garrett, but I do think I'll try a Garrett as my next major mod (after I finish a few house projects.)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: