Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.3 Turbo oil inlet

On my 3.3 turbo I am having trouble with Turbo seals blowing my turbo guy thinks it is getting to much oil and needs to be restricted can anyone advise the correct size of the inlet at the turbo to control pressure/volume
Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Could you tell us a little more about your engine? Any mods? Stock turbocharger? Recent engine rebuild? Stock oil lines? Still using the scavenge pump?

In the mean time there is a steel ball that is supposed to be located under the oil pressure switch on top of the engine in between cylinders three and six. This ball acts as an oil restrictor. In some cases when an engine is rebuilt or the oil line is replaced, this ball doesn't make its way back in.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I should also add that under the switch (with the ball) is the turbo oil feed line.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

If the ball is missing, I think it's a 9mm diameter.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sand_man is right- this ball could F!#k up a ball bearing turbo if it is missing. I am pretty sure that I messed my 37R up just by cranking it over without this ball. Also, If you have a ball bearing unit and are unsure of oil supply, I would switch to a diffrent feed line. Im running a -4 AN line with a check-valve restrictor in line. I ran the check valve because I thought that the oil was draining down into the turbo on shut down and I was right. The check valve is a 996 turbo part # and I got a special adapter from Dan at Speed Gallery.
To control pressure and volume I would go with a -3 OR -4 AN line to the turbo and a .060 restrictor jet for a ball bearing turbo, and a .075 restrictor for a journal bearing turbo. This should fix your problem assuming that you dont have scavanging problems...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
What freekin Oil Leak?

This thread might be helpful:
930 Oil Drip Tank Fills When Engine Is Off -->Causes smoking
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The engine has been fully rebuilt new pistons cylinders etc ,I know the ball bearing is there but after reading your replies I have my suspicions about the size of the feed hose is this quite critical?
The turbo is the original but I am interested in possibly changing to a ball bearing type as the car is a daily driver what is the best option ie bolt straight on with minimal modifications etc.
Thanks for your replies
Old 06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by Spruce
The engine has been fully rebuilt new pistons cylinders etc ,I know the ball bearing is there but after reading your replies I have my suspicions about the size of the feed hose is this quite critical?
The turbo is the original but I am interested in possibly changing to a ball bearing type as the car is a daily driver what is the best option ie bolt straight on with minimal modifications etc.
Thanks for your replies
Is the feed hose stock, or something custom like Earls, Aeroquip, etc.?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

The stock oil line to the turbo is part number:
930 107 125 07

Last edited by sand_man; 06-11-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I'm curious though...the "stock" turbo for a 930 is a 3LDZ. Seldom do these turbochargers get rebuilt during a major engine overhaul. It's typical to "upgrade" to a K27-7200 (at a minum), or some variation. Unless of course your car is a 964 Turbo in which case the K27 is standard. What I'm trying to say is, was this turbocharger rebuilt or was it already tired, thus the leaks?

Proper warm up and cool down procedures can also effect turbo life.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If it is a stock turbo with a stock feed line, a proper drip-tank, proper scavanging, there should be no problem. If going to a ball bearing unit, I recommend a Garret GT-35R ball bearing. This would be a great turbo with plenty up top and enough spool up to make most happy. Also I the inlet flange is the same as our stock inlet flange, only the exhaust exit is diffrent.
Caution- get your oiling problems fixed first, ball bearing turbos will have problems if too much pressure is present.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned

The ball is there so that the line doesn't empty on the turbo at shutdown, it doesn't restrict the oil flow whatsoever, you may have an oil scavenge problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

As stated before, if you have a BB CHRA on your car with dynamic seals you MUST use an inline oil restrictor. Ball bearing turbos require nearly 25% less oil pressure than your typical journal style and will leak severely if too much pressure is present. I'd say 1/2 the turbo's I get back here are good aside from blown seals due to excessive pressure....

If you have a Garrett BB, ATP sells direct inline restrictor fittings that screw right into the CHRA inlet, and the line attaches directly to the fittings(pending you have an aftermarket SS braided line)

site is www.vwturbo.com

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 06-14-2007 at 09:36 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

He doesn't., but if he change I'll agree with BoxxerSix.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 930gt-40r

To control pressure and volume I would go with a -3 OR -4 AN line to the turbo and a .060 restrictor jet for a ball bearing turbo, and a .075 restrictor for a journal bearing turbo. This should fix your problem assuming that you dont have scavanging problems...

Should actually be .035-.045 for anything up to a GT35R. Bigger thrust CHRA's will require more oil.....05-.06 would be fine then

here is a direct link to the inline, direct fitment, oil restrictor for a GT35R

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-021&Category_Code=OIL

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 06-14-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BoxxerSix
Should actually be .035-.045 for anything up to a GT35R. Bigger thrust CHRA's will require more oil.....05-.06 would be fine then

here is a direct link to the inline, direct fitment, oil restrictor for a GT35R

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-021&Category_Code=OIL
be careful. I followed atp's suggection and it ate my turbo in 350 miles.. the restrictors are over rated you are better off just controling scavange better

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies ,I am interested to find out assuming I keep using the original turbo (3LDZ) where is the best place to place the .075 restrictor
Thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

you don't need any restrictors with KKK units, you have a scavenge problem., Candy.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Spruce, if you developed a rather sudden scavenge problem it may be similar to a problem I encountered. My 930 developed tailpipe oil smoke at idle. I found that my turbo bearings had worn to the point that the oil flow rate through the turbo exceeded the scavenge pump draw rate while at idle. Since the scavenge pump volume is proportionate to engine rpm the scavenge pump could keep up if if the engine was reved a little, but it was not able to keep up at idle.

Upon disassembly of the turbo my ring seals were fine, but the turbine side bearing had failed.

The bearing deterioration became gradually noticable over a two hour period, though the car was being tracked at the time.

I replaced the turbo bearing housing and bearings and my problems were resolved.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

What do you guys think of this from function 7, it is a turbo inlet flange with built in regulator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160039071485&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us
"Driving in its most beautiful form"
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: