Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
erratic hot idle+hot start issue..whats up?

Yeh me again...I've got an intermittent hot start issue mixed with a intermittent erratic warm idle. I have already changed out the fuel accumulator & filter with new, and checked for any visible fuel leaks. Visibly the sensor plate moves freely with my finger from full open to full closed with no hesitation or apparent sticking.

The hot start issue only seems to happen when I try to start the car after it's hot and has been sitting for an hour or less. If it sits all night, it fires right up. So when it sits all night, it appears that the fuel pressure has not bled off, very strange!

The warm idle issue varies from an idle of say around 900rpm to around 1200rpm. The high idle regularly happens when I start the car after it's been shut off for only a minute or two, then it runs at around 1500rpm, and over about a minute it slowly comes back down to around a normal 1000rpm. Unless it's being weird , then it's around 1200rpm...uurrgh!During the times it does have a hard hot start, it also has the high idle issue that does not go away until the car cools down completely.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Again, both issues do not happen all the time, nor do they always happen together.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you run your AC the car may idle funny. Mine idles crazy when the AC is on. Just a thought.

I know you are having a common problem, if you do a search, there are lots of threads about this topic because it happens.

Or maybe somebody smarter than me can tell you what it might be, I've never had this problem personally but it is common.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dholling13
I have two thoughts:

1. I found that if I unplug my lamda sensor (o2) and then adjust my idle screw on the throttle body, the car is happy even with the ac on.

2. You could adjust the CO screw on the fuel head; I would only do this if you have a gas analyzer just to ensure you don't lean your motor out.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dholling13
Oh,

I almost forgot. A local club member's 930 was doing the same thing, he ended up having a bad front fuel pump. I saw that you mentioned replacing your fuel parts. Might want to check them out...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What year is your 930?
What smog equipment?
Mods?
What is the ambient temperature when these problems occur?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey Brian,
It's an '83 euro spec, no smog, a/c disconnected, B&B muff, stock headers. Problems have been at 50deg. all they way thru 85deg. Odd thing though the high idle happens more in the afternoon then it does in the cool morning on the way to work. The car sat for around 3 years before I bought it. I've run 4 tank fulls thru it with lucas injector cleaner in each tank full. I still have to wonder if I am dealing with age varnish and such. What do you think.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: