Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Leak Help

Hi All,

Have a rather nasty oil leak from the front of the motor. Under the car I can see where it has been running down the case (not a flow,but where it has been coming from), my question is; can these leak oil from the barrel gasket. I can see it's not coming from the oil return tubes. My other thoughts are oil pressure switch etc. Are there any other places at the front topside (right bank, standing behind car) that can't been seen but can leak.

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A couple of things up there...

Oil pressure switch which you mentioned..

Breather hoses can get brittle enough to leak or become oil soaked and deposit enough oil that over time will appear as a leak....

Gasket for case breather which the above mentioned hose goes to..

Oil themostat "O" ring could be weak and leaking...

I'm in the process of curing all if the above as well as a leaky pully seal and intermidiate plate gasket. Tons of fun.

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dholling13
Sounds like Paul said maybe a o-ring or possibly a worn hose. Isn't the main oil sump line in this area?

Where's the cam seal that almost always leaks on these cars? I remember this was leaking and replaced just before I bought y car.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've removed IC etc and still can't see anything. The top of the motor appears dry. Is there anything under the fan and shroud that could be the culprit?

Thanks
Scott
Old 06-13-2007, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

dewolf,

You will probably need to jack the car up and lower the motor down a bit to get too these areas...

look towards the rear of the motor, follow the metal pipe to the area where the hoses are clamp on at the top rear of the motor. That should be your breather. The gasket on the breather leaks. also check the asscociated braided cloth hoses.. squeeze them, some will probably be brittle and break, others will just oil-up... you'd be surprised how much of a mess thes make while you're driving!

Off slightly to the right of the breather will be the oil thermostat.. you have to remove it to get to the o-ring. Repalce it since you're there.

I hope you don't have a barrel gasket going away. Hell, check the VC gaskets too while you're at it. Sometimes its hard to figure where these thing are slinging oil from.

dholling13.. Cam seals usualy hold up pretty well.. your car is a 964, are you speaking of the cam seal on the driver side at the back of the motor? Think that sump line is in drivers side too.
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

onboost,

Cheers for that. I had the thermostat seal done just recently because that was leaking to. I'm thinking about pulling the motor and just doing a rebuild. The PO done 30,000kms in his 16yrs of ownership and I think I'm now paying for that lack of driving!! Car now has 110,000kms on the clock, '85 model.

My other question is, can the barrels be bored out to allow say a 30thou over piston to be fitted?

Last edited by dewolf; 06-13-2007 at 04:54 PM..
Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Update... It is unfortunately a barrel gasket...F@$%....F@$%. So down that mongrel of a slope I go. It's getting heads done etc, 964 cams, new IC and k27-7200 and headers. Will this see 400FWHP on CIS at 1.0bar?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Barrel gasket, really? These generally hold up pretty good over time. If they're leaking, it may be the heads studs are loose or broken.
Reboring the cylinders---no. Not without replating. EBS Racing offers replated bores as a low cost solution versus new Mahles or the more expensive Nickies CNC Cylinders.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Before I tore it appart I would remove intake and fan shroud and make sure it isn't a o-ring on one of the case bolts . There is a small depresion In the case where the nut goes on the case stud that will hold oil if the o-ring is leaking and run down beside barrel base making it look like it is leaking
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mechanic has it now and once on the hoist and running you can see oil draining from the barrel gasket. A small split in the gasket is quite visible, damn!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: