Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Teetering on the slope

I think I'm going to drop the motor and give it a freshen up. One thing I want to do amongst others is put a set of lumpy sounding cams in it. Is this wise and if so am I better off going for a new cam or getting my existing ones re-ground?
I plan on going to a 7200 with headers and IC etc with adj. wur. Also can the barrels be bored 30thou?
Thanks
Scott
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My cams were stock 930 reground to SC profile by John "camgrinder".

SC/964 cams and higher compression will reduce off-boost lag - although the latter will also limit the maximum amount of boost you can run.

Most wrenches who drove my car with just SC cams and 8.0:1 C/R commented on how little lag it had even with stock (RoW) H/E's and 3DLZ.

The K27/HF is more modern (and thus desirable) than the 7200, people say.

Headers, turbo, SC cams will transform the car. I already had SC cams and 8.0:1, adding GHL's, a K27/HF and a Kokeln has made the car behave/drive completely differently.

Imagine Auto/Kevin announced a HyFlow S recently, but i forget if that's limited to EFI application only?

There's a few reasonably-priced ($2,000) sets of new Mahle 965 (fully-finned) barrels/pistons around at the moment, might be cheaper than reboring, depending what pistons you were going to put in afterwards....

BTW, it only looks like a slope from the top.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jump!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

where can those P&C's be found? I've tried a search to no avail.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try Andial, thats where I got mine. Great customer service! 2K seems a little low though as I recall. Make sure you look into flame ringing. It is a great idea and inexpensive to do while your in there. Of course too many "while your in theres" can be very expensive! Be careful with that! LOL!

Just my .02..................................Chris
Old 06-14-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, those "while your in there" are the ones that seem to be bank account emptying, but power cost $$$$$ so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet. I don't want to go outrageous but would like a little over 400fwhp using CIS. We are a bit lucky here in Oz as all cars were Euro spec so my CIS should be up to the task. But I really want it to sound lumpy. We have a guy in our local Porsche club with a 3.2NA( I know it's different for NA motors) but it sounds fantastic at idle, very cammy.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
where can those P&C's be found? I've tried a search to no avail.
There was a thread on the Rennlist turbo forum, the guy was offering 20+ sets of brand new, boxed, Mahle 965 pistons and cylinders, initially for $1,550.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?p=3844705

A few people thought "too good to be true", a few people (including one who lived locally and physically collected his) bought them and found them to be exactly as described.

Last I checked (February/March) he had 17 sets left, offered @ $2,200 each. I came this >< close to buying a set just on general principle.

I no longer see them there, sorry y'all.

Quote:

But I really want it to sound lumpy. We have a guy in our local Porsche club with a 3.2NA( I know it's different for NA motors) but it sounds fantastic at idle, very cammy.

SC cams will give it a loping idle, and "really wakes up a 930 motor" (Chris Powell). I don't think 964 cams are very different, and I seem to remember reading here somewhere that 993TT cams are pretty much SC cams with different ramps for the hydraulic tensioners...

Raising static compression ratio a tad helps too. With an open "muffler", my 'Merkin friends remarked that it sounded like a '69 Camaro at idle. I fitted a muffler that didn't set off car alarms when I started getting the urge to wear a wifebeater and grow a mullet...

Although running 8.0:1 means you can't run 1 bar boost without 100 octane gas (thanks to this board), on reflection I'd rather have better off-boost characteristics - for a street car - than run the extra .2 bar of boost.

Last edited by spuggy; 06-15-2007 at 02:51 AM..
Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have 964 cams that I had reground at Web Cams and they are pretty bouncy at idle. Could have helped that the car was running pretty fat at idle too tho.

Just a warning on Cams. Make sure if you are in a DEQ, or emissions controlled city that you meet their requirements unless you have registration alternatives. I found out AFTER installing my cams that there was a snowballs chance in hell that I would pass smog inspection so I had to get a "special interest" registration. Lucky that the state of Oregon offers that!

HTH..........................................Chris
Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: