Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
400-500HP for a 930 is almost common in the world of normal mods.

Let me throw something else in the mix for you to chew on.
Torque.
What a lot of folks don't understand or don't realize is that the 930 engine is capable of laying down some serious torque at a very low RPM. You can win many street battles that on paper should not have been won because of the long flat torque curve these monsters have.

For example, I know of a certain 911Turbo laying down a little shy of 400RWHP that recently spanked a 500HP Z06 in an agreed upon drag race, even after a boggled shift. 400+ ft/lb of torque from 2500rpm to redline can bring down a lot of iron!

There are lots of threads that will tell you what it takes to get to 500HP.
Basically it's EFI and headwork in combination with a big turbo and headers. Just be sure to bring a big bag of cash.
That's what I noticed about the car I am buying. Torque! All over the place From the second that turbo kicked in, it was pulling hard until I let out of it. With that much torque, I kind of like that 4 speed because things happen really fast!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Is a long lonely road
Old 06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
505 rwhp @ .85 bar with heads, valves, intake, EFI, 72# injectors, turbo, headers, JE 8:1 pistons, clutch, flywheel, ...

I agree with the above posts though. Do the weight reduction first. It pays off better and more consistently. Less risk, more reward.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DRV2FST
505 rwhp @ .85 bar with heads, valves, intake, EFI, 72# injectors, turbo, headers, JE 8:1 pistons, clutch, flywheel, ...

I agree with the above posts though. Do the weight reduction first. It pays off better and more consistently. Less risk, more reward.
I was with ya until you mentioned the pistons

I wonder what you can get out of the 3.3 with just heads, cams, fuel management, chips, headers ect ... ?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know. I am sure you can get about anything you want from these engines. There are sooooo many variables to tinker with. FIRST you have to decide what you are looking for and then make a roadmap to that goal.

If I had it all to do over again, I would reduce weight, work on suspension, work on brakes, work on tires and wheels, then start on engine/transmission.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Me like track days

Friend has about 380 RWHP with STOCK internals, CIS, K27 HF 'S' turbo,
IA fuel head and RPM switch coming soon.....

That is some enjoyable, reliable, affordable HP, my friend.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Yeah, I don't want to get too crazy with this whole thing yet.
I don't even have the car yet but in the test driving, it feels very fast! The tires spin a bit through 1st gear when the boost kicks in. I pick it up Friday. It has a K28 and a B&B exhaust and new injectors. Since it is a Euro car, it should have 300 RWHP out of the box. I don't know how much the exhaust or upgraded turbo adds, but it is plenty quick for now. I am targeting somewhere between 450 and 500 hp when it is all said and done. The body is so nice I don't really want to start stripping sheet metal pieces for carbon fiber, so the lightening process may suffer. Oh well.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Stock Euro 930s to 1986 have 300HP at the crank.
That's about 255RWHP.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx1
Yeah, I don't want to get too crazy with this whole thing yet.
I don't even have the car yet but in the test driving, it feels very fast! The tires spin a bit through 1st gear when the boost kicks in. I pick it up Friday. It has a K28 and a B&B exhaust and new injectors. Since it is a Euro car, it should have 300 RWHP out of the box. I don't know how much the exhaust or upgraded turbo adds, but it is plenty quick for now. I am targeting somewhere between 450 and 500 hp when it is all said and done. The body is so nice I don't really want to start stripping sheet metal pieces for carbon fiber, so the lightening process may suffer. Oh well.
I understand about the nice bodywork. That is why most of us just do bumpers, which will lose you a 100 pounds. Then you can get a lightweight battery, seats, remove the rear seats cushions, door pocket trays, and various knick knacks like the 34 pound spare tire (except for long distance trips) ect. Empty the windshield fluid. Weight loss accumulates, so all the trivial things kind of add up.

Or just leave it alone if that is what you like!

The car you drove with the B+B exhaust and new turbo is very likely already in the 350 hp range. That is how quickly these cars gain power from simple bolt on mods. You can lose weight and gain a few hp with an aftermarket air intake. And they sound neat.

Make sure to have a mechanic do a real porshe ppi inspection before you negoitiate a price or buy it.

Enjoy!

Last edited by DDDD; 06-19-2007 at 07:39 PM..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Stock Euro 930s to 1986 have 300HP at the crank.
That's about 255RWHP.

oh. Well that throws a wrench in the soup.

So what DDDD just said about possibly 350 horsepower, is that crank or RW ? It's hard to figure out just how much power each mod will give you (for a newbie). By the way, I do think there is an intake mod with a cone filter .... looks and sounds nice. I suppose what I'd do if I get the car is have it dyno'd and then I'll have a baseline to work with for future mods.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

something for you to look at

http://www.spezialmotorer.com/
Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by dewolf
something for you to look at

http://www.spezialmotorer.com/
It looks like there is alot of horsepower to be made with just headwork. That's over 600 crank horsepower on that 930 which would be overkill for the street! I don't agree with the surprising sportbike riders, he's apparently never ridden a Gixer 1000 or a R1
Old 06-20-2007, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Head work, cams, bolt-ons, and tuning will get you 400RWHP with CIS.
That is the most economical route. Once EFI is needed in order to open the portal to more power you will hit a money wall.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx1
It looks like there is alot of horsepower to be made with just headwork. That's over 600 crank horsepower on that 930 which would be overkill for the street! I don't agree with the surprising sportbike riders, he's apparently never ridden a Gixer 1000 or a R1
I had a Gixxer and a Ninja.

In corners, in the wind, and even from highway speeds, the more powerful and extreme Porsches can keep up with bikes in a lot of ways.

Just not from a standing start. No chance there. My Ninja would hit 70 mph as I let out the clutch.....

Bikes aren't all that aerodynamic over 100, and I got tired of being crouched down all the time.

I do agree that people who haven't experienced bikes are missing out in something very intense.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
I do agree that people who haven't experienced bikes are missing out in something very intense.
Self included in big bore bike ownership, but go for a ride on a track in a Carrera Cup car, let me you tell that's more intense even as a passenger than any 1-1200cc bike I've ever ridden.
The power, handling and BRAKING are truly mind boggling (2006 Model CCcar). Fast bikes are fun but FAST cars are exhilarating, and safer!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:

In corners, in the wind, and even from highway speeds, the more powerful and extreme Porsches can keep up with bikes in a lot of ways.

Just not from a standing start. No chance there. My Ninja would hit 70 mph as I let out the clutch.....

Bikes aren't all that aerodynamic over 100, and I got tired of being crouched down all the time.

Yeah, I understand that...... I would say over about 130 a bike really starts to take a hit..... any powerful slippery car has a huge advantage at high speeds. If you think about it, most current open class bikes can run a high nine to low ten second quarter mile @ 145+ at the traps with a experience rider.... that's pretty quick. I ran my 02 R1 and best I could do was a 10.49 @ 136. ( magazine editors did 10.19 on that bike) The big problem is keeping the front wheel down. If a car has all wheel drive, that makes it tough on the bike.

I had some fun with a 928 Porsche one time. I let him think he had a chance, then looked over and cracked the throttle open and left him setting

Last edited by Maxx1; 06-20-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I had an incredibly funny experience with some guy on a Japanese power cruiser. I tailed him for miles while he was bent down and going full throttle. The whole bike was shaking and he had one of those quarter helmets on and all his clothing was flapping in the wind and stuff was hanging off his bike and blowing around. He had his bike totally pegged at maybe 120 for like 5 miles, and when the road really cleared out I blew by him like he was in reverse.

I slowed down right away and let him pass again and he gave me a big thumbs up when he took his exit.

I think he liked the fact that my car is louder than his bike with my hissing wastegate dump pipe and wide open exhaust. And his bike was loud.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
I had an incredibly funny experience with some guy on a Japanese power cruiser. I tailed him for miles while he was bent down and going full throttle. The whole bike was shaking and he had one of those quarter helmets on and all his clothing was flapping in the wind and stuff was hanging off his bike and blowing around. He had his bike totally pegged at maybe 120 for like 5 miles, and when the road really cleared out I blew by him like he was in reverse.

I slowed down right away and let him pass again and he gave me a big thumbs up when he took his exit.

I think he liked the fact that my car is louder than his bike with my hissing wastegate dump pipe and wide open exhaust. And his bike was loud.

You know what freaks me out is some of these Jap cars that have been tweeked to the hilt, like a modded WRX-STI or even a stinking well prepped Civic. I was watching some cable TV drag racing show and some of these cars were deep in the 10s through the quarter mile.

Oh well, my street racing days are over. I couldn't afford to risk my driving record over some kid having to prove himself against my car.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

911's can be made to move quite fast.

How does 9.59s/159mph quarter mile sound like?
This is a test drag with 1.8 bar and 920hp (maximum is 2 bar):

A movie:
http://www.garaget.org/video/lsm585bx52u4

World record, 500m and 1000m standing start:
http://62.127.255.50/kalender/Speed_Record_IF.wmv

Last edited by beepbeep; 06-21-2007 at 04:48 AM..
Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:

Let me throw something else in the mix for you to chew on.
Torque.
What a lot of folks don't understand or don't realize is that the 930 engine is capable of laying down some serious torque at a very low RPM. You can win many street battles that on paper should not have been won because of the long flat torque curve these monsters have.
EXCELLENT point, Brian! This was/is something that took me a while to comprehend. I let a guy from my office with a 2004 Mustang Cobra drive my car, and he couldn't fathom how quickly things can happen, all under 5,000 RPMs, and how quickly the car revved to my redline of 6,300 (limited with my XDi controller).
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-21-2007, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: