Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry What other kinds of cars mess with you when you're out cruising around?

Japanese cars? Other Porsches? Ferraris?

When I had my 87 Carrera, it seemed there weren't many other Porsches around, and no Ferraris around, but every other kid in a Toyota or Honda would want to hit it off. I raced a few early on just for fun, but finally I just learned to look over and either smile and wave or give a thumbs up and keep on driving, or laugh at their ridiculous 7 layer aluminum wing and coffee can muffler and keep on driving....

Maybe I'm getting old and crusty, but to risk your license and insurance over proving yourself to someone you don't even know is kind of ridiculous.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

just whip it up to the speed limit in 1st gear, within 2-3secs they know it's over
Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had a 350z "try" to pass me on the on ramp in my town it's a 180 slight bank entrance ramp but as soon as I hit the apex I planted my right foot and blew in his doors . it always make me feel great when my 20 year old car destroys a new car.
1996 Silverton 312 sedan bridge
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Here in Detroit it seems like when they see the "Turbo" script on the deck lid they don't want to play.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-21-2007, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut
Here in Detroit it seems like when they see the "Turbo" script on the deck lid they don't want to play.
I've noticed that too up here. But when I had my NA 911 there was always someone wanting to mess around. The 'turbo' must scare them off or they just know they'll lose.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
When I had my black, stock, '87 930, just about anything on the road would try to get me to race. My current car, a marine blue '87 930, hardly got the same reaction at first. Maybe it was the ivory interior, maybe the C2 turbo wheels, I don't know. It probably looked like a "doctor's car", and most left it alone...

After getting the 17x11x9 wheels, lowering, race seats & rollbar, I mostly get people to catch up in traffic, nod, and basically leave it at that. I think it looks mean and faster than it really is due to the steamroller tires. The car's engine is stock, with some baffling taken out of the stock muffler by the PO. Sounds much meaner than it is.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in a Detroit, too! I guess you guys are right. It's the fear of the unkown. Truth is that any kid with a decent, well set-up, blown Mustang can probably do away with a stock 930 off the line.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Opposite problem here in Oz. Countries full of Jap crap and the wannabes that drive them. The 930 is like a dick-magnet, all the dicks that think they can drive wanna race. Their 'scramjet' blow off valves add at least 500hp dude. When you do run, and they lose, it's the same old crap excuse, "my car's running stock boost", blah,blah,blah.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I notice constantly people take a 930 as a serious threat to there masculinity. Young men and boys from 18-30 cant resist pissing on you. What I mean is they will see you, speed up and pass you, turn in your lane in front of you and slow down to the flow of traffic. Kind of like a dog trying to mark its perceived territory on a fire hydrant. I notice that I can get a whole gaggle of cars to speed up and pretend they don't see me and try at all cost to pass me. Its Porsche envy... Be proud... a tuner could never stir up blood pressure like a Porsche. The original question: In So-Cal everything wants to race you...I cant understand what is with the Chevy trucks ...Oh! I forgot..Those Chrysler station wagons that look like a Hearst/coffin ....constantly. What cracks me up is they act like there not doing it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Red Corvette

Whipped the snot out of some sort of red late year Corvette the other day. We both turned onto long country road - he in front - I pulled up in the wrong lane and the event was on. It was pretty much over by the middle of third gear and he faded fast after realizing he was dead meat. Bring on the Top Fuel car!

EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think I like this tread!

Here in the metro MD/DC/VA metro area you kinda get the same thing robert_snyder described. Ocassionaly some "ricer boy" wants to run.. typiclly the Mitsu Evos.

Back when my little 73 S was on the road, here on the Capitol Beltway it was always the 5.0 mustangs and the corvettes.. they all figured they could take the "old Porsche"... well, some of them could.
It's a different story with its Big brother!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My favorite was a guy in a 996 TT. I wasn't necessarily a ton fast than he was but I was plastered to his bumper. The screwed up thing though was that we both ended up at the same track event that weekend and he would barely look in my direction. We were even in the same run group so he clearly should have known who I was... Maybe he was rethinking whether or not he should have spent his money on that thing.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

930LDR...

Yeah, it always hurts the ego of the boys pushing the 993, 993TT or 996s when the "old style" Porsche (as mine was referred to by someone)either blows they're doors off or they find they can't shake you!

I love it!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut
Same here. Only Mustang owners ever try. My old GTi had everyone trying.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by robert_snyder
I notice that I can get a whole gaggle of cars to speed up and pretend they don't see me and try at all cost to pass me. Its Porsche envy...

Ha! yeah I notice that alot. Guys driving towards me start looking up at their headliner, or in the opposite direction at the guard-rail trying sooo hard to ignore the car.

I've had people act really nice, smile and give plenty of space, or act like idiots where they turn left early just missing the car as I go past, or ride my ass. Big Dodge and Ford trucks seem to like to tailgate me alot no matter how fast I'm going.

Last edited by Maxx1; 06-21-2007 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I had a incident with a Kawasaki 750. Driving about 90 mph on a 4 lane. Guy on the bike pulls up beside, looks over at me. He then proceeds to pull in front of me, drops it 2 gears down and pops a wheelie for about 1 mile until he hits his exit. Very impressive.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Here in Virginia it is Ford country all the way. I see as many as five mustangs when I go anywhere near town. Each customized with some sort of nasty looking crap hanging off the rear of the car and a bunch of gnarly stickers along the rocker panel or on the windshield. Usually the theme is that they don't fear death or some cartoon character peeing on the bumper or something.

I think Stang owners have it worst because they know their car is inferior to even the real American muscle cars, let alone a foreign precision engineered automobile.

Anyway, I ran into a fully blown Mustang with a Roush engine, and it was a quick car, the tires would lite up instantly. We did some roll ons but nothing crazy. Then we came to a stoplight.....

So I let out the clutch just as easy and normal as I ever do, which is the only way to get any longevity out of your clutch. He probably dumped the clutch and got a great launch off the line. I revved up first gear, and my front bumper was maybe at his door. I put it in second and winded up the gear, and instantly my car jumped in front so that his front bumper was maybe at my door. In third gear, I pulled away as though his drivetrain gave out or something.

At the next stop light we looked at each other and he just laughed. I guess he will need one more trip to Roush Racing to straighten things out.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
Here in Virginia it is Ford country all the way.
Wow, that's good news (I work for Ford). I was beginning to think that there was no place left in the country other than Detroit that was "Ford country".

[/QUOTE]
I think Stang owners have it worst because they know their car is inferior to even the real American muscle cars, let alone a foreign precision engineered automobile.
[/QUOTE]

I have to take exception to this statement.
Mustangs, even the older ones (I'm talking the last re-freshening of the Fox platform, 1999-2004 to the present) are a lot of car for the money. If your out racing kids who can only afford clapped-out Mustangs that's one thing but there's more Mustang enthusiasts out there than us Porsche guys and they, on average, have really nice cars, well cared for cars. God bless 'em.

The latest J.D. Powers figures have Ford ahead in quality for the 2006 model year over a lot of "foreign precision engineered automobiles" like Toyota, for example. I think the notion of the inferiority of American cars and Ford cars, specifically, should be a thing of past among literate, logical consumers.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
F O R D

F ound O n R oad D ead
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 06-21-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
im gonna paint my hits on the fender like a old fighter plane. heres my dust list 1. dodge viper he took off and i stayed on his tail then he backed out of it. 2.mustang cobra svt ,just smoked him. 3. sport bike in a wheelie just blasted around him like he was standing still,he was stunned. kick ass car.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: