Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Red face How hard can you bang the gears in the 930s?

I grew up on muscle cars with the Hurst shifted Muncie 4 speeds ..... which was actually pretty good stuff. Slamming gears as hard and fast as you wanted to didn't seem to faze them

How about the Porsches? The only thing I have to go on is my old Carrera which wasn't too good, and my Boxster S which has a much better shifter feel than the Carrera. I haven't tried any really fast shifts because I don't want to stress anything

Are they more durable than I may be thinking ?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

930 gears are durable but synchro's aren't. They are basically same design as 915, which means you can't slam them.

G50> which came after is much easier to shift.

Conclusion: despite having very strong gears, speed-shifting 930 box will wear the synchro gear and leave you with crunching sound. Typically, it will be 3:rd gear synchros that will wear out first.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Even though I have a G-50/50, which, is about the best shifting trans out there for my 930, without major surgury. I would have to say, I am not going to "slam" thru the gears. With a shifter box that's just under 10 grand, I am not going to take the chance of wearing it out, breaking something, or completely granading the box. Unless you have unlimited funds... I would suggest buying a stang or similar car, and get all of that out of your system, and keep the Pcar for high speed track or spirited road driving, which does not require the "banging" of gears....

Now if one was to buy a sequential box....such as a Hewland, etc. well, then you could bang it into the next gear, but then that takes the fun out of it... just my >02cents.....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-22-2007, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Also, the swarf from the synchro's and any broken off dog teeth will damage the rest of the transmission.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, you are going newbie on us! LOL.

Do not dump the clutch on your 930, and shift slowly and carefully. Your car will still be fast. And if you are getting beaten off the line, just power on by in second gear. That way it looks like you are not even trying.

Your car is designed to take off at any speed when already moving, a very good roll-on (in motorcycle speak). Just not from a standing start.

If you can't live with that, just increase the power and decrease the weight and eventually you will be able to nurse it off the line and still go blistering fast.

What all the good race drivers say is that you should always be smooth and deliberate in your shifting, regardless of car type. When you see footage of real racers driving, they don't bang through the gears at all, they are effortless and smooth. All your inputs should be smooth, it keeps the car more stable under braking, acceleration and cornering.

Jackie Stewart used to drive the same car, no matter what it was, faster than anyone else, and it was because he was so smooth with every control that the car never got out of shape.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Please...no "banging":
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man
Please...no "banging":
I didn't realize you were a fan....
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Yea, that was truly priceless!!!! HAHAHAH
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I don't think they like being BANGED!
As a rule of thumb for myself. I always like to say when I shift...
" Check (with slight pause) -Book" that is how it takes me to shift in my 930 as well as my old SC.... the are strong.. just don't like being Banged into gear.. you'll love the car though.. what year did you buy? early or later model 930? if it's a later model you may have the nicer G-50..
Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
This is all very good information and that is why I asked.

I don't want to screw the car up and simply wanted to know the limits of what it can handle. I generally baby my cars but like to jump into it now and then. It's good to know what to do and what not to do. Thanks for the heads up !! I will shift it easy and be cool with my syncros
Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I took my 930 out to the drags...after two days of racing, the clutch went south. I didn't have any problems with shifting. I used the clutch on all shifts, and did move to the next gear as quick as possible.

I doubt if I'll do drag racing on a monthly basis, since the cost of a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel is a deterrent.

The only redeeming factor was that it was A LOT of FUN!!

On hindsight...4,000 rpm launches probably wasn't the best strategy I could have chosen. I'm thinking of a full race clutch this time around....and a little lower rpm launch.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

You left one important thing out What did you run?
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Mine prefers it slow and easy rather than being banged. Wait, we're talking gearboxes.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-23-2007, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by BMAN
+1
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BMAN
13.1 @105mph quarter mile
0-60 foot time was 1.7

There is a lot of room for improvement, I was concerned about the tranny, and shifted at 5000 rpm. I believe mid 12's would be easy to run, just by shifting at red line, but I started worrying about bad things happening... so I probably wasn't a true gear banger.... laugh!

Use me as a example of what not to do.... burnouts and hard launches will fry the clutch.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I got 13.12secs @ 107.41mph
60' was 2.135secs
Totally stock engine, G50 5spd & my car weighed 1250KG with very little fuel in it. Although at the time it was over half full of fuel.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Sounds like you guys are launching them well to get your ET that low. How many mods do either of you have done to your cars?

My friend was drag racing his BPU TT Supra and was spinning through 3rd gear. (6 speed) His best was a 13.70 but his trap speeds were 114-115. I thought I could do better so he let me run 3 times.

The car just won't hook up in first and second. It hops for a while in 3rd and then settles in. The car is bangable, but he's recently had the tranny out to rebuild it. I'd like to see what it would do with slicks.

I would like to run my 930 but really don't feel like tearing it up. That is awfully hard on the car. I suppose with the taller gearing you would have to slip the clutch a bit in 1st to keep the tire from going up in smoke?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My engine was totally stock. See my sig for the body mods.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Note to self: Do not buy used cars from people posting about drag racing their Porsche.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
I got 13.12secs @ 107.41mph
60' was 2.135secs
Totally stock engine, G50 5spd & my car weighed 1250KG with very little fuel in it. Although at the time it was over half full of fuel.
man! That is excellent for a stock car! I'm sure the 5 speed is a big advantage over the 4 speed in a situation like that.

The weird thing about a turbo is you have to keep it on boost and power shift the gears to keep the turbo spooled up.... that is kind of why I posted this thread because I was interested in how hard you could shift these cars to keep the power maximized.

Looks like not very hard in the long run

That's ok, I love my car and can't wait to post a detailed thread about it and how slow it would be with me driving it.

I'll have to look into getting my car weighed and see what little things I can do to lose weight.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: