Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Aggressive cam grind

Does anyone have some specs for an aggressive sounding cam grind, I want it to sound lumpy. Power from 3-6500rpm I am having some stock 930 cams re-ground (or should I get SC cams and have them reground?) and want any suggestions at to grinds that others have used. I'll be fitting k27 and the all usual stuff and retaining CIS. Any input would be welcome.
Thanks
Scott
Old 06-24-2007, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You could go for a 964 grind to your cams. More aggressive than the SC cam.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-24-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Scott, you will be fighting a losing battle on two fronts....
1)., CIS does not like valve overlap (lumpy idle). It sends energy pulses up the intake and to the metering plate, which in turn, screws with your fuel flow.
2). Turbo cars do not do good with a lot of valve overlap. If, you have a large amount of overlap, you will start to blow the intake charge right out of the exhaust during the intake stroke.

If you really want a "lumpy sound" at idle.... buy a "zork" tube, which is a straight pipe right off of the turbo, instead of running a muffler. I don't run anything but that tube anymore. You will be amazed at how "lumpy" the car sounds at idle. It will also allow the turbo to spool up quicker, hense, a quicker car. And you will be amazed at how much the turbo quiets the motor down. It really isn't that loud. It will also allow you to hear the whistling sound from the turbo just about all the time... sounds awesome.

just my .02 cents.... Brad
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

John Dougherty can take care of you.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by turbobrat930
Scott, you will be fighting a losing battle on two fronts....
1)., CIS does not like valve overlap (lumpy idle). It sends energy pulses up the intake and to the metering plate, which in turn, screws with your fuel flow.
just my .02 cents.... Brad
That is not quite correct. It's correct for SC but not for turbo. Turbo has lot's of stuff upstream from intake (intercooler, plumbing, and turbo itself) so chances of pulses surviving a trip trough intercooler and turbo impeller in wrong direction are nill.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally posted by beepbeep
That is not quite correct. It's correct for SC but not for turbo. Turbo has lot's of stuff upstream from intake (intercooler, plumbing, and turbo itself) so chances of pulses surviving a trip trough intercooler and turbo impeller in wrong direction are nill.
You know what? I think you are correct. I was thinking about CIS in general...and now that I think of it, you are right, there is several items that the pulse would have to pass through before it gets to the metering plate... I stand corrected....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-25-2007, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I think 964 cams are about as radical as you should go with CIS. A straight through exhaust will probably do more for the idle sound than the cam anyway.

I've been told my car sounds like a like a big block V8 at low rpm. I don't think so, but it does sound like a car you don't want to mess with .
Old 06-25-2007, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally posted by turbobrat930
You know what? I think you are correct. I was thinking about CIS in general...and now that I think of it, you are right, there is several items that the pulse would have to pass through before it gets to the metering plate... I stand corrected....
No - you are more correct than not. The big cam pulses play hell in the turbo and the air metering plate.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally posted by strokher racing
John Dougherty can take care of you.
Eric???

How is it going? Is you car finished?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You can actually tune your cams to have a choppy idle. Play with the cam timing a little and you'll see what I mean. They may not end up set in an optimum spot but you will see that there is more to a choppy idle than just the basic grind.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally posted by DonE
No - you are more correct than not. The big cam pulses play hell in the turbo and the air metering plate.
I am by no means an expert on this, however the guy advising me may Qualify(Richard Clewitt). I was told about he overlap issues and that I could run 964 cams when I went to EFI. SC cams with a Zork sound pretty kewl.

Hell, I put a Zork on my Dog, and he sounds Kewl when he farts now.

ZORKS Rule!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: