Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What Do You Guys Think Of This Cooler?

It seem like a good idea... Anyone running it?
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-24-2007, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Fabbed My Own

BMAN,

I bought one of those coolers and plumbed it myself. The installation looks just like that photo except mine is slightly lower and I fabbed a shroud to deflect the heat blown off the cylinders.

I lowered it so it was in direct airflow, but not so low it would be damaged from a speed bump.

Yesterday, it was warm in Rancho and had the car jacked to replace a crossover tube exhaust gasket. I had the car running for a while and took some temperature readings with an infrared thermometer. Delta temp between the inlet and outlet was ~ 8-10 degrees. You must not accept that data as accurate. The cooler works by heat transfer, so it would be very inefficient with the car static. I didn't own my turbo last summer so I don't have any history of expected summer temps. But I think if you can get 5-15 degrees cooling it will be worth it. I bought the Cooler for $40 and opened the 3/8 ntp hole to 3/4 pipe thread and bought the fittings from TMR in Orange Ca. It cost about $90 dollars for everything. I think the kit is $230 at Performance Products. I cut my S tube and used it also. It has ~1 inch inside diameter.

Bob
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info... I'll have to think which way I want to go.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If if was me, I'd pass on that cooler and put the money towards a large front mount cooler.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

I totally agree, But in my case the oil lines are not there because I have that 935 type rear fender ram air cooler config. I would like to have a front cooler too. Elephant lines are expensive. I was thinking of fabbing some aluminum tubes to feed the cooler up front. That little cooler does help and worth it if it was a little cheeper.

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Save your $'s and go with a front valance cooler. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: