Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry I just found out my 930 has Web cams ....

I don't know if that's good or not ? .... the seller told me they were stock cams, but in plowing through the piles of receipts last night I see otherwise. The bone head who wrote the receipt didn't specify a part number.
The car pulls well off boost, runs strong as hell on boost and has a nice idle at 1,000 rpm, so they must not be too bad.

Here's another thing; The Porsche mechanic who came to my house last night to do a PPI on my Boxter told me that the Euro spec Turbos have their own Euro part numbers and so good luck in finding pistons and rings when I need them. ...... that doesn't sound right to me... these motor were all 3.3L and the same bore and stroke as far as I know?

Last edited by Maxx1; 06-26-2007 at 05:17 AM..
Old 06-26-2007, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You shouldn't have any trouble finding pistons. Besides, if/when you want to replace them, the dark side will come calling and force you to install 3.4 pistons with fully finned cylinders .
Old 06-26-2007, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter
You shouldn't have any trouble finding pistons. Besides, if/when you want to replace them, the dark side will come calling and force you to install 3.4 pistons with fully finned cylinders .
Amen! What a slippery slope 930 ownership can be...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:

I think I can deal with that!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:

Oh, yes!! The Dark Side.... It has called me for the last year or so...forcing me to spend thousands and thousands over what a normal rebuild would have cost.... Damn the dark side......
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

TOTAL BS...
My engine is from a 1983 Euro, and I order the same freaking gaskets, pistons, cylinders, rings, rockers, valves, tranny parts as a US Model.

Its all the same...

And if its not... Well I've got tons of video that'll show that you'll still have a good time with it, even if they aren't the "correct" parts...

edit: for CIS parts you may have a little trouble... simply because they are Euro CIS parts, but other than that, its all the same...
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 06-26-2007, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Re: I just found out my 930 has Web cams ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx1
I don't know if that's good or not ? .... the seller told me they were stock cams, but in plowing through the piles of receipts last night I see otherwise. The bone head who wrote the receipt didn't specify a part number.
Are you sure they might not have just been reground to stock specs? Do webcams offer that service?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Re: Re: I just found out my 930 has Web cams ....

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
Are you sure they might not have just been reground to stock specs? Do webcams offer that service?
I don't think so... it just says: 2 Web-Cam Remon Cams ....$464.80

It could say Reman cams too ... hard to tell ... what ever that means?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Webcams are very good.
If you have part numbers, you may be able to find your grind.
http://www.webcamshafts.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Webcams are very good.
If you have part numbers, you may be able to find your grind.
http://www.webcamshafts.com/

No, that's what I was saying, the receipt has no PN ... it just says: 2 Web-Cam Remon Cams ....$464.80
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Seriously, I was thinking web cams like naked chicks on their computer web cams!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I think the receipt may be for "reman" short for remanufactured not "remon". If they are regrinds, the camshafts will have a grind number on them at the end of the shafts. Call WebCams once you get that number and they can tell you what kind of grind it is.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by WERK-I
I think the receipt may be for "reman" short for remanufactured not "remon". If they are regrinds, the camshafts will have a grind number on them at the end of the shafts. Call WebCams once you get that number and they can tell you what kind of grind it is.
Oh, yeah that make sense. I'll probably have to wait until it's time to set the valves and then I'll check. Too, I have the phone number of the 2nd owner who had the work done. I can call him and possibly get more info too.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Unfortunately, you won't see the grind number unless you remove the cam sprocket. The number is stamped on the very end of the cams.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-28-2007, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by WERK-I
Unfortunately, you won't see the grind number unless you remove the cam sprocket. The number is stamped on the very end of the cams.

oh

Well, it's good to know it's there if I need to know.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I would have thought remanufactured should mean they are stock spec. If they said Reprofiled then they could be different.

I am guessing they could be remanufactured SC cams?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-30-2007 at 12:31 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
I think the easiest way to find out is call the guy who owned the car when this was done. I have his number and he'll be back from vacation Sunday. Hopefully he remembers what was done and is willing to disclose some info.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I have spoke to previous owners of my P cars, I think every time I have called they are worried I am going to complain that something broke though hehe. The conversation gets better when they find out you are not complaining!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Re: I just found out my 930 has Web cams ....

Quote:
The car pulls well off boost, runs strong as hell on boost and has a nice idle at 1,000 rpm, so they must not be too bad.

Here's another thing; The Porsche mechanic who came to my house last night to do a PPI on my Boxter told me that the Euro spec Turbos have their own Euro part numbers and so good luck in finding pistons and rings when I need them. ...... that doesn't sound right to me... these motor were all 3.3L and the same bore and stroke as far as I know?
If your mechanic told you that I wouldn't let him work on your 930 if I were you. Just a thought...

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Re: Re: Re: I just found out my 930 has Web cams ....

Quote:
I don't think so... it just says: 2 Web-Cam Remon Cams ....$464.80

It could say Reman cams too ... hard to tell ... what ever that means?
I think those are regrinds, that's what the reman means. The Billet cams from them cost more than that. WebCam makes good stuff. I would be happy with it. Used to run them in my 240Z days. I considered them when I did my car, but the timeframe didn't work and I went with IA.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: