Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Wastegate spring identification

I have a 7 5/8" long wastegate spring from a Porsche wastegate. Does anyone know how much boost it is intended to produce?

My factory 6 3/8" spring produces .8 bar/12 psi. The longer spring has exactly one more winding, is the same dia and same wire size.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm curious about this too. I think the only way to really tell is to install it and use an air compressor to see when it opens. But I'm don't know.

So, free bump....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Bill, I tried this with both wastegates hook to a common line from a regulator. The longer spring seemed to crack the valve open about 1.5 psi over the shorter spring/wastgate, so .9 bar. I also measured the wastegates to see if the cap and compressed length of the spring were the same, and everything was identical. Perhaps it's a .9 bar spring, just seems like an odd increment.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Thats the cool thing about the TIAL springs, they are painted a certain color, so you know whats what...

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim2
Bill, I tried this with both wastegates hook to a common line from a regulator. The longer spring seemed to crack the valve open about 1.5 psi over the shorter spring/wastgate, so .9 bar. I also measured the wastegates to see if the cap and compressed length of the spring were the same, and everything was identical. Perhaps it's a .9 bar spring, just seems like an odd increment.
That's how I would have done it. I'd say you have a .9 bar spring there. Is kinda odd, but this test doesn't lie. I wonder if these are the same psi numbers a 1 bar gets so it's really a .9 they just call it a 1 bar cause that's the next incement. I've never heard of a .9 bar spring either. The performance catalog I have right here says the 1bar is 20% over stock and the 1.2bar is 33% over stock.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I tested a 6 3/4 inch spring on the dyno @ 1 bar.

The 7 3/4 inch spring tested @ .7 bar
Old 06-28-2007, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: