Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
oil scavenge purge tank on 79 930

Was thinking of retrofitting the oil scavenge purge tank from an 84 turbo to my 79 930. I am having lots of oil blow by into my intercooler after hard running and was wondering why Porsche installed an oil separator purge tank after the 84 model year? Is it to fix this?
Now my question on the install:
Where does the line from the bottom of the separator connect to the oil sump tank?
Note, I have one hose from the oil pump from the left cam shaft that scavenges the turbo drain tank going into a fitting on the bottom of the oil sump tank. This must be under some oil pressure. There is a blocked off fitting right next to it not being used, is this one safe to use?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I would like to do this mod too.

BUMP
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-30-2007, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Fred? The return line from the turbo scavenge pump goes through the wall of the oil reservoir and carries on up to the filter, from the filter the oil simply dumps into the resevoir. Probably not much pressure though the engine scavenge is also pushing it's discharge through the filter element as well. Only pressure seen would be from restriction of the filter element.

Anyway, the extra capped off port on the reservoir located beside the the turbo scavenge line extends into the reservoir with a tube which is about 3/8" diameter. It makes an immediate curve downwards toward the bottom of the reservoir where it ends about 1" from the bottom of the reservoir.

I put a borescope into my reservoir so I could see what voodoo it contained. Really nice work on the inside - Porsche!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Jim, are you saying that bottom hose on the separator goes onto the oil tank where that cap is?

I have cleaned my tank on my 3.2 carrera in the past and guessed there are baffles in the bottom. Am I correct?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Hi Nathan, I'm just giving Fred some insight to his observations about the two oil lines he discusses in his last paragraph. I've never seen the oil separator used on the later cars and have no idea where or how the factory hooked up the lines.

Unfortionately I don't remember if the layout of the reservoir includes a baffle, though I think it did. It was a couple years ago when I was installing a thermocouple probe into my tank and wanted to see what was inside so I borrowed a borescope. I ended up using the the second fitting which Fred described as being capped off.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thanks Jim.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Thanks for the info Jim,
It makes sense then that the capped fitting can be used for this as it is not subject to pressure that could force oil back up into the oil separator. It probably has a fitting that appears in the diagram in the oil lines from the bottom of the tank that my guess prevents backflow anyway.....at least that is what I would l do.
Now the only question is why Porsche installed this separator in the first place, was it to solve some oil blowby issues or simply emissions related stuff......which in Michigan is not required and "not even on the car" anymore since we dont have state inspections here.
My only reason for installing this breather tank is to improve my oil useage issues after hard driving and prevent oil getting past my turbo and into the intake system.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: