Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up I finally got my dream car of all time and here are the pics ....

So, this is the official: I finally got the freakin car thread' !!

This is an 82 ROW. Cosmetically and mechanically, the thing has been restored close to new. I'm talking new bushings, Bilsteins, brakes, updated cam oil lines, valve guides and seals, rings, clutch-pp-throw out bearings, rear and front wheel bearings, headers and exhaust, cams, injectors, Perma tune ignition, new fuel pumps, fresh Dot 4, new braided brake and oil lines, fresh swepco in the tranny, short shift kit. K28 cheater turbo, B&B header, GHL muffler.

The flattened and buffed urethane black / clear paint has less than 1,000 miles ( new in 03 )...with no previous body damage. Interior is original minus the 930S wheel, Turbo mats and numerical oil temp gauge. It has the original Blaupunkt, seats, carpet, dash and headliner. The interior still has that Porsche smell to it

New 16x9 and 16x8 wheels, new tires, custom made lugs, Porsche crest valve caps ... this guy was a detail nut with deep pockets!. New Porsche crest front spoiler, new smilie, new lenses all the way around, new fog lights and protector covers, new bellows and bumper rubber, new front, back and side glass gaskets, new door and sunroof seals. If something was faded or showed wear of any kind, it was replaced.

The guy I bought this car from purchased it in 02 and said it was in very nice shape except the paint was weathered a bit. He said this car is the Porsche he always wanted, he planned on keeping this car and that's why he sunk so much money into it. He owned 30 some Porsches over the years and is a pretty good mechanic. After selling this one to me, he was still left with 3 other Porsches, so I didn't feel too bad for him. I can tell he does great work and was lucky to find one that has been gone through like this. This car runs and drives basically like a new car. PPI checked all the important mechanicals and other than a few drops of oil, it's an excellent example of the 80s 930.

Mileage records seemed to begin around 86, so the 1st 4 years are unknown.... but from 86 to present the mileage is accounted for with about 100 receipts. I was wondering why a 29,000 mile car, or even a 69,000 mile car would need new rings and a valve job? I will call the second owner and try to get those answers since he is the guy who had the work done.

Anyway..... I got it! I love it and you NEVER see an 80s turbo on the streets where I live ..... or at car shows. I took it to a show last week and a huge mob gathered around the car.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Last edited by Maxx1; 07-01-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Red face

Last edited by Maxx1; 06-30-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Talking

That’s about it.... this is a pretty quick car. I don’t know what cams he put in it, but it does have the header and K&N intake…. Seems like it runs a bit on the rich side too, so I have no idea how it is set up. I got a historic plate for it and it is a one time fee of $30. No pollution check either.

It came with the tool kit, a high quality lockable fitted cover and storage bag, first aid kit, flares, 2 piece bra, manual and lots of records and receipts.

The bad things are; the car slipped past the EPA and DOT .... no mods whatsoever and no records, slight oil drip, unknown mileage, a few slight sanding scratches - if you know where to look, dash is a slightly shrunk, no security alarm, sunvisors have a few wrinkles in them, tires are Yokohamas.

Do you guys think it was worth $30K ? Driving it and seeing how how solid it feels, I kind of did. Everything is aligned perfect, the doors closing is just amazing ..... this is a tight car !

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Maxx1; 06-30-2007 at 11:21 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Wow!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That's a very nice looking car with some good bolt-ons. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Great find!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Very nice!

That is actually a EVO intake assembly, not K&N. I have the same one from Stephen Kaspar of Imagine Auto.

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-30-2007 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Intake Assembly

Please pardon the hijacking of this thread

Nathan,
I searched Kaspar's site and I could not locate the intake filter and pipe you displayed in the thread above. It's just what I'm looking for.
Please send me some additional info:
dad10@comcast.net

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Re: Intake Assembly

Quote:
Originally posted by lucittm

Nathan,
I searched Kaspar's site and I could not locate the intake filter and pipe you displayed in the thread above. It's just what I'm looking for.
dad10@comcast.net

Thanks,
Mark
Doesn't your stock unit work? You should do some research before buying.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great looking car!

IMHO it needs a little lowering... Enjoy it.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nice Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Re: Intake Assembly

Quote:
Originally posted by lucittm

Nathan,
dad10@comcast.net

Thanks,
Mark
Email sent.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Metal Guru

Garage
Maxx, very nice car!
That's the way to buy them: be patient, find one that's been worshipped by it's previous owner and PAY HIM WHAT HE WANTS. To take a junker and make it that nice will cost far more than you paid for yours (it took me a few tries to learn that, by the way).
IMO, you got yourself a super deal there.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Re: Re: Intake Assembly

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
Email sent.

Geez, you guys ever think about using the PM for personal messages ?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut
Maxx, very nice car!
That's the way to buy them: be patient, find one that's been worshipped by it's previous owner and PAY HIM WHAT HE WANTS. To take a junker and make it that nice will cost far more than you paid for yours (it took me a few tries to learn that, by the way).
IMO, you got yourself a super deal there.

Thanks. I found that after restoring a few old muscle cars, that was true. I not only burned out working on the thing, but spent as much or more money than I would get out of it. Basically all the labor was free.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We all learn that lesson the hard way. Ever see the book "The gold plated Porsche"? It is a chronical of how one wayward fellow sunk $80K into an SC. Consider yourself lucky, ha!

PMs don't work well for me personally, I sometimes get several of them a day. The box fills up too fast and requires a lot of maintenance. It is also a pop-up which is blocked by the firewall on my computer.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Re: Re: Re: Intake Assembly

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx1
Geez, you guys ever think about using the PM for personal messages ?

I do use PM, but he left his email so I guessed he preferred that for some reason.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Assembly

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanUK
I do use PM, but he left his email so I guessed he preferred that for some reason.
No sweat
Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel Antonett
Great looking car!

IMHO it needs a little lowering... Enjoy it.
Nice looking, but needs to be lowered to about 24.5 to 24.75 inches or so with 1 degree of nose down rake. Just use all the factory camber and rake specs, but bring it down a little more than Euro height, which is 25 inches. You can do that when you need an alignment, because you'll need an alignment once you are done! Always measure ride height from the car frame and suspension, not from your fenders. Bodywork can often be off a little.

You really want a better intercooler if you are driving in hot weather. That factory one is pretty much a joke above 88 degrees.

But the car looks nice.

Now that I know you have a permatune, I will mention that my particular mechanic has had to replace a couple of those. I mention this mainly because you said your car stalled out one time, which normally indicates you aren't getting a spark, or else, like you said-the car is running rich and this might clog up your spark plugs when decelerating. Don't worry about the permatune, you will know if it does start to have problems because your car will start missing. That is not likely the problem, more likely you should have your air to fuel ratio checked in your fuel/CIS system to make sure you are at about 12.0 and not significantly lower or higher, across your rev band.

You have a solid platform to get started with, and any tweaking you do will be worth it. You really should have your CIS system checked out for air to fuel ratio, especially if it seems rich and stalled once on deceleration.

30 grand is about the price you have to pay to get a rust free and solid 930. The reason your engine may have been rebuilt after very low miles is the same as my car, the seals and everything else in the engine goes lame when the car is just sitting for years on end. Garage queens never run as well as porsches that are used once or twice a week.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Maxx, nice car - PERIOD

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: