Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest EFI.....Flying solo........

Hey guys,

I was supposed to be taking my car to Spectre Performance in LA this week to have Scott Clark do my EFI installation and dyno tuning on the Porsche. This is not going to happen now as another sponsored car has bumped my project with them. I am very disappointed that Scott is busy as I wanted expert hands to be involved in this all the way through.

I am now going to do the installation alone and have a completion goal for the 10th of this month. I have a HUGE show to get to in Idaho and I dont want to miss it as it is one of the most important shows for me to be at this year.

I am very good with wiring and making clean harnesses when it comes to car audio and electronics. Im sure this will carry over for a much higher quality installation.

Could you guys please give me any pointers or things I should avoid doing during install. Things like where is the best place to ground sensors, ecm, etc. How critical is it that they all be grouded at the same point? Those kind of things....

I just need an idea of where and how the best way to get started is. I already have the car gutted and ready for new electronics so I think Im ahead in that department.

Thanks for any advice here! I think by doing this my self I will also learn alot more about it and be able to take care of any problems in the future for the most part my self.

Tom are you reading this? Are there any other local pelicans in Portland Oregon that would like to get involved with my project?

.......................Chris
Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

gsf is in portland
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
You might have a look at the panel in the left rear of the engine compartment to determine if it's staying or going. It is a good disconnect point for general sensors and power taps but I chose to clean up my engine bay and eliminate this panel. However, in doing so I overlooked a few disconnects for engine removal which I had to go back and add afterwords.

On the inner fender just forward of the engine bay fuel filter there is a stud which provides ground for the CDI and various engine sensors. It has a brass pad which is brazed to the inner fender. Though my install was SDS I never saw any mention of using a common ground point, but in the instructions there were NUMEROUS mentions of locating a good quality, clean, dry ground location.

Your ahead of the game based on your description of doing quality stereo installs.

Sounds like you might have a few long hours ahead. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Be sure that all sensor leads are shielded and well grounded! This can ruin your whole day if these low voltage sensor signal feeds are not useable by the ECU.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can you purchase shielded cable somewhere for this application?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Well, I'm not sure of the vendors-----don't think Pelican carries anything like that. But you need high temp insulation and something that is impervious to grease/oil. Also, watertight automotive style connectors that offer shielding.
You can join the efi101.com forums---great source of tech info regarding efi conversions and tuning to find a recommended wire harness vendor. Good luck.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 07-03-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

so what do you do with the last few inches of wire that are exposed on the factory replacement pigtails? I am assuming you dont need to tear a brand new plug apart and rewire it?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I started by removing the stock engine harness and building a new one without all the CIS crap. Here's a drawing of the stock 78 and my new harness. There's (at least) one error, I believe it's pin 12 that's supposed to be black/purple for the tach signal. I bought a new 14 pin connector and pins plus all the other connectors to build the brand new harness.

With all the sensors, injectors, etc installed on the engine, I laid out the EFI harness and built it.

I used Deutch DTM connectors with gold pins where possible. They're a bit more expensive and require use of a $300 crimper, but I think it's worth it (especially if you can borrow the crimper like I did ). I bought an unterminated harness for the Motec ECU which had Tefzel wires and sheilded wires for the sensors. Tefzel's the best but it's also high dollar. I used cheap shrink tubing rather than Raychem and I hope I don't reqret it.

Send me your email and I'll send you some info on the '77

Here's the finished engine harness:

Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Like David, I disassembled the factory harness and "rebuilt" it completely. There are quite a number of pins that are no longer needed (e.g. overboost switch).

For my ECU, it is STRONGLY recommended that you use star-wire technique for grounding, and sensor ground should all connect directly back to the ECU. Read the ECU manual and see if there's any special recommendation.

I ended up grounding everything onto the engine block then a dedicated ground wire to the chassis ground in the front; where my battery is also grounded.

Good luck & be patient!
Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: