Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Great work Brian, kudos for not just talking tech but for making the leap and doing something about it.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The leap wasn't cheap, we'll see how it goes.

Interesting you should bring up the placement of the tail pipe, I put some thought into that as well.
The tail pipe is about 1/2" or so from the bumper and stops flush with the outline of the valance and quarter extension as they wrap around the corner of the bumper. This length was done purposely so that the soot would form on the bottom of the bumper instead of on the side. You can't see it so well that way.
I have found that using bug and tar remover works best to clean off the soot.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Good looking muffler, Brian & Ben

Thanks for sticking with superior 321 SS, costly but worth it. I also notice the smooth line it makes under the valance.
Peugeot moped
Old 07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Symmetry was important in the design. I've seen too many lumpy looking creations that end up being painted black to hide. As much as these things cost you shouldn't have to hide them.

Here is a picture of the tail pipe.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I saw this link before, & this one sounded Awesome!! I would like to here your latest version with the muffler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdsiqgG-A
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Kellcats521,

I don't disagree - if a car can be modified, and burn cleaner than what the original factory exhaust setup provided, why should it matter whether you do or don't have cats, and other smog related equipment. Unfortunately that's not how the emissions regulations were written. Am I incorrect, doesn't the emission tail pipe test detect whether there is or isn't a functioning cat on a car through analysis of the output gases.

Was your emission (dyno) testing anything other than a measure of CO? The state inspection measures NOx and Hydrocarbons as well.

David
Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Akila - the zork is rather harsh in a residential setting. My exhaust sounds just like that with less volume.

Looks like I need to find someone in Huntsville with a digi-cam. Is that all I need to post on YouTube?

David - some states require a visual inspection along with the sniffer. If that is the case you will need a cat to pass the visual portion of the test. It is entirely possible to pass the smog portion of the check without a cat. All the test cares about is the level of pollutants being measured, not how they got to that low point.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

RarlyL8,
Yes, a Digital camera w/ video, & the software on your computer to play it. You can YouTube, or just upload the file, of course you have to locate the file as you would a picture, & I believe all who's Computers have a video player such as Window Media, will be able to view.
When I used to have the unplugged Harley, I couldnt ride it early or late or at night, just too loud! When my Brother gunns his in a parking garage, in the L.A. area, with a stock system, he sets off a bunch of car alarms, he seems to get a kick out of that!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dyerkes
Kellcats521,

I don't disagree - if a car can be modified, and burn cleaner than what the original factory exhaust setup provided, why should it matter whether you do or don't have cats, and other smog related equipment. Unfortunately that's not how the emissions regulations were written. Am I incorrect, doesn't the emission tail pipe test detect whether there is or isn't a functioning cat on a car through analysis of the output gases.

Was your emission (dyno) testing anything other than a measure of CO? The state inspection measures NOx and Hydrocarbons as well.

David
The tailpipe test detects CO, HC, NOx, and IIRC a CO2/CO ratio. The EPA (and therefore states) also mandates that original emission control equipment is not modified or altered, which includes EGR, CAT, smog pumps, etc. Newer cars w/OBD III will produce a trouble code if any of this equipment fails or is altered, but in pre-1997 vehicles, only a visual inspection can identify issues. Technically, my car fails the visual part of the test, but the person who tested my car either didn't notice that it had no cat (and that the smog pump belt was gone), or didn't bother to check it out. Most of the inspectors are pretty diligent here in Atlanta, but with a Porsche turbo there appears to be a 'lot' of exhaust stuff in a small place....

Anyway, I passed all of the imperical tests - HC, CO, NOx, and CO/CO2 ratio, without a cat or operational smog pump.

Pat K
87 930
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rarly, how much and how long it'll take to get one?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Right now production time is about a week. High gloss polish takes an extra week. If you want the satin polish I can do it in an extra day or so. Need a waste gate dump pipe as well?
Pricing is listed on my website: www.RarlyL8.com
E-mail me with your needs and I'll work you up a quote.

You're in Birmingham. I'll install it for you at no charge if you want to drive to Huntsville. I'd love to get a closer look at your car!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Brian, just wanted to add to all of the Kudos that are being thrown your way.. Very nice job... Thanks for stepping up to the plate, so the end user has somewhere else to go besides B&B, and other companies.... The product looks good, and I am also glad to hear that you will be offering a right side exit down the road.... I could never get over the bend to go to the left side....but know after your explaination, i know why you did it... I dont have any emmissions down here below ATL in Macon, So I just run a Zork tube, and am very happy with it....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks, I appreciate the support.
My focus is based on enthusiasm for the 911 Turbo and the DIY community. That's where I live and those are the needs that I understand. I made a lot of cool stuff for myself over the years. Now I get the opportunity to share it with you.

As for the passenger's side outlet. It's really a no-brainer design with exceptional functionality. I'll start another thread to get some input from those that have done it and those that would like to so I can get a feel for what they do about the valance issue.

On a different note I took a ride early this morning, man this thing ROCKS! I love it! The engine just feels "alive". It revs easier, pulls harder, and barks louder. That stock muffler is gonna gather some dust.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Got Plans To Show @ GAF!

Brian,

Thanks for keeping in touch, and providing me with the requested information. I am happy to let you know I have plans to purchase and sport your muffler on my 930 RSR at this years German Auto Fest.

As I am sure you all well know, Turbo's are the featured car. I wonder if I will be the only one sporting duck-tail. I am really looking forward to a great showing of 930's.

Ben, you also forwarded information regarding the new muffler. I appreciate the efforts in design made regarding install/removal. It sure seems like the perfect fit and design for my car's styling.

Thank you both,

Paul
Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Brian, glad to see my bumper looking so good! Will the new exhaust clear the B&B oil tank ok?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Glad to hear it Paul!
We've got another bit of good news for you, the muffler can be ceramic coated BLACK. That would really go well with your theme. We'll put it all together when you're ready.

If anyone else would like to feature one of our mufflers at the German Auto Fest I'm all ears. We will gladly do special pricing in exchange for some great exposure!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Gary, it clears the stock 930 tank so I assume it clears the B&B. One of the mufflers was sold (at a discount for fitment feedback) to a fellow with B&Bs, I have not yet heard back from him.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
In the Slow Lane

Any feedback on the fitment with B&B's... looks great.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Not yet but I have located another car for a possible test fit.
Can you post a picture of your turbo oil tank? That is the issue. I have seen 3 different designs. It really is no problem as I can put a smooth depression in the pipe to clear it, just need to know exactly where. Moving the tailpipe is a last resort as it takes away from the ease of installation.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Brian's zork pipe is cool because it fits without any need for flanges or adjustments right under the stock valance. It really sounds mean, I love it but if I lived in the city or even in town I would have to think about the noise attracting cops. It rules in the country. Everyone out here has loud cars or trucks, and the zork holds it's own like no other Porsche exhaust around here. Sounds like a Harley at stoplights.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: