Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
New Light Weight 930 Muffler from RarlyL8

Time to make this official.

There is a new alternative for the aftermarket 930 muffler. This one is simple, stout, and at 10 pounds is likely the lightest performance muffler on the market this side of a zork tube.

The 930 exhaust products found on my website are designed by me and manufactured by M&K. The quality is the same high standard that M&K maintains for their line of 911 mufflers. Every item is built using 321 stainless steel and manufactured with superior weld quality that will withstand the torturous heat delivered from your turbo.

The sound is not for the timid. It's not zork tube loud but rather muscle car loud. It makes a statement at idle. At take off you hear that sweet turbo whizz followed by the signature 930 cackle when shifting or lifting the throttle. The exhaust rumble disappears when you near highway speeds leaving only the turbo spool.
Don't like the cackle on decel? Push in the clutch and it disappears.

Installation and removal can be done with the bumper and valance left on the car. You do not even have to jack your car up.

Great lengths were taken to design in ease of installation and removal. Four 17mm nuts and it's on or off. You may not be able to get your stock muffler (or whatever else you have) off that way but this muffler does not require any disassembly of your car to install or remove, and at 10 pounds does not require a muffler strap (as long as you retain your stock turbo bracket).

So there you have it. Strong, light weight, easy to install or remove, and priced competitively. It is also designed and built by fellow Pelicanites.

Pelican Parts has agreed to stock the new muffler in the near future. In the mean time Pelican has granted me permission to introduce the product here on the forum. Thanks!

Huge props to TomF for painting my bumper. Incredible effort and a fantastic job!
Thanks also to GaryR for selling me a complete Euro bumper for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 07-08-2007 at 03:08 PM..
Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

Wow! that looks great!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work!

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Any plans for a 964 turbo version?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Looks great !

A couple of questions - how loud is it compared with say a Borla? And the Zork tube? (I know - it subjective, but...)

And will you have a version where the tail pipe comes out from the right side instead?

What is the distance between the muffler & the turbo? Is there enough room for a WBO2 sensor?

thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How about a sound byte? Maybe list the Zork & this one on your website.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Akila
How about a sound byte? Maybe list the Zork & this one on your website.
Just what I was thinking! I'd love to hear the exhaust before committing to have it shipped to Hawaii.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-08-2007, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by hobieboy
Looks great !

And will you have a version where the tail pipe comes out from the right side instead?

It seems natural for these 911/930s to have a cutout for the exhaust exit out the right side of the car. I wonder why Porsche chose to do it on the left?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

10 pounds eh? Dang. Looks nice.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxx1
It seems natural for these 911/930s to have a cutout for the exhaust exit out the right side of the car. I wonder why Porsche chose to do it on the left?
Because of the cat... the factory set up has the cat sitting above the muffler with a "U" joining them, hence the tail pipe comes out from the left side.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Looks really great, Brian!!! Props to you!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think Brian plans to do the right exit but for a while stick to 1 model till they are established.. I warned that when I started M&K I had everybody and their brother wanting custom stuff or 1 off stuff and in the beginning that just slows everything. after a while you can take that on but you need to have a feel for what everybody REALLY needs. as there are so many that type they want one of these and when it come comes time to put their money where their mouth is they disappear.. Anyhow long story short is I think he plans to do them.. Oh on my car I have a right exit and it is realitivly quiet for being straight out the side..

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brian, it looks AWESOME!!!!!

Mine should be here any day now!!!!!! I will be spreading the word (and the wonderful sound) up in the great white north EH!
(Not so white at 93 degrees today)......

Thanks for the AMAZING service and communication too!!

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The passenger's side exit would not only be simpler but also much less expensive. The stock exit tail pipe is designed to route around everthing as tight as possible to give optimum room for air flow and installation.

The problem with the passenger's side exit is the valance. That modification will no longer allow the exhaust system to be a bolt-on. As Ben stated I need to get some exposure with the stock replacement muffler before adding custom systems such as a passenger's side exit with a pre-cut fiberglass valance.

A 964 C2T system would be a natural to produce along with the passenger's side exit mufflers.

There is about 1/2" clearance between the bottom of a K27 and the tail pipe.

O2 sensor bungs are available as an option and will be located optimally just past the muffler body.

The db level is more than a dual outlet MagnaFlow but less than a Zork. Borlas come in many configurations so it is hard to compare. Likely the sound is similar to a straight through Borla.

I find sound bites on the web to be pretty useless due to volume control. You can get an idea of the sound quality but not quantity. I have had offers from folks to do a You-Tube (?) web video thing which I probably should consider. For now just consider the db level to be loud but not as loud as a Zork, that way no one is dissapointed. I can idle through my neighborhood and not have bricks thrown at me. A few looks, but no bricks.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally posted by mb911
I think Brian plans to do the right exit but for a while stick to 1 model till they are established.. I warned that when I started M&K I had everybody and their brother wanting custom stuff or 1 off stuff and in the beginning that just slows everything. after a while you can take that on but you need to have a feel for what everybody REALLY needs. as there are so many that type they want one of these and when it come comes time to put their money where their mouth is they disappear.. Anyhow long story short is I think he plans to do them.. Oh on my car I have a right exit and it is relatively quiet for being straight out the side..
Good stuff. Congrats.

However, because of the very sharp 180 degree turn, I would think there is significant back pressure at higher RPM. This includes the pulse waves as well as gases. You might want to consider a template (in the kit) to cut the valence (very simple), and add a nice pipe for the factory wastegate to exit out the driver's side. I say simple because I did this with mine - it took about a half day to make and fit everything. This might attract more performance junkies too, and "looks" like a dual exhaust.

Again, congrats - good stuff.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Brian.....

Box just arrived 5 minutes ago! Looks fantastic. I went with full polish (I only wanted the exit pipe polished, but Brian couldn't leave well enough alone ;-)).
I will post pics of install in a few days.

I delivered my car to the paint shop this morning. They are just doing a little clean up (Hood, front fenders and bumper, as well as rear bumper), and I will go over, likely tomorrow night, once the bumper is off, and remove the big can, and install your system.....pics to follow.

Thanks again, arrived quickly and in time for my rebuild, as promised, and in perfect condition.

Cheers,

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Glad to hear the delivery went as planned. Canada was a little tricky.

The 180 bend will always be an issue for ultimate performance. Any muffler that exits out the driver's side will have to deal with reversion pulses and back presure.

I designed that bend to take up the same physical space as the stock 930 unit but to have an exact path for the exhaust to follow instead of bouncing off of a domed wall. That is why I used a straight-through muffler instead of the typical large case that you see. The 180 bend is actually a weld-el that opens up the ID to a larger dimension than the path lead to it and away from it, which is 3" ID.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
For the wish list - replace the muffler with a cat and add passenger-side exit pipe. I can't believe with all of the EPA restrictions and environmentally "Green" efforts, that there isn't a huge market for maximizing throughput while staying "green" if not legal as well.

David
1986 911 Turbo
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dyerkes
For the wish list - replace the muffler with a cat and add passenger-side exit pipe. I can't believe with all of the EPA restrictions and environmentally "Green" efforts, that there isn't a huge market for maximizing throughput while staying "green" if not legal as well.
If my car passes the emission test (dyno-based test in an EPA non-attainment zone) with a zork tube (no cat or muffler) and no operating smog equipment, why is it less 'green' (your quotes, not mine) than a car that passes with all of that extra baggage on it?

I totally understand the operation of the typical emission control system, and why it's there, but the reality is that good tuning 'works' just as well (actually it works much better) in reducing emissions as this extra equipment.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Brian,

Have you got a closeup pic of where the tailpipe exits under the bumper? My old stock pipe caused a nice blackened mess just above on the bumper.

Running a little rich comes with the territory...

Rob
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: